Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade super-mod  (Read 2430 times)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Oade super-mod
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »
Is a deck with Oade SUPER MOD ok for use recording shows? My understanding it's more aimed at ambient nature recordings or video type application.

Thanks.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Oade super-mod
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
Walt,
I just happened to be looking this up last night for kindms- here is the OADE page where this is explained at least for an HDP2 (It appears you are correct re Supermod)
http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/tascam_hd-p2_upgrade.html
in case you can't go to links due to work/firewall restrictions:(FROM the above link):
The HDP2 High Definition Upgrade rebuilds the analog signal path of the stock HD-P2 using very high slew rate op amps with ultra low THD. This upgrade reduces analog signal path distortion to the A/D chip and removes the limits imposed by the lower grade stock signal path chips. This significantly improves clarity and detail as well as size and depth of soundstage.
Click Here to Order

The HDP2 Super MOD increases clarity and detail for enhanced performance in ENG, Nature and Ambient recording, FX or any application that requires high gain and low noise. This upgrade gives the HDP2 a clean and fast signal path that is true to the input signal and use a preamp chip with significantly lower THD (25dB lower than the stock chip) 6dB of gain can be added by request, recommended for Nature recording or ENG with dynamic mics.
>Click Here to Order

The HD-P2 Basic MOD rebuilds the mic preamp using very high slew rate op amps with ultra low THD for enhanced clarity and detail.

music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »
Is a deck with Oade SUPER MOD ok for use recording shows? My understanding it's more aimed at ambient nature recordings or video type application.

Thanks.

That is what it is primarily designed for, but people have posted here in the past that Doug has said it won't distort during most live recordings when the attenuation is set to -18. However to be safe or for recording very loud concerts you could use -10 or -12 dB attenuators between the mics and the recorder. I believe a number of people who primarily record ambiant/acoustic but who sometimes want to record amplified shows have successfully used their Oade Super Mod recorder this way.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
^ Doug basically confirmed this with me when I bought an OCM R44 and asked lots of questions about the specifics of the various mods.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »
Use the pad in the setiings and you''ll be fine.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com