Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

MK41 config

(1/5) > >>

guitard:
I hate asking stupid questions, but ...

I am in the market for a stand and t-bar to use with my rig that includes MK41s.  While looking around at various bars and mounts, I saw this hat mount for MK41Vs:

And it surprised me because my first thought was that if you wear this in the front of your hat, the mics will be pointing away from the sound source.  So now for the (potentially really stupid) question - should I be pointing my MK41s in the same directions?  If that's the case, I've literally been pointing them the wrong way.  But I know that MK41s and MK41V are two different mics, so maybe I'm not as stupid as I first thought (fingers crossed!).  Basically, I've just been positioning them so that they are (generally) pointed forward and positioned on either side of the front part of my kangaroo.  Of course, the NBobs and caps are positioned horizontally.

todd e:
imagine a kangol being worn backwards... 8)  (i.e. samuel jackson)

goodcooker:

The MK41V is side address - the diaphragm is mounted in the middle of the vented housing facing the side so sound enters through the side vents

Your MK41 is end address - the capsule is mounted near the end facing the vents on the end so sound enters where you have it pointed.

I would not use this mount for 41s - it's intended specifically for the vertically mounted mk41V - keep doing what you have been doing.

My favorite mounting setup for the 41s was a Vark bar, Schoeps SGC mini clips and a A20 mount to hold the vertical attachment for the bar.

guitard:

--- Quote from: goodcooker on September 13, 2023, 03:13:38 PM ---
The MK41V is side address - the diaphragm is mounted in the middle of the vented housing facing the side so sound enters through the side vents

Your MK41 is end address - the capsule is mounted near the end facing the vents on the end so sound enters where you have it pointed.

I would not use this mount for 41s - it's intended specifically for the vertically mounted mk41V - keep doing what you have been doing.

My favorite mounting setup for the 41s was a Vark bar, Schoeps SGC mini clips and a A20 mount to hold the vertical attachment for the bar.

--- End quote ---

Part of my ignorance is that I've literally never taped with another true taper; let alone someone who tapes with the same mics.  Having said that, thank you for letting me know my stupid question didn't turn out to be stupid!

guitard:

--- Quote from: goodcooker on September 13, 2023, 03:13:38 PM ---My favorite mounting setup for the 41s was a Vark bar, Schoeps SGC mini clips and a A20 mount to hold the vertical attachment for the bar.
--- End quote ---

Do the Schoeps SGC mini clips screw onto the Vark bar?  I looked at several websites selling those clips, but they all use the same pic and don't offer a view of the underside of the clip.

I gather you snap your MK41s into the mini clips that are attached to the Vark bar, and then adjust the direction of the mics accordingly?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version