Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nice mics + smoky rooms  (Read 2335 times)

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
Nice mics + smoky rooms
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:44 PM »
So just turned to the darkside  >:D and was wondering do you guys dare running mk4's in a smoky room?  If not is the thing to do simply own a set of "smoking" and "non-smoking" mics?   ;D
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
Re: Nice mics + smoky rooms
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »
people still smoke indoors?
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »
people still smoke indoors?

Yes here in the dirty south they still can in bars if alcohol is the majority of the sales...  (at least in this town)
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
nice/thick windscreens and I don't remove the mic caps from the screens when in that environment. Yeah, it means you use windscreens indoors, but it's better to have some sort of filter over them then nothing and have to send them back to get cleaned periodically.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
So just turned to the darkside  >:D and was wondering do you guys dare running mk4's in a smoky room?  If not is the thing to do simply own a set of "smoking" and "non-smoking" mics?   ;D

My mk4's made it through many, many a smoky show with no ill side-effects. I *always* ran/run wind screens indoors just to be on the safe side. Before the indoor smoking ban, I'd hand wash them in Woolite every couple of shows and allow to air dry.

Sure glad my gear doesn't smell like a dirty ashtray anymore.

Edit to add: Welcome to the darkside.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:29:07 PM by tim in jersey »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »
nice/thick windscreens and I don't remove the mic caps from the screens when in that environment. Yeah, it means you use windscreens indoors, but it's better to have some sort of filter over them then nothing and have to send them back to get cleaned periodically.

Windscreens...  considering I do most of taping indoors, I think mine would be better called "smokescreens"???  However, there is no smoking in bars in Raleigh anymore so I don't worry...  But I still use them though out of habit...

After every couple of shows, gently wash them by hand with some palmolive or something and let them dry out...  Also, when you get home, open up your mic case and let your mics air-out a little bit...   

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
Windscreens are better than nothing, but not a whole lot. They're made of open-pore foam, and inside them the capsule membrane is highly charged electrostatically--the exact same principle as those devices that are supposed to remove all the smoke from the air in a room.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com