Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: boundary mics...again  (Read 2884 times)

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
boundary mics...again
« on: November 29, 2008, 05:02:09 PM »
So how about these for our purposes:

http://www.akg.gr/pdfakg/AKG_C680BL.pdf
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: boundary mics...again
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 07:03:37 PM »
Don't know the mic, but doesn't sound promising. Only rated down to 60 Hz for the bass and very expensive (@$299) compared to good sounding mini-mics. I think they're designed more for recording church services, etc.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:03:50 AM »
Don't know the mic, but doesn't sound promising. Only rated down to 60 Hz for the bass and very expensive (@$299) compared to good sounding mini-mics. I think they're designed more for recording church services, etc.

Don't let the 60hz thing fool you. It depends on how AKG is measuring the low end. Also most cardioid mics are not flat down to 60hz and start to roll off around 60hz. Alot of mic companies will say 60hz to 20k that does not mean the mic stops working below 60hz it just means there is a roll off of low frequency. This type of mic is called a phase coherent cardioid mic. The capsule is firing along the boundary unlike the Crown pzm that fires down toward the boundary. Setting up these mics in a live situation would involve placing them on a flat surface and pointing them towards the sound source that would not be easy. Unlike PZM mics that are hung on a wall.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:07:56 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 12:36:42 AM »

Don't let the 60hz thing fool you. It depends on how AKG is measuring the low end. Also most cardioid mics are not flat down to 60hz and start to roll off around 60hz. Alot of mic companies will say 60hz to 20k that does not mean the mic stops working below 60hz it just means there is a roll off of low frequency. This type of mic is called a phase coherent cardioid mic. The capsule is firing along the boundary unlike the Crown pzm that fires down toward the boundary. Setting up these mics in a live situation would involve placing them on a flat surface and pointing them towards the sound source that would not be easy. Unlike PZM mics that are hung on a wall.

Chris

Hey Chris,
I've taped a few gigs by putting phase-coherent mics on opposite sides of the room, each mic 6' up on the wall, facing towards a speaker.  (The speakers were mounted against the walls.)  Sounded pretty good.  So good I'm tempted to replace the (AT853) capsules with something really good (like Sennheiser omni elements).

Richard
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:39:18 AM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:07:32 PM »
Thanks for the info folks.
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »
It's a half-cardioid boundary mic. designed for speech.

It starts rolling off the bass at 200Hz and has a large 5dB presence boost peaking at around 4kHz.

I would not use this mic. for music.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »
FWIW -

IMO there is a general usage of mics in a regular way.  This is because of what works.  The chances of finding some obscure mic and using it to startle yourself, your friends and strangers, too, are slim and none.  It could happen, but "conventional wisdom" is conventional wisdom because that is what works almost always.

Now here is where the rub is.  I have only about twenty or so years left in my life, so I will play the odds that are in my favor.  I just do not have the time or money to bet on long shots.  I am going with what works, what has been demonstrated to work by pros and what is being brought to market and has gained an acceptance by folks who should know.  If other folks want to try running against the odds and experimenting with the other stuff that is fine.  But consider this: while they are experimenting, the rest of us are bringing home good recordings.

As I said, this is just my opinion.  I do not mean to say that questioning and experimenting is wrong or a waste of time and/or effort.  I champion it.  There are some interesting and notable efforts on this board.  There are also limits to what is possible.   

As usual, YMMV.      8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »
FWIW -

IMO there is a general usage of mics in a regular way.  This is because of what works.  The chances of finding some obscure mic and using it to startle yourself, your friends and strangers, too, are slim and none.  It could happen, but "conventional wisdom" is conventional wisdom because that is what works almost always.

Now here is where the rub is.  I have only about twenty or so years left in my life, so I will play the odds that are in my favor.  I just do not have the time or money to bet on long shots.  I am going with what works, what has been demonstrated to work by pros and what is being brought to market and has gained an acceptance by folks who should know.  If other folks want to try running against the odds and experimenting with the other stuff that is fine.  But consider this: while they are experimenting, the rest of us are bringing home good recordings.

As I said, this is just my opinion.  I do not mean to say that questioning and experimenting is wrong or a waste of time and/or effort.  I champion it.  There are some interesting and notable efforts on this board.  There are also limits to what is possible.   

As usual, YMMV.      8)
Everyone is in this game for a different reason.  Some people, like myself, thrive on adversity.  We love to mess with crazy rigs, usually trying to drink at the same time, lol.  Sometimes we succeed and sometimes we fail, but the results are always spectacular  >:D.  That said, the hardcore taper will usually run at least two rigs.  One "safe" one, a tried and true method, and another experimental one.

By the way, the "safest" method is to use hat worn mics and get where it sounds good.  Never any question in that case.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »

By the way, the "safest" method is to use hat worn mics and get where it sounds good.  Never any question in that case.

Richard

This really DOES seem like the best thing but then you have to stay there for the entire show and that would usually means not consuming many liquids or using the bathroom. My first show was recorded with binaural mics and during the middle of the show I was feeling bad so I had to go sit down. Luckily, the sound didn't get terrible but there was a very noticeable shift. The next time I taped, it was nice to walk around since I had the mics on a stand.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com