Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Car battery charging rig batteries and other gear?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Car battery charging rig batteries and other gear?
« on: October 13, 2006, 02:18:23 AM »
Hey all.... I recently got a new jeep that has a lighter socket that can be in use without all the other cars accessories being on (if that makes sense.)  In general you don't need a key in the ignition and can plug things in directly through the lighter port.  My last jeep you had to turn the key to the first position which enabled the lighter port and other accessories you did not want running that would draw extra power.

I'm trying to get an idea in general of how much I can use the lighter before causing a significant drain on the car battery.  I'm assuming I can charge several DVD/RC batteries without much issue.  However would running a typical boom box (runs on 8Ds) zap the battery pretty quick.  The only thing they mention in the manual is using a laptop and they give no estimates of how long one would last so I'm guessing it would be a somewhat long time.  The manual gives no mention of the battery capacity or the maximum mAh draw through the lighter.

I'll probably just start the car every once and a while to recharge the battery to be safe, but if anyone has a grand cherokee with the same feature and can give me any real life experience it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dana
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Car battery charging rig batteries and other gear?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:54:03 AM »

I'll probably just start the car every once and a while to recharge the battery to be safe, but if anyone has a grand cherokee with the same feature and can give me any real life experience it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dana

Car batteries will last a while for charging gear, but like you said, it's a good idea to start your car every hour or so (maybe less?  depends on the car, of course...) and run the engine for 5 mintues just to make sure you won't get stranded.

A good friend's dumb-ass girlfriend killed our battery this year at Bonnaroo when she decided to charge her cell phone and Ipod at the same time.  She also left the doors open, burning the lights.  Let's just say that I had little to say to her on the way home.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com