Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track Part 2  (Read 101658 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track Part 2
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »
ugg is you know who involved?    ::)  Still not sure on my NYE plans.  Langhorne Slim is playing in town as well.

Yeah, wonder what the stance will be on that since they will most likely record it for sale.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2010, 04:33:59 PM »
ugg is you know who involved?    ::)  Still not sure on my NYE plans.  Langhorne Slim is playing in town as well.

Yeah, wonder what the stance will be on that since they will most likely record it for sale.
As of now, I'm not quite sure what is going to happen.  Jerry and I breifly talk last week and are goint to have a sit down after he moves back to PDX

kirk97132

« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »
Tom,
  I'd have to dig and see who I talked to at Tascam, but don't bother e-mailing them.  I tried that once and the reply was a joke.  Call tech support, and I'll see if I can't find a name.  Fwiw there is a UA-5in the YS @ $70.  I never had a problem when I ran my ua-5, always got a lock.  I guess there could be a  problem with the 680.  Have you tried outputting a 48hz signal from your Yamaha to the deck? 

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2010, 10:44:33 PM »
I just wanted to report that while on top of a mountain in a forest of redwoods, doing location audio for a PBS documentary, I had some down time and with barely one bar of signal I was able to email Chris Johnson of Busman Audio, and get a more detailed description of the mod he now does to DR-680. He sold me on the mod, and said he had one in stock that he just modded, so I grabbed it as quickly as I could type the message and hold the phone in the air to get the one bar needed to send the email. I'll share with you what he wrote me about what he does to the DR-680.

First Message with a general description:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chad,
I am offering mods for the DR-680, I just haven’t listed it yet. I have done about 5 units so far including the one I have been using since May.
I really like this unit a lot more than the R-44 partly because of the track count but more for the converters and sound quality.

The price for all 6 channels is $300 if you want 4 channels its $225 and 2 channels is $150.
I am currently only offering the transparency style mod which is clean, quiet, and has a large soundstage.
The mod does quiet the preamps some but they are already decent for most uses as stock.  With the mods the unit will work great for dialogue and nature recordings as well as live music. The unit has a mic setting with high and low gain as well as the line in when using outboard gear.

I do not compare my gear to Oade so I don’t know what differences there are besides the fact that I have always like my own mods better along with my offering of a 2 year warranty with my mods and I know we use different parts.

My take on Oades different mods is he is just trying to appeal to every person out there, I don’t know how big of a difference there is between each mod.
I have owned Oade modded gear in the past and have always liked it alright but once I found my own parts I have always enjoyed the sound of my gear more.

I have not thought about painting one Busman yellow but that is something I might do to my own to see how it will turn out then offer it if I like it.

The R44 is a nice unit but limited for mods IMO.  There is not much space for good parts in there but it sounds warm with most mods compared to past edirol pres. The mods have a very nice natural soundstage and they help to bring the noise floor down  some.  I have never liked the R44 as much as the modded original R4.  The original had more room for great parts and ended up sounding better.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I asked some followup questions and here's what he wrote back:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chad,

I was just about to call but if you are out of town I will just answer here for you.

Some bigger components that fit are mainly the capacitors I like to use along with bypass caps.
I have one modded unit here right now that I just finished that is ready to go.  It has the 6 channel mod and I can sell it for $1100.
I do give a warranty for my modded gear of 2 years parts and labor and if anything comes up that is not something to do with the mod it can be fixed as well.

As for cards. I use the transcend 16GB class6 cards that Tascam recommends.  For 32GB cards I would only go with what Tascam says works otherwise it’s a crapshoot.

Soundstage is the ability for the recorder to place the sound in correctly in space so you hear it as 3 dimensional just like being in the room you record in. When you have a closed soundstage everything tends to get muddy and less detailed as well as the feeling of everything coming from one place. With a natural large soundstage you get the sound just as it was in the location that it was recorded. It makes it more  “real” and true to life.  There are multiple factors in a recorder that determine soundstage quality so I will just leave it there. I change out all of the input op amps and capacitors along with some in the power supply section I also run bypass caps in the input path.

