Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track Part 2  (Read 101655 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track Part 2
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »
And it's been so long since I used a P1 but will it pass signal without being in record mode?  Or does it have to be in Rec/Pause?  And if it does have to be in Rec/pause how long will it hold that, or do you actually have to run a tape?  I know some decks will only hold rec/pause for a set amount of time without tape rolling.  If you have to run tape than you have to worry about the tape running out too.  PLus the P1 is not easily hooked up to the Li-Ion batteries that a lot of folks are using.  IE: I can run my 680, UA-5, MP-2 all off the same battery since the 680 will operate on 9V.  The P1 is 12V right?  and you gotta lug the SLA around.  I know the P1 was a good deck in the day, but I'd sell it and get something else. I have to admit I am looking at other options, or even selling my V2 and getting another 680.  It's like coke the more tracks I have the more I want.   Of course if the Little box/big box pre comes out with spdif I'd jump on that.  Next I'll be needing more mics too >:D

As for settings, if you get the DIN lock then you will get ch 7&8 via spdif in.  I have never changed the I/O setting and leave it at digital all the time.  This has always given me 8 inputs with spdif in.  If I don't want to use any of the tracks I disarm them with the buttons on the front.  Using it this way does give you DIN unlock msg if you don't have active spdif input and you need to clear the msg (lock or unlock) by pushing the enter button in the center of the scroll wheel

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
Yeah, you have to have it in record/pause (and it'll stay that way indefinitely as far as I know), unless you were using it as a tape backup(!) But not even I'm that backward! If I was just using one for the mic pre/DA out I'd probably figure out how to disable the transport and just use the electronics. They draw around 400mA at idle and around 600mA in rec/pause (800 in record and peaks of over 1A in FF/Rev!), so yes, they're hungry buggers and need a sizeable battery (the OEM battery was a joke). This one of mine runs off an internal 4600mAh NiMH, so it lasts awhile.
No use trying to get me to sell mine - keep yer mitts off! (Seriously, I'd rather keep them for doorstops than sell them for the measly amount they'd fetch).

Dave

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
Sorta off-topic but not really. I'm angling to pick up one of the 680s soon, and would love to use the 7/8 channels. I have an old sbm1 which I can use with a spdif out. Is there anything out there now for a/d converters thats 24bit, outputs with spdif, and is as small as possible. Size is the key for me right now, and looking at stealthy options! (Esp considering the 680 is big enough already!)
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

kirk97132

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 12:28:16 PM »
Aren't the super bit mappers 16 bit?  So if I read this right you want to take a 24 bit signal and pass it through a sbm to the 680?  So you'd be taking a 24 bit signal down to 16 bit and then into the 680, that doesn't seem to make sense.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
No I basically want something similar to the sbm1 and replace it. Something that will take a 1/4", 1/8", or RCA input (anything small really) and convert it so I can plug it into the spdif on the 680.

Sorry if I was a bit unclear in the last post.
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

kirk97132

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 01:47:40 PM »
I've been using a Busman UA-5 which has XLR & RCA inputs(the 1/4" are disabled by the mod) and I think having something that allows mics to be input is a huge advantage.  I have my UA-5 up for sale and it is on hold pending payment, but if it falls through we could talk ;D  I am going to switch from the UA-5 to an Apogee but I am still looking at other options too.  If you look back through this thread there are some links to other options for Preamps W/digi out, of course there is always a V3 to be considered.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »
That could work.

What's weird is most of these external a/d are designed for mic pre-amp, which I don't need at all. I basically want something that will add an extra pair of line inputs to the 680, so something small that will take an RCA input and output at spdif would be absolutely perfect.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2010, 02:16:39 PM »
I've been using a Busman UA-5 which has XLR & RCA inputs(the 1/4" are disabled by the mod) and I think having something that allows mics to be input is a huge advantage.  I have my UA-5 up for sale and it is on hold pending payment, but if it falls through we could talk ;D  I am going to switch from the UA-5 to an Apogee but I am still looking at other options too.  If you look back through this thread there are some links to other options for Preamps W/digi out, of course there is always a V3 to be considered.

I'm using a Busman UA-5 for inputs 7&8 and I'm pleased with it.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »
^^^ agreed the UA-5 has been just fine, I'm, only looking to change things up but otherwise the UA-5 has been rock solid

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »
I pulled out the camera tonight and snapped a few shots.

For those that may not have seen a DR-680, these shots show some size comparison vs Tascam DA-P1 (dat deck) and Sound Devices 722. The DR-680 is in the middle.

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2010, 12:30:20 AM »
Received the protective case made by Tascam the other day - CSDR-680:
http://www.tascam.com/products/cs-dr680.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=CS-DR680&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
I'm really digging this thing. Nice snug fit, access to all controls and plugs, protection from the elements. I think it will really help eliminate dings while in my bag.

Here are some photos:

Sealed up inside the case:

Front of case open to show protective cover. There are holes cut for the value nob, headphones plug and headphones volume knob.

Top open to reveal controls:

Bottom open to reveal battery compartment:

Right side open:

Right side open with GAKables right angle stubby power cord inserted:

Right side closed with GAKables right angle stubby power cord inserted:

Left side open:

Left side open with GAKables (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0) right angle stubby breakout cables inserted:

Left side closed with GAKables right angle stubby breakout cables inserted:

Front with breakout cables:

With one show under my belt with this thing I would recommend it.

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 12:56:16 AM »
Here is a link to some info and photos of the DR-680 breakout cables I had GAKcables build for me. I'm not sure how to link directly to it so you will have to scroll down the page a couple of posts:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.45

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2010, 04:33:56 AM »
That case looks pretty sweet, but $99 seems kinda steep. These guys have it for $67, but I never heard of em:
http://www.securitymania.com/index.php/tascam-csdr680-carrying-case-for-dr-680.html
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2010, 01:37:37 AM »
I pulled out the camera tonight and snapped a few shots.

For those that may not have seen a DR-680, these shots show some size comparison vs Tascam DA-P1 (dat deck) and Sound Devices 722. The DR-680 is in the middle.

awesome thanx for the comp pics
that's really helpful
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline hummat

• Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2010, 11:34:18 AM »
Any idea what would happen if you used a Deneke AD-20 to feed channels 7 & 8?  It's 20 bit, so I wonder if the Dr-680 would add 4 blank bits to the signal, or if everything syncs to the AD-20 and everything ends up 20 bit?

-jay

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com