Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Right Angle S/PDIF for a UA-5  (Read 3962 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Right Angle S/PDIF for a UA-5
« on: September 12, 2003, 03:11:43 PM »
Has anyone with a UA-5 had luck with getting a right angle S/PDIF cable to work?  I had one made by Ed @ KindKables.  Ed did everything he could to work with me but we couldn't seem to get a S/PDIF  cable that would work.  They kept losing signal.  Something about the length of the post/depth of the UA-5 connector.  Right now, I am using a Hosa S/PDIF cable and a Rat Shack right angle connector.  Seems to work but I don't trust it too much.  Thanks for any help.

-Kevin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 03:34:39 PM by blu666z »

Offline rmouk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Right Angle Digitals for a UA-5
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 03:20:37 PM »
Kevin,

I've got the right angle toslink to mini-optical from SoundProfessionals and it seems to work OK.  Sam Bush last Saturday was the first full show I used it, but we didn't have any problems.  I'd be interested to know if anybody else has more extensive experience with that particular cable.  Here's the link to the SP page:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=220&item=SP-TMOC-RA&type=store

Bob

Offline blu666z

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 03:22:14 PM »
I'm looking at digital not optical.

-Kevin

Offline rmouk

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 03:24:03 PM »
I thought optical was digital.  Do you mean coax?

Bob

Offline blu666z

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 03:28:29 PM »
Yes. I normally see coax refered to as digital and optical as optical.

-Kevin

rabhan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 03:30:58 PM »
just call is spdif

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
Re:Right Angle S/PDIF for a UA-5
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 04:04:47 PM »
Aren't both the optical and the coax S/PDIF?  Both are digital, though...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 04:07:59 PM »
Kevin,

I've got the right angle toslink to mini-optical from SoundProfessionals and it seems to work OK.  Sam Bush last Saturday was the first full show I used it, but we didn't have any problems.  I'd be interested to know if anybody else has more extensive experience with that particular cable.  Here's the link to the SP page:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=220&item=SP-TMOC-RA&type=store

Bob

Been using it for 3 months in between an ad500 and a jb3.  No problems whatsoever.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 04:17:31 PM »
Good call, John, both are S/PDIF - from http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213474,00.html:

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is a standard audio transfer file format.  It is usually found on digital audio equipment such as a DAT machine or audio processing device. It allows the transfer of audio from one file to another without the conversion to and from an analog  format, which could degrade the signal quality.

The most common connector used with an S/PDIF interface is the RCA
connector, the same one used for consumer audio products. An optical connector is also sometimes used.

So Kevin, to confuse things more, you're looking for a right-angle S/PDIF coax. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 04:24:09 PM »
How hard could it be.  The wires would be the same, the posts the same...I don't buy the dropout bit with rt angles.  What kind of connectors was he using?  I would reccomend tryingf a different one if he was having problems.  How much was he charging for such a beast at cuiosity.  Wish I had some rt angles, I would build you one myself just to see if it works.  I have the extra coax cable sitting here!

Daryan

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 05:03:01 PM »
Has anyone with a UA-5 had luck with getting a right angle S/PDIF cable to work?  I had one made by Ed @ KindKables.  Ed did everything he could to work with me but we couldn't seem to get a S/PDIF  cable that would work.  They kept losing signal.  Something about the length of the post/depth of the UA-5 connector.  Right now, I am using a Hosa S/PDIF cable and a Rat Shack right angle connector.  Seems to work but I don't trust it too much.  Thanks for any help.

-Kevin

i don't know what to say about the right angle losing signal but i'd be very careful w/ the ratshack right angle connector.  i have one as an emergency option but in testing at home i've found that it likes to come loose w/ the slightest movement.

Offline blu666z

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 06:02:12 PM »
How hard could it be.  The wires would be the same, the posts the same...I don't buy the dropout bit with rt angles.  What kind of connectors was he using?  I would reccomend tryingf a different one if he was having problems.  How much was he charging for such a beast at cuiosity.  Wish I had some rt angles, I would build you one myself just to see if it works.  I have the extra coax cable sitting here!

Daryan

Not sure what kind of connectors he was using, but he charged my $30 for a 1.5' section with a rt angle on one end.  Drop me a PM if your serious about making one.

-Kevin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com