Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track Part 2  (Read 101658 times)

Offline Chadfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track Part 2
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2010, 05:26:47 PM »
Yeah that SD usbpre-2 looks sweet! I wonder if there is some way to power it with a BDS? I want to get everything hooked up to a BDS then just forget about powering everything.
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2010, 05:49:01 PM »
  "For me personally I like to be able to change the preamp and a mod is not something you can change."

This is a good point, Kirkd.  I also like the idea of being able to potentially use the littlebox with my DR-1 and the Busman actives (whenever they come available) for a more low-pro setup. 

"I've used mine without outboard gear and no mod for interviews which were paying gigs with no complaints. There was plenty of gain using sennheiser,audio technica and nevaton lavaliers. Of course I expect external pres to sound better, for my purposes the stock 680 was sufficient"

Thanks for the opinion tcf.  I haven't had the opportunity to do quiet acoustic recordings yet, but if you had success with interview levels, then it's another good grade for the 680's internal preamps.

Hope you enjoy the busman mod, chadfish.  The samples I heard of Chris Johnson's at pickathon (lma), sounded very good.

Thanks for all the input.
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
Got a question:

I don't know much about digital inputs, and the s/pdif switchable to AES/EBU input on the 680. But I would like to know if an optical output from say, a Sony D50, could be simply converted to go into the digital input on the 680. Anyone?

I ask because I'm trying to justify getting a D50 to mostly record simple stuff around the house, song ideas, possibly simple live recordings (rather than a Zoom H1) and possibly use it as a stereo mic going into ch 7-8 in the DR-680.

Thanks.
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

kirk97132

« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2010, 02:18:36 PM »
Yeah that SD usbpre-2 looks sweet! I wonder if there is some way to power it with a BDS? I want to get everything hooked up to a BDS then just forget about powering everything.

I don't really know anything about distro systems and I am guessing that it is geared towards filming more than audio only applications.  The USBPre-2 will require 5 Volts on the USB jack similar to what a Microtrack I setup needs. (could be same for MT II I don't know).  SInce I am looking for a 12V and a 5V source in addition to the 9violt setup I already have, I was looking at stuff like this:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136412.0

But I was also thinking of building my own setup to step down the voltage from my DVD batteries to 5V.  But since I need a 12V source for the AD1K and a 5v source for the USBPre2 the linked battery sure is a perfect fit.   

I have run my 680 without pres, and with a V2, AD1K, MP-2, BM2p+.  Most of the applications where I used the stock pres were sbd feeds.  A few multitrack setups when it was a dynamic vocal mic too.  I can't say that I noticed any problems or issues.   I had read somewhere that the specs between the 680 and the 7xx series preamps were very close.  Out of the box this is a good sounding deck.  The thing that is driving my search for a preamp is the ability to use channels 7 & 8 via a spdif input.  The Ua-5 I sued (granted it was modded) worked just fine.  And I actually had a hard time letting go if it due to it's flexibility.  I'm lucky that a buddy owns one that I can use pretty much anytime I want.  I've picked up the Apogee and even though it is only 20 bit I feel like the higher quality overcomes the slightly different bit rate to give me a better sound.  I also sold off the V2 in order to buy the new SD preamp.  since it was actually a little cheaper than a used V2 AND has digi output to me it was a no brainier.  SO no I have the ability to run the unit stock, or with any combination of two SD preamps and an Apogee.  And if I really bugged my friends I could borrow a V2 or V3 at times.  So that flexibility is not something I want to forgo by have a deck modded.  I guess you could still run outboard preamps into a modded deck but I'm not sure what kind of sound it would give you.  The other draw back IMO is that when/if you go to sell you never get a good return on the money invested in the mods.  The up side to the mods is you can carry less gear.  That does not matter to me, I carry way too much crap anyhow ;D  And there is the preamp-mic combo.  some mics sound better with certain preamps.  The other thing that makes me gun shy of the mod is...what if I don't like it?  Am I wiling to ask how ever modded it(well Chris at this point) to undo the mod?  I would never ask that so I'd rather just not get it done.  But if you like the mod then it is more than worth the money you spent.  I think it really comes down to personal choices.  Especially if you are looking at keeping the deck for a long long time, and want to carry less gear it could be a perfect choice.  IF you are always wanting to try different things and different preamps then maybe a mod is not in the cards. 

kirk97132

« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
Got a question:

I don't know much about digital inputs, and the s/pdif switchable to AES/EBU input on the 680. But I would like to know if an optical output from say, a Sony D50, could be simply converted to go into the digital input on the 680. Anyone?

