Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Silica packs for your mics.....humidity is bad.  (Read 7956 times)

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Silica packs for your mics.....humidity is bad.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 11:27:42 AM »
so there's no chance of ruining the diaphragm of the mic by drying it out too much?

that is my thought... i don't want it brittle from being too dry... but i guess it doesn't work that way???!?

i have seen many a $3K guitar get a nice split up in the middle of the top around the bridge by being kept in too dry a climate.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 10:33:16 PM »
so there's no chance of ruining the diaphragm of the mic by drying it out too much?

that is my thought... i don't want it brittle from being too dry... but i guess it doesn't work that way???!?

i have seen many a $3K guitar get a nice split up in the middle of the top around the bridge by being kept in too dry a climate.

That's wood that you're dealing with.  Mics don't have any parts that absorb or are affected by humidity.

"too dry" is just fine for wood, or guitars.  It's when humidity levels change drastically that there are warping problems introduced.  Stuff like that is I think safer in AZ becuase it stays relatively dry all year here.  I lived in Indiana for awhile, and every day seemed to be drastically different humidity wise.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Chachi420

• Taperssection Newbie
  • That's so tacky!
    • Chachi420's Live music list
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 12:27:49 PM »

Yeah, that happened to my Martin DM when I moved to COfrom AL for several months during the winter season. It split on the top from the base to the bridge. Martin gave me a free replacement. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 12:36:55 PM by Chachi420 »
Panasonic GS19 miniDV

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 01:59:28 PM »
care and feeding of the DPA 406x series.
To clean them, place the capsule in distilled water only. do not use an ultrasonic bath, as this might damage the capsule.
This shocks the hell out of me.  Who woulda thunk you could give your mic a bath!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 05:05:22 PM »
care and feeding of the DPA 406x series.
To clean them, place the capsule in distilled water only. do not use an ultrasonic bath, as this might damage the capsule.
This shocks the hell out of me.  Who woulda thunk you could give your mic a bath!

Matt

Seriously Moke?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 08:17:24 PM »
;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

kskreider

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 10:42:28 PM »
My AK40 capsules slide right into film canisters that each have a single silica pack in them.  I recharge them (if I can remember to) by tossing them up by the oven vent as it is cooling down. 

I'll most likely continue this practice even though I moved from humid upstate NY to dry, dry, SF Bay...

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »
I'll most likely continue this practice even though I moved from humid upstate NY to dry, dry, SF Bay...

uhh,  has global warming realy changed things that much in the last 20 yrs or so?  i made that trip (from w. mass) in the mid '80s and it seems to me that the humidity only went up.  or did i just miss the sarcasm button  ???
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

kskreider

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 07:40:45 AM »

uhh,  has global warming realy changed things that much in the last 20 yrs or so?  i made that trip (from w. mass) in the mid '80s and it seems to me that the humidity only went up.  or did i just miss the sarcasm button  ???

I live in the south part of the bay in Sunnyvale.  Believe it or not the air is much drier there.  Not to mention that a lot more of my taping will occur up towards the Davis/Sacramento area now that wifey-poo is gonna teach at UCD.  That area is DRY.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 10:56:18 AM »
totally serious!!

406x manual, page two

8< .... Do not use any cleaning fluid other than distilled water. Use of ultrasonic baths must be avoided 8<

8< .... if the mic gets filled with water, it will not be damaged, but possibly turn deaf while the water is captured inside the microphone, behind the protection grid. remove the water by shaking it, and drying with a lint free cloth. 8<

My letter to MBHO
Hello,
I have a couple of qustions about my mics (603 w/ ka200 and ka100lk.  I bought them used and they came with no manual.
1.  What happens if they get wet?  A friend of mine quoted to me that his dpa's could be cleaned by submirsing the caps in water.  Will rain have any permant effects?
Dear Matthew Mc Culloch,

thank you for your E-mail.

Your first question :
After talking with MBHO  we want inform you that MBHO capsules should
not come into contact with water !   Mr Haun said also that up to now,
he never have heard from any microphone-manufactors who supplying
washable capusles.  The microphones are produced for indoor applications
like recordingstudios, radio + tv-studios,  theaters and concerthalls.
I guess DPA's are one of the few washable caps!
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 01:05:25 PM »
most DPAs are very well suited to resist contact with H2O...heck, they even have an underwater mic!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.177 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com