The preamps are noisy when driven in the high gain mode but with the mod the high gain mode is more usable with less “hiss” in the recording.
I felt that the difference was significant enough for my ears to be satisfied with the results and not try to go deeper into the mod for diminishing returns. I was recording at an outdoor bluegrass show and was amazed at how much gain I could get without any hiss.  I can hear planes in the distance during song breaks as well as birds and I can pick out a location as to where they are in the sound field.  Once I transferred the files into my computer I raised the gain a good deal and was not able to detect noise in the quiet sections.  I am very happy with the results.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am always happy to answer.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There you go, from the horses mouth. At 1,100.00 you are very close to a modded R-44 in price, and I am fairly confident that we'll have a better sounding unit than an R-44, whether modded by Busman or Oade. Chris is a very nice guy, and I'm glad he took the time to explain what he does to the unit. I was surprised that he sold them too, I expected to have to buy one from B&H then send it in to Busman. Needless to say, I am very excited to receive my new Tascam DR-680 with a sweet Busman Audio mod!

Cheers.

Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
Tom,
  I'd have to dig and see who I talked to at Tascam, but don't bother e-mailing them.  I tried that once and the reply was a joke.  Call tech support, and I'll see if I can't find a name.  Fwiw there is a UA-5in the YS @ $70.  I never had a problem when I ran my ua-5, always got a lock.  I guess there could be a  problem with the 680.  Have you tried outputting a 48hz signal from your Yamaha to the deck?

kirkd,

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  I just bought a UA-5.  Seems like it should be handy for many applications, however I still would love to find a simple, tiny, AD interface that would let me connect a line level timecode signal to the DR680.  The two devices I tried were no more than 2"x"2"x1" and had a very low current draw.  Such a device woul be ideal for using the DR680 in an "over shoulder" bag for video production.  Does any one know of any other devices like this?

Here are the two devices I've tried so far:

http://us.startech.com/product/AA2SPDIF-Stereo-RCA-Left-Right-Analog-to-Digital-SPDIF-Toslink-Audio-Converter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330472209013&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

kirk97132

« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2010, 11:17:22 AM »
Tom,
   Enjoy the UA-5.  The one I ran was modded by Chris Busman.  That Mod he did allowed for standalone use and upgraded the signal.  Remember a completely stock UA-5 will not work as a standalone.  The Digi mod you will see mentioned allows the unit to be standalone and if I remember correctly there are folks here who will do it for postage or instruct you how to do it too. 

As for AD converters.  I really have no idea.  when I looked at units for inputs to channel 7&8 spdif, I was looking at preamp/digital converter setups.  Right now I am waiting on the new Sound Devices USBPre-2 to come out.  That is the smallest unit I have found but again it is a preamp also.  I currently am using an Apogee AD-1000 for the spdif input and it also accepts a Wordclock/spdif/toslink input and can sync to a variety of video sources at a multitude of rates & formats.  Actually much more than I will ever need.  I will most likely be selling it once the new SD units arrive....if you were interested, but it is about ten times as large as the little cube you tried to use. 

Do you ever determine where the breakdown in sampling rate happens?  Have you tried the UA-5 with the 680?  I also remember something about the UA-5 always outputting a 24 bit signal no matter what the setting?  there is a really great UA-5 section:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=52.0

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2010, 04:00:16 PM »
T  Right now I am waiting on the new Sound Devices USBPre-2 to come out.  That is the smallest unit I have found but again it is a preamp also. 

Hey kirkd.

Do you need to have a laptop to power this USBPre-2? I don't see any other power options outside of plug & play through the USB. It looks like a nice little unit.
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

kirk97132

« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
Actually that is the BIG difference between the USBPre and The USBPre-2.  It will accept power via the usb jack but it does not require it to be connected to a computer.  There are a few options but supplying 5v on the USB jack and a flip of a switch allows it to operate in standalone mode.

