Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4060 direct in to R-09 -- questions  (Read 2001 times)

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
4060 direct in to R-09 -- questions
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:28:04 PM »
I just got a pair of 4060s with MMA6k and I love them so far. Amazing sound. But the MMA6k preamp is a little large for stuffing into a pocket for stealthing.

I've seen some people here talk about running the 4060s direct into an R09. What are my options for doing this if I want to keep the microdot connectors? Is there some sort of dual-microdot to mini plug thing that I can buy, or am I best going with a batt box? If batt box, are there any options other than the one sold by DPA? Just curious...never know when I might need to shed my little gear bag and go for a lower profile approach.

Thanks!
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: 4060 direct in to R-09 -- questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:54:12 AM »
I just got a pair of 4060s with MMA6k and I love them so far. Amazing sound. But the MMA6k preamp is a little large for stuffing into a pocket for stealthing.

I've seen some people here talk about running the 4060s direct into an R09. What are my options for doing this if I want to keep the microdot connectors? Is there some sort of dual-microdot to mini plug thing that I can buy, or am I best going with a batt box? If batt box, are there any options other than the one sold by DPA? Just curious...never know when I might need to shed my little gear bag and go for a lower profile approach.

Thanks!

The MMA6k clips onto a belt or jeans rather nicely (cover it with an oversized shirt, NOT tucked into your jeans - works great for me).  I would stick with what you have - I don't think that you'll do better than the MMA6k...  Just my opinion.

;D
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:01:33 AM »
I've wondered the same thing, but I completely agree with dactylus.  I've never had a problem carrying both and the results speak for themselves.   I haven't tried the mics direct to the recorder, but I have a hard time imagining that the results would be quite as good without the DPA pre that provides optimal power, has better build, more quality components, costs a bit more than the recorder itself and is designed around the mics.  I haven't done a comparison to back up that assumption, but since it's really not much of an issue to carry both I don't worry about it much.

DPA makes microdot > various wireless transmitter adaptors.  Two of those might work along with a 'Y' cable with a stereo mini on the recorder end and the appropriate wireless termination on the other ends. 

Type DAD6007 (AKG PT 300) seems to be a straight-up mono TS 1/8" jack & perhaps your best bet.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm used to pocketing things, so I hadn't really considered the fact that the MMA6k comes with the belt clip thing. I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!!
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com