Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

using a power splitter cable/squid with talentcell batteries

<< < (2/3) > >>

breakonthru:
I’ve split talentcell via a Y in a pinch… sucked that battery down fast and you only get a fraction of the capacity with high current dropping the voltage. But yeah I’d say it can deliver at least 2A without issue

unclehoolio:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on December 13, 2023, 09:54:00 PM ---The amperage of the charging wall wart is not really relevant to what you can power with the battery. In the case of charging, higher amperage from the wall wart (within safe charging limits) will simply charge the battery faster than a lower amperage wall wart.
--- End quote ---

Thanks. However: the above part is confusing.  The Zoom's wall wart is just for powering the Zoom, it's not a "charging wall wart".  Or am I missing something?

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on December 13, 2023, 09:54:00 PM ---...That output specification is 6A, but that's max by the specs.. and a lot...  Half that, 3A is probably a good target
--- End quote ---

This piece is helpful, knowing that the 'specs' aren't as reliable as one might assume.

In any event, I actually have a Talentcell for the Zoom (and another one for 2 x m148 preamps).  But if I could get by without needing the one for the Zoom (i.e. without pushing the one larger battery to the max draw--let's call it 3A--while powering all 3 devices to record a show with a runtime of 2.5 - 3 hrs,), well then that would be nice to know.

unclehoolio:

--- Quote from: breakonthru on December 14, 2023, 05:40:57 PM ---I’ve split talentcell via a Y in a pinch… sucked that battery down fast and you only get a fraction of the capacity with high current dropping the voltage. But yeah I’d say it can deliver at least 2A without issue

--- End quote ---

duly noted.  I'll have a chance here in a couple of months, at latest, to see how long the one talentcell that I linked at the top of this thread powers 2 x m148 preamps, and will do my best to report back.

goodcooker:

I'm not a battery expert by any means but powering multiple devices from one power source (a Tascam DR701d and a Sound Devices 442 preamp) from a single Anker battery taught me one lesson. When it seems to be chugging along just fine the discharge curve dips quite a bit as it enters the lower third of it's capacity. Be aware when using more than one device on a single battery until you learn the behavior of that battery under multiple draws. That last 20% disappeared rather quickly.

Gutbucket:
^ My experience too.  I always try to have excess battery capacity over what I actually need for that reason.  More reliable and increases the lifetime of the battery significantly.

Best way is to set everything up and do a runtime test to see if running off one battery works for long enough.. and is reasonable < that is to say, only using something like half the battery's capacity. 

If not, use two batteries or one larger capacity one.  If you use two batteries, simplest will be to use a separate one for either piece of gear.  If one piece of gear draws more current than the other, you might want to try the "Y" both in parallel to a common power line, which you then "Y" back out to both pieces of gear.  That should balance the load pulled from the batteries.

--- Quote from: unclehoolio on December 15, 2023, 01:21:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Gutbucket on December 13, 2023, 09:54:00 PM ---The amperage of the charging wall wart is not really relevant to what you can power with the battery. In the case of charging, higher amperage from the wall wart (within safe charging limits) will simply charge the battery faster than a lower amperage wall wart.
--- End quote ---

Thanks. However: the above part is confusing.  The Zoom's wall wart is just for powering the Zoom, it's not a "charging wall wart".  Or am I missing something?
--- End quote ---

Not you, me.  I thought you were referring to the Talentcell charging wallwart, not the one that powers the Zoom.

--- Quote from: unclehoolio on December 13, 2023, 07:30:56 PM ---The Zoom's wall wart is rated for 2A output, so unless I'm missing something, that leaves 4A for other devices.
--- End quote ---

^ In light of that, this is technically true, but best draw less than the max capability of the battery as discussed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version