Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 671 announced (on Oade)  (Read 89449 times)

Offline MattinSTL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Marantz PMD 671 announced (on Oade)
« Reply #240 on: October 02, 2005, 12:04:51 AM »
Damn dude! You are one incredibly helpful guy! Thanks! :)

Edit: Yeah I just check it and that worked exactly like you said. Okay Sound Forge still doesn't want to open the files... but I'm making progress. Also the little hiss thing I was hearing sounds like a grounding problem or something... I'm waiting for my good cables to come in and I've got a mess of Hosa junk running between my pre and 671... so I'm guessing the new cables should take care of what I thought was hiss... but I think it's something else. Thanks again for your help.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 12:12:47 AM by MattinSTL »
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #241 on: October 02, 2005, 07:46:28 AM »
the problem you are seeing (i think) is that Marantz chose the new microsoft .wav protocol when saving its files.  and most apps dont recognize them
I think there is a firmware fix for this.  its discussed on the oade board.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #242 on: October 02, 2005, 10:59:09 AM »
Dumb question, but....
Can I transfer to a USB 1.1 port? I don't have USB 2.0...  ???
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #243 on: October 02, 2005, 12:03:05 PM »
yes

Dumb question, but....

Offline Chuck

« Reply #244 on: October 02, 2005, 12:17:13 PM »
yes

Dumb question, but....

Thanks Nick +T

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #245 on: October 02, 2005, 01:44:42 PM »
The Connection for USB 1.x and 2.0 are the same. A 2.0 will just work at the slower speed of 1.x if being used with that type of port etc
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Chuck

« Reply #246 on: October 02, 2005, 02:25:43 PM »
so there isn't an incompatability issue so much, as just slower speed.

thanks!
+ to ya

Another +T to ya...

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2005, 12:58:04 PM »
so I am really considering getting one. thinking of using 2 gb cf cards until 4 gb comes down and going 24/48. I can't decide if I want an all in one box or just a recorder. Wish this one had a HD, but just a wish, really disappointed in the sound of the 722. opinions?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #248 on: October 06, 2005, 01:08:30 PM »
the fact that it doesnt have a HD is not a deal breaker for me really. looking at the r4 in memphis, i thought the meters sucked (no increment b/w -6db and 0db). eric, owner of said r4, (which is stock btw) preferred using his v2 w/ his mg200's rather than the pre on the r4. so basically he has no meters and its not an all-in-one solution for him. other than that he loves it. its big as fuck too, not sure how big compared to the 671. an oade modded r4 could be the shit. i am looking forward to hearing them both. i cant see how either could not sound good as per dougs rep. it will basically come down to the metering and user interface for me as i a can deal w/ cf or hd.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2005, 01:23:35 PM »
the fact that it doesnt have a HD is not a deal breaker for me really. looking at the r4 in memphis, i thought the meters sucked (no increment b/w -6db and 0db). eric, owner of said r4, (which is stock btw) preferred using his v2 w/ his mg200's rather than the pre on the r4. so basically he has no meters and its not an all-in-one solution for him. other than that he loves it. its big as fuck too, not sure how big compared to the 671. an oade modded r4 could be the shit. i am looking forward to hearing them both. i cant see how either could not sound good as per dougs rep. it will basically come down to the metering and user interface for me as i a can deal w/ cf or hd.

not a deal breaker, just a wish, is anyone running this thing stock?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #250 on: October 06, 2005, 01:32:53 PM »
i think the only guy running it stock is MattinSTL on here. but he only uses it for voice or something. line in from the v3 or possibly the brick would be fine for the time being i reckon. until the mods are ready at least.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2005, 03:05:18 PM »

Is Doug offering mods for the R4?  Realisticallly, it's not much bigger than the PMD671.  The R4 is bigger than the 722/744, but what isn't?

I think an Oade mod R4 could be a sweet deal due to the 4 inputs.  It would be great to have one box for running matrix or comparing different mics.  That's the big plus for me since I'd like to be able to run a matrix when possible.

The 671 only handles 24/48 digital 24/96, so if you're going to use it solely as a 24 bit capture device you'd be better off waiting for M-Audio to work out the kink on the Micro Tracker, no?  Save some cash?  I can see if you're going to use it's pre/adc though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 03:53:15 PM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #252 on: October 06, 2005, 03:09:50 PM »

Is Doug offering mods for the R4?  Realisticallly, it's not much bigger than the PMD671.  The R4 is bigger than the 722/744, but what isn't?

I think an Oade mod R4 could be a sweet deal due to the 4 inputs.  It would be great to have one box for running matrix or comparing different mics.  That's the big plus for me since I'd like to be able to run a matrix when possible.

Isn't the 671 only good for 24/96 in analog?  I think it only handles 24/48 digital.

he says he will be offering mods to the r4 in the future but that due to the limited availability of these units, he has not worked out what mods he would make. So you can't feed the 671 a signal from a v3 and get 24/96???
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2005, 03:11:09 PM »

Is Doug offering mods for the R4?

i believe

Realisticallly, it's not much bigger than the PMD671.  The R4 is bigger than the 722/744, but what isn't?

good to know

agreed but didnt i read somewhere that some of the 744 runs at panic were unsuccessful mixing in post 2 diff sources? can the r4 create 2 stereo tracks w/ 4 inputs?  it seems cool that it could be done, but a pita.

Isn't the 671 only good for 24/96 in analog?  I think it only handles 24/48 digital.

if thats true, i dont care. 24/48 is plenty for me.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2005, 03:11:42 PM »
he says he will be offering mods to the r4 in the future but that due to the limited availability of these units, he has not worked out what mods he would make. So you can't feed the 671 a signal from a v3 and get 24/96???

Sure, you could run V3 xlr analog out to the 671, no?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com