Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track Part 2  (Read 101664 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track Part 2
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »
Went to go see Grace Potter last night and ran 6 channels with phantom power on all channels and everything went smooth.  I ran AKG 481's, Beyerdynamic MC930's and Milab VM-44 links all straight into the DR-680.  They all came out good, different but good.  I never thought i'd see the day that I would run 3 sets of mics into 1 recorder at a show.  Very impressed !!

^
Nice!   ;D
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline TomBoisseau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »
Can someone explain to me why this doesn't work?

I purchased this cheap AD converter, a StarTeck.com / ConvergeAV model AA2SPDIF (see link below).  The manual says it has a 48K sample rate, but the DR680 only recognises it when I set the the Tascam's menu for 44.1K.  Why would that be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom

http://us.startech.com/product/AA2SPDIF-Stereo-RCA-Left-Right-Analog-to-Digital-SPDIF-Toslink-Audio-Converter

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2010, 04:06:48 AM »
Can someone explain to me why this doesn't work?

I purchased this cheap AD converter, a StarTeck.com / ConvergeAV model AA2SPDIF (see link below).  The manual says it has a 48K sample rate, but the DR680 only recognises it when I set the the Tascam's menu for 44.1K.  Why would that be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom

http://us.startech.com/product/AA2SPDIF-Stereo-RCA-Left-Right-Analog-to-Digital-SPDIF-Toslink-Audio-Converter

not much info on their site  links or pdfs
my guess would be that it really only samples at 16 bit 44.1k and you can not get 24 bits out of converter devise such as this
the manual does state:
Supports output sampling rate at 48 KHz.
however I am not sure this could be true, as there is no way you set 44.1 or 48k...
I'd return it...
good luck
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »
I think you are correect.  That MUST be a misprint.  The ConvergeAV AA2SPDIF seems to only outputs 44.1.  I really need a device that outputs 48k.

So, are there any "cheap" AD converters out there that are small, battery operated, and output 48k?  I don't care if it has mic pres or not.  I will likely be sending timecode to channel 8 anyway so I'm not too concerned about the audio quality.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2010, 10:29:03 AM »
I think you are correect.  That MUST be a misprint.  The ConvergeAV AA2SPDIF seems to only outputs 44.1.  I really need a device that outputs 48k.

So, are there any "cheap" AD converters out there that are small, battery operated, and output 48k?  I don't care if it has mic pres or not.  I will likely be sending timecode to channel 8 anyway so I'm not too concerned about the audio quality.

Thanks,
Tom

A Graham Patten ADC-24 would work.
http://www.gpsys.com/products/adc24.htm
They go for cheap sometimes in the Yard Sale.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2010, 12:10:16 PM »

Thanks,
Tom

I don't know how you would send both a timecode and an audio signal via the single rca spdif input.  How would you split your signal digitally?  And as far as I know the 680 will only accept AES or Spdif signal but not a wordclock signal and aren't they both a two channel signal?   From the way the manual reads once you use the input for clocking purposes you lose the ability to use it for recording.  And I had looked around but from what I saw the options for "cheap" digi converters left a LOT to be desired.  They are out there but they looked like crap.  Anything decent puts you in the 500 range and at that point you can get mic pres too.  Unless you pick up something older.  I grabbed an apogee AD-1000 which is 48Hz but only 20 bit.  A good solid 20 bit though.  I might be selling it once I get a new USBPre-2 if your interested.

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »

Thanks,
Tom

Well.... maybe not!  I just hooked the AA2SPDIF to my Whirlwind AESQbox and it registers as 48k.  If I send a 48K signal from my AESQbox to the DR-680 it locks just fine.  Wonder why the AA2SPDIF does not??

Tom

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »
I don't know how you would send both a timecode and an audio signal via the single rca spdif input.  How would you split your signal digitally?  And as far as I know the 680 will only accept AES or Spdif signal but not a wordclock signal and aren't they both a two channel signal?   From the way the manual reads once you use the input for clocking purposes you lose the ability to use it for recording.  And I had looked around but from what I saw the options for "cheap" digi converters left a LOT to be desired.  They are out there but they looked like crap.  Anything decent puts you in the 500 range and at that point you can get mic pres too.  Unless you pick up something older.  I grabbed an apogee AD-1000 which is 48Hz but only 20 bit.  A good solid 20 bit though.  I might be selling it once I get a new USBPre-2 if your interested.