I ask because I'm trying to justify getting a D50 to mostly record simple stuff around the house, song ideas, possibly simple live recordings (rather than a Zoom H1) and possibly use it as a stereo mic going into ch 7-8 in the DR-680.

Thanks.
There is stuff out there.  I dunno about the quality or compatibility.  But do you really want to input a set of cheap stereo mic in the 680?  wouldn't that be a sort of step backwards?  You can just record the mics onto the deck, why go through the trouble of sending that signal to the 680, I don't think you'd be gaining anything. 

The USBPre2 has toslink & Spdif outputs fwiw

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »
There is stuff out there.  I dunno about the quality or compatibility.  But do you really want to input a set of cheap stereo mic in the 680?  wouldn't that be a sort of step backwards?  You can just record the mics onto the deck, why go through the trouble of sending that signal to the 680, I don't think you'd be gaining anything. 

The USBPre2 has toslink & Spdif outputs fwiw

yeah, I agree with Kirk. if you want the d50, I would just use it as is or with a pre-amp but not connected to ANOTHER recorder. If you're looking for a small hand-held recorder, check out sony d50, sony, m10, edirol r-09hr, tascam dr2d, olympus ls10.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2010, 03:10:06 PM »
Kirkd

The mod Busman offers is only a "Transparent" mod. I posted his description of what he does earlier in this thread I believe. All he's doing is adding better quality parts that result in less noise and better soundstage. It's not like a warm mod where it colors your signal to sound more analogue. I would absolutely still use a Sound Devices mixer in front of a modded 680 because the SD outputs a Line level signal, so you get even less noise on top of the benefits of the mod, and you get the super sweet optical limiters of the SD in both the input and the output. Once you calibrate your recorder to the tone signal the SD sends out you are virtually UNCLIPPABLE, and you don't need to even think about the 680 limiters. Yes I work in video, but audio is also my occupation. It is always better to use a mixer (preamp in the audio world) at line level over going straight in at mic level. I'm positive you will still have all the options and choices of preamp usage with a modded recorder. The only difference is less noise, and a more accurate reproduction of what's getting recorded.

As for the BDS, I need to look into that more to know just what it does. Been too busy to do my homework.  I know it will do the mixers, but not sure on the 680: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646088-REG/Remote_Audio_BDS1_6V3_BDS_v3_Battery_Distribution.html#reviews 

With a battery like this, you're good to go all day: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/208321-REG/Bescor_BPNP1_BP_NP1_NP_1_Style_NiCd.html#specifications

••• I hear ya on the d50. I thought it had pretty nice mics, but not as nice as my other "real" mics I guess. That SD USPBpre2 is the answer, but an expensive one for only an occasional need for 8 tracks.

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
Wops! Accidentally posted without writing.

I like the M10, except fhr the mics. I can't stand the new direction of putting omni mics on these little recorders. For simple song idea capture, I think the Zoom H1 looks nice. With omni anything beyond a couple of feet gets blended with too much background nose due to the polar pattern. Omni likes a close source. I would love the D50 though. Just can't justify 500.00 for what I need, though if I come in to some extra money I may do it. That little zoom is pretty cool for just playing around though.

yeah, I agree with Kirk. if you want the d50, I would just use it as is or with a pre-amp but not connected to ANOTHER recorder. If you're looking for a small hand-held recorder, check out sony d50, sony, m10, edirol r-09hr, tascam dr2d, olympus ls10.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:17:49 PM by Chadfish »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
ebay has some D50 demos for $350 http://cgi.ebay.com/Demo-Sony-PCM-D50-/150507175134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230aed3cde

There is also one in the YS for $350, which is a nice price for a D50.

