Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Blind Listening Test of Two Popular Microphones  (Read 1375 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Blind Listening Test of Two Popular Microphones
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2024, 01:56:59 PM »
Thanks to jb63 for the new comps!

Here is my example, I posted in kickdown, but you can see that the mics are AKG c414 XLS in omni pattern vs AKG Ck22 omni capsules run on an active rig
Here is the kickdown thread. (band is Kung Fu)
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=204829.0

music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Blind Listening Test of Two Popular Microphones
« Reply #16 on: Today at 01:17:16 PM »
Thanks for posting these.  I finally got a chance to listen to them. 

I posted comments on rocksuitcase's (different AKG omnis mixed with SBD) in the other thread.

As for the mk5 /4061 comps, they are significantly different.  What's interesting to me is how much of that difference is due to the difference in frequency response.  Its quite enlightening to EQ each separately to best effect and then compare again.. and alternately or additionally, to EQ one to match the other as closely as possible and then compare.

Because EQing is so powerful and easy, and because it's the first tool I reach for after simple level adjustments, what becomes most interesting to me in comps such as this are any subtle differences which remain once the two are EQ'd to produce a similar response - the non-alterable or not easily alterable differences between them, rather than the quite easily modified differences in response.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com