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2010, 11:39:26 PM »
Tom,
   Enjoy the UA-5.  The one I ran was modded by Chris Busman.  That Mod he did allowed for standalone use and upgraded the signal.  Remember a completely stock UA-5 will not work as a standalone.  The Digi mod you will see mentioned allows the unit to be standalone and if I remember correctly there are folks here who will do it for postage or instruct you how to do it too. 

As for AD converters.  I really have no idea.  when I looked at units for inputs to channel 7&8 spdif, I was looking at preamp/digital converter setups.  Right now I am waiting on the new Sound Devices USBPre-2 to come out.  That is the smallest unit I have found but again it is a preamp also.  I currently am using an Apogee AD-1000 for the spdif input and it also accepts a Wordclock/spdif/toslink input and can sync to a variety of video sources at a multitude of rates & formats.  Actually much more than I will ever need.  I will most likely be selling it once the new SD units arrive....if you were interested, but it is about ten times as large as the little cube you tried to use. 

Do you ever determine where the breakdown in sampling rate happens?  Have you tried the UA-5 with the 680?  I also remember something about the UA-5 always outputting a 24 bit signal no matter what the setting?  there is a really great UA-5 section:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=52.0

Kirkd,

Thanks again for all the good advice.  Fortunately I did my research before buying the UA-5.  The unit I purchased is NOT modified… yet, but it looks like new.  I found details on how to do the “stand alone” mod.  It looks pretty simple, and I’m pretty good with a soldering iron, so it should not be a problem.  I’m seriously considering installing a switch so it can be used either as a stand alone device or a computer interface.  Apparently others have done this with success.  I just need to figure out how I can protect the switch from being accidently bumped.

Tom 

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
I'm trying to decide if should get myself a littlebox to run into the DR680 or if I'm better off getting busman to mod it.  I really like the all-in-one aspect of the DR-680 and would prefer to keep it that way, but on the other hand, IF the littlebox is going to give me better results in terms of noisefloor and quieter gain for lower sound levels (not sure if it actually would) then I'd be more inclined to go that route.
Anyone got thoughts on this?  It's likely too early in the dr680 and littlebox lifespans to hope for a comp, but if anybody has anything illuminating to add to my deliberation, I'd certainly welcome it.

Thanks.
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »
Do you have a link to one of these "littleBox" things? If it's a mixer, I'd say go for both. Try the mixer first, and if you don't like the results, get the mod. I just bought my 680 direct from Busman Audio, pre-modded for 1,100.00, but haven't tested it out yet because I'm waiting for my SDHC cards to arrive. But if a mixer is sending out a line level signal, then you can operate the recorder at line level and get great s/n ratio. If you're just recording concerts than noise isn't much of an issue. If you wand to record quiet stuff, then a mod is really helpful.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=128321.0

littlebox is a naiant product that's a pre-amp. a member on the board makes and sells them primarily to people interested in recording live music, but the pre-amps do offer a substantial amount of gain for quiet things. another thing that many members like are the number of customizations like powering, mini xlr, various toggle switches.

website of all products offered: http://www.naiant.com/
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2010, 05:00:17 PM »
Those look cool! I've got an SD MixPre that covers my needs. But I still record mixerless most times. I have recorded live music & plays for video projects, both mixerless and modless on an Edirol R4-Pro and had no noise complaints. Some things you record just don't dip down below the noise threshold, and sound stellar with nothing special needed to help the recorder. Still I got the modded 680 because sometimes I will be doing dialogue for a film, or nature recording. Best to be prepared, but not to worry if you can't afford all the specialties at one time.

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
I've used mine without outboard gear and no mod for interviews which were paying gigs with no complaints. There was plenty of gain using sennheiser,audio technica and nevaton lavaliers. Of course I expect external pres to sound better, for my purposes the stock 680 was sufficient

kirk97132

« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
Little box and or big box are nice pres but lack a digital spdif out put that you need to utilize channels 7 & 8.  I am waiting on the new SD usbpre-2  but have also used a BM2p+ UA-5 and an Apogee AD-1000.  For me personally I like to be able to change the preamp and a mod is not something you can change. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com