Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 671 announced (on Oade)  (Read 89472 times)

Offline RDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Marantz PMD 671 announced (on Oade)
« Reply #300 on: October 17, 2005, 08:30:44 PM »
I've been using the Kingston 4 gb 45x elite pro with my 671 and and gotten great recordings so far (only done 2 shows though).  Picked them both up on Ebay for less than 180 each.  As for batteries...... I'm using Powerex 2500 mh NiMH batteries with a Lacrosse BC900 charger.  I've been getting 5+ hours on a set of batteries, but do carry along an extra "loaded" battery holder so I can replace them quickly if needed.  They seem to be the same size as the Duracell alkalines I have around the house.

Still haven't used anything but the digital input so far at shows...... hard to beat that V3 as a mic pre / a>d.....  I do expect to use the line in in the near future though and will report back my findings.

RD
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #301 on: October 17, 2005, 09:20:05 PM »
I've been using the Kingston 4 gb 45x elite pro with my 671 and and gotten great recordings so far (only done 2 shows though).  Picked them both up on Ebay for less than 180 each.  As for batteries...... I'm using Powerex 2500 mh NiMH batteries with a Lacrosse BC900 charger.  I've been getting 5+ hours on a set of batteries, but do carry along an extra "loaded" battery holder so I can replace them quickly if needed.  They seem to be the same size as the Duracell alkalines I have around the house.

Still haven't used anything but the digital input so far at shows...... hard to beat that V3 as a mic pre / a>d.....  I do expect to use the line in in the near future though and will report back my findings.

RD

So you haven't had an issue with the PowerEx 2500 mAh in the 671 battery holder? I'm probably going to get 16 of them to start with the La Crosse charger. Where did you get the spare batt holder? Now, I'm on the list for just a stock 671 from Doug until he gets the parts for the ACM mod. I may have to pick-up a UA-5 until the ACM parts come in. Good to hear that the Kingston card is working.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #302 on: October 17, 2005, 10:04:47 PM »
the meters are not as nice as my ole HHB PDR1k. but that does not really bother me, what really bugs me is that the preamp issue clouds the usefulness of the meters. you can overload the input, ruin your recording,  and still have your recording showing that it never peaked higher than -6dB. i would also LOVE to have some sort of peak light for each channel. still i have the FP33 up front, so i have to use that now.
^^^

Could you elaborate on this? The meters on the 671 are not accurate?

i do not think the meters are fast enuff to keep up with the input; ie the ballistics are slow. i doi not know where they derived the source for the meters. that would matter.
yes the deck is STOCK.
I'm using Powerex 2500 mh NiMH batteries with a <snip> They seem to be the same size as the Duracell alkalines I have around the house.

good to know. i have considered taking off the shrink label to thin them down. just makes keeping matched sets tougher.

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #303 on: October 18, 2005, 08:16:31 AM »
no, they are accurate.   its just that the stock preamp brickwalls.

Latest word, btw...
is that the parts doug is waiting on have been bumped back to Dec.
:(
so, the options are BC mod, which will probably sound stock, but will not brickwall.  Like the Omod for the FR2.
this is an assumption..btw.

or, just buy a stock one (he gives an excellent price to tapers, lower than i've seen anywhere) and run a preamp in front of it for a while.
thats my plan.  time to put that 248 back into deployment.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 08:20:37 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #304 on: October 18, 2005, 08:28:02 AM »
just got an email saying the same about the parts...

I think I am going to get a stock one  and run cooker's  d-mod UA5 spidif into it and see how that sounds at 24bit......
?>FR2LE

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #305 on: October 18, 2005, 08:37:17 AM »
d mod?
does it sound like this?
www.nickspicks.com/mp3/D.WAV

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #306 on: October 18, 2005, 08:40:41 AM »
harh harh harh...

usually it sounds a little bit better.. actually love the digi-mod with my MGs

I usually sound like that when I pull a bad tape   
?>FR2LE

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #307 on: October 18, 2005, 09:06:53 AM »
:)

Offline Chuck

« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2005, 09:19:04 AM »
no, they are accurate.   its just that the stock preamp brickwalls.

Latest word, btw...
is that the parts doug is waiting on have been bumped back to Dec.
:(
so, the options are BC mod, which will probably sound stock, but will not brickwall.  Like the Omod for the FR2.
this is an assumption..btw.

or, just buy a stock one (he gives an excellent price to tapers, lower than i've seen anywhere) and run a preamp in front of it for a while.
thats my plan.  time to put that 248 back into deployment.

That's my plan as well.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #309 on: October 18, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »
whats the stock one go for?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #310 on: October 18, 2005, 12:07:21 PM »
$850 shipped.
$100 more than the ACM 660, which made it an easier decision between the two.

the 660 sounds soooo good.  but i suppose 248>671 @ 24bit will sound nice too.
:)

Offline Chuck

« Reply #311 on: October 18, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »
I feel my enthusiasm for the PMD 671 waining a little bit as the news of the parts delay sinks in. I'm trying to keep my interest alive.
I downloaded the manual and have a few questions.

Does the PRE REC option work well? Is it useful? I see this as possibly a great feature of this recorder. I would have loved to have this for a few times when the band started playing 1 second before I got my DAT rolling.
After you set the unit up, it looks like you can put a cover over the Recording Set-Up Controls on the top of it. Is that accurate?
Also, once you have the Presets set, can you just basically turn it on and be ready to roll? Is there a lot of menu driven stuff to do to start recording?

I'm also still worried about the Media Cards. If re-formated every time you use them, will they work 100% of the time at say 24 bit, 48 kHz PCM WAV for 1-3 hours? I bought the Kingston PRO Elite 4 GB card, I just hope it will work well.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #312 on: October 18, 2005, 09:42:25 PM »
you think too much chuck.

- pre record works very well.
- not sure about the cover
- the presets are programable (on the 660,so i assume the same here) to whatever you want, so yea.  it'll boot up at the last used preset as well as being able to swap throught them easily.
- your kingston card will work fine. i hope so.  i just bought one too.  they should be robust as hell, and 2448 for just around 4 hours.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #313 on: October 18, 2005, 09:44:57 PM »
btw..
the 660 ACM uses a different cap that he has.  so those are not on the "off list".  and if your happy w/16 bit, then you'd be real happy with one of these.

Carl and I were listening on his system last weekend to that ratdog show I did w/one, and man...it was just as enjoyable as the 24bit stuff we were listening to.  the fidelity was aparrent. 
so fuck it.  save several hundred (for the eventual acm costs) and rock out w/that sweet little 660.
:-)
then again....its only $100 between the two.  and if you can borrow a v2 or something???

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #314 on: October 18, 2005, 09:58:20 PM »
btw..
the 660 ACM uses a different cap that he has.  so those are not on the "off list".  and if your happy w/16 bit, then you'd be real happy with one of these.

Carl and I were listening on his system last weekend to that ratdog show I did w/one, and man...it was just as enjoyable as the 24bit stuff we were listening to.  the fidelity was aparrent. 
so fuck it.  save several hundred (for the eventual acm costs) and rock out w/that sweet little 660.
:-)
then again....its only $100 between the two.  and if you can borrow a v2 or something???

I had that show on again tonight also.... it's just an awesome recording... really shows off the mod's sound stage nicely (+t Nick). have to believe the acm 671 is going to an incredible recorder.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 06:25:41 PM by d5 »
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com