I might only use 7 & 8 for timecode.  You are correct.  It may be difficult otherwise to separate the audio from timecode "bleed".

Tom

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »
I went thru the entire menu and even tried to do analog in without running digital
plus I tried 2 SPDIF cables that worked fine with my V3 > P2 after wards
I would still get that error message even running NO digital in on the menu

sometimes it will read the cards, but give me the DIN unlock message
other times it would give me the Sys Rom Error message
when powering down and back up with the card still in the unit

cards... fine most likely, since my computer reads them and the unit was reading them
SPDIF cables... fine
digital out on V3... fine

basically the unit just started acting up with nothing changed on the menu and...
I went thru the settings when setting up at the show and things were set properly 2 nights in a row
I ASSUMED that things were alright yesterday morning by switching cards and the unit fired up
but I did not actually run any tests and got hosed last night when trying to fire up the unit at the show
and all that I'm getting now are the 2 error messages

I'm going to give TEAC a call tomorrow and send it in

I was busy last week and forgot to update this...
I received a call from Dennis @ Full Compass indicating the main board was FRIED
and it will cost me $140 to repair since LABOR is only 90 days from purchase, plus they are waiting for the part

kirk97132

« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
Damn that sucks.  How old is it? I'd be asking/bugging/begging Tascam to fix it under warranty.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »
I went thru the entire menu and even tried to do analog in without running digital

cards... fine most likely, since my computer reads them and the unit was reading them
SPDIF cables... fine

basically the unit just started acting up with nothing changed on the menu and...
I went thru the settings when setting up at the show and things were set properly 2 nights in a row
I ASSUMED that things were alright yesterday morning by switching cards and the unit fired up
but I did not actually run any tests and got hosed last night when trying to fire up the unit at the show

I received a call from Dennis @ Full Compass indicating the main board was FRIED
and it will cost me $140 to repair since LABOR is only 90 days from purchase, plus they are waiting for the part

Crap. That sucks.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2010, 03:48:26 AM »

SPDIF cables... fine

Crap. That sucks.
wow I sure would see if teac would cover it all
I mean theses things  are brand new...
sorry to hear that
I hope it's not a trend
Full Compass has always been upstanding and does great service
good luck!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to plug my 1/8"-terminated CA11 mics (using a single female 1/8" to dual male TRS 1/4" cable) into  inputs 5 & 6 on the DR-680 (without having phantom power engaged - for obvious reasons) in order to make use of the recorder's gain?   I know that I could go line-in (would mic in-work too?) and put my 9100 pre between the mics and recorder and use the 9100's gain, but I'd like to simplify my set-up even more and just use the dr-680 for gain.  I figured it would be better to ask than turn my mics into sparklers.

Thanks.
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2010, 02:26:44 AM »
i have the Oade CM R-44 but as always, tempted to slut it up.

how's the DR-680 compare to the R-44?  i normally run the ACM V3 in front but often have another pair/board going in 2 other channels.  would be nice to have everything on the same clock.

what's the pros / cons?  any issues running 8 channels on a 16gb class 6 card?  run on a standard dvd battery? 

i've tried to keep up to date on this thread but it's a lot of reading!   ;D
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

kirk97132

« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to plug my 1/8"-terminated CA11 mics (using a single female 1/8" to dual male TRS 1/4" cable) into  inputs 5 & 6 on the DR-680 (without having phantom power engaged - for obvious reasons) in order to make use of the recorder's gain?   I know that I could go line-in (would mic in-work too?) and put my 9100 pre between the mics and recorder and use the 9100's gain, but I'd like to simplify my set-up even more and just use the dr-680 for gain.  I figured it would be better to ask than turn my mics into sparklers.

Thanks.

It's better to think of the 680 mic/line as a high/low sensitivity setting.  And the Phantom power is switched on or off on pairs of channels.  Now would the the Church mics work?  I'd ask Church Audio.  But I run separate preamps in front of mics all the time with my 680.    Is the 9100 pre better than the stock Tascam pre's?  I dunno, the stock 680 pre's are pretty darn good. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com