Wops! Accidentally posted without writing.

I like the M10, except fhr the mics. I can't stand the new direction of putting omni mics on these little recorders. For simple song idea capture, I think the Zoom H1 looks nice. With omni anything beyond a couple of feet gets blended with too much background nose due to the polar pattern. Omni likes a close source. I would love the D50 though. Just can't justify 500.00 for what I need, though if I come in to some extra money I may do it. That little zoom is pretty cool for just playing around though.

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
Noooooo! Damn, now you got me thinking... Can I drop another 350.00 when I just dropped 1,100.00 on a DR-680, and 200.00 on some Sennheiser HD 25-1 II cans? Thanks for the tip.

kirk97132

« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »
Chadfish  Remember the 680 will run fine on 9 volts even though it does not reflect that in the manual.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:48:24 PM by kirkd »

kirk97132

« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »
Edited for clarification.  IF I have to pick pro or con on the mod issue I guess for the deck I am con.  This in no way reflects on Chris, since he is the only person doing mods right now.  In fact I have owned a UA-5 modded by Chris and a pair of LDC mics that he worked on too.  With that said......

Kirkd

The mod Busman offers is only a "Transparent" mod. I posted his description of what he does earlier in this thread I believe. All he's doing is adding better quality parts that result in less noise and better soundstage.

I was working as part of the crew with Chris at the Bluegrass gig he cited.  We had time to talk about the stock VS mod unit. 

Better quality that results in less noise.  For nature or maybe dialog Sure why not.  But for me, I record live amplified music 99.97% of the time.  There will be more noise from the crowd just talking than there will ever be from the recorder.  And I think for most applications this holds true...that the "noise" of the "room" or location will be above the units stock noise floor and or the mics noise floor.  It becomes a moot point.  A better soundstage.....I guess if you are recording as a stereo pair.  I almost exclusively use the deck as a multitrack unit with mono channels and   "placement" of the sound is accomplished in post when I mix.  For me, the $300 is better spent else where.  Like I said it comes down to personal choice.    To each their own.  IF it works for you then it is right for you.  Having the $300 works for me so it's right for me :-*  I'd also look at it this way....If the Preamps are nearly identical to the specs of the Sound Devices 7xx series recorders, which many consider to be the "industry standard" why change things?  Granted the two units are not built the same, the &xx are built like tanks.  If you had a 744 or a 788 would you want to mod it?  And like I said before WHAT IF you did not like the way it changed the sound, then what?  IE: what if you thought it made the mids to bright, or you perceived more of a harshness after the mod or pick anything but WHAT IF you didn't like how it changed things?  I would NEVER go back to someone like Chris and ask him to undo his work, I think it would come off as an insult, so then what would my options be, send it to Tascam and pay full charge for factory work since there is no warranty now?  I could go on, but I think you get my drift.  It really comes down to that dreaded personal taste...it depends on what you want for your unit.  For me I'll stick with stock and spend the money on more toys ;D 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:34:08 PM by kirkd »

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »
I hear ya kirkd.

It sounded like you were worried you wouldn't like the sound the mod may cause, more so than the noise being reduced. If you just don't need a very-very quiet recorder that makes sense to me. I've recorded shows with the R-4 pro and been happy as far as noise goes. I just wasn't concerned that the mods would change the character of the pres. Maybe that does happen too. All I expected was a quieter unit. And with R-44's going for 1,000.00 I was happy to pay the extra 300.00, as it only feels like an extra 100.00 in my mind for a 1,100.00 total on a unit with 4 more tracks. Either way I think we all are stoked to be able to have great gear like this to go make nice recordings with.

Tape on brothers...     Maybe this site should be called Capturesection.com?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
The ebay auction has a make an offer so you may be able to get it for less than $350!  I'm real happy with my D50.

Noooooo! Damn, now you got me thinking... Can I drop another 350.00 when I just dropped 1,100.00 on a DR-680, and 200.00 on some Sennheiser HD 25-1 II cans? Thanks for the tip.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
I couldn't resist. I put in an offer.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com