Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Listening to JB3/DAT/MD in car  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Listening to JB3/DAT/MD in car
« on: April 23, 2004, 05:50:22 PM »
I have a JB3, and would like to listen to it in my car.  I have no tape deck, so that's not an option.  I do have a CD player-AM/FM tuner.  Is there a solution?  What about something that plugs in to the headphone jack that outputs an FM signal?  And I don't want to do headphones, either.  Thx.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
Re:Listening to JB3/DAT/MD in car
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 06:01:49 PM »
Your only option is an FM-transmitter. It broadcasts over a station that is not being used. You can buy these at BestBuy or Circuit City or some other big electonics store. Other than that, I know of no other device.

My work tuck has a 1/8" input, so I use a m > M cable from the JB3 to radio. It does skip a good bit and I have to stop taking to wth me.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 06:02:40 PM »
Is there a solution?  What about something that plugs in to the headphone jack that outputs an FM signal?

Yup, that'll work.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 06:09:07 PM »
Been thinking about picking one of those FM x-mitters for after show listening.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 06:16:06 PM »
I have a 1/8" input, and I have a cable with that on both ends... and I did do that for after show listening, but the quality of my stereo in my car is sooo crappy, that it drastically exaggerated the bad aspects of the recording.

It was enough to make me not do so anymore.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 06:21:26 PM »
I've never had very much luck with those FM transmitters...but that was a while ago and maybe they've improved since?

Here is what I did for car playback.  Bought a new deck because I needed a new one badly.  But I made sure to get one that has an auxillery audio input(not very many have this).  It was actually one over at Car Toys that was onsale for 50 bucks off a couple months ago.   It had 2 RCA inputs so I mounted a 1/8th inch jack just below it so I can plug into it directly from JB3/minidisc/CD.   There are some out that that have the jack directly on the front which works out even better.   I have no idea why more car decks don't have this feature....it doesn't make sense with all the IPods and such out there.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 07:04:22 PM »
I've never had very much luck with those FM transmitters...but that was a while ago and maybe they've improved since?

Here is what I did for car playback.  Bought a new deck because I needed a new one badly.  But I made sure to get one that has an auxillery audio input(not very many have this).  It was actually one over at Car Toys that was onsale for 50 bucks off a couple months ago.   It had 2 RCA inputs so I mounted a 1/8th inch jack just below it so I can plug into it directly from JB3/minidisc/CD.   There are some out that that have the jack directly on the front which works out even better.   I have no idea why more car decks don't have this feature....it doesn't make sense with all the IPods and such out there.

WHat would be really sick is if they had digital inputs, and our portable had digital outputs...  since I turned over to digital on my home system, I can really hear significant deterioration when I have to go analog...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 09:02:14 PM »
The Aiwa line has a mini jack on the front panel.  I have the low end Aiwa, and it doesn't sound to bad... sounds MUCH better using the input jack than putting a cd in especially with a 48k file.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 09:20:51 PM »
I have a Panasonic I got off ebay for $109 that has the 1/8 aux input on the front panel. very handy, perfect for at least taking a listen on the way home from a show.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 09:22:18 PM »

WHat would be really sick is if they had digital inputs, and our portable had digital outputs...  since I turned over to digital on my home system, I can really hear significant deterioration when I have to go analog...

Agreed....that would be awesome.   Hopefully sometime in the not too far off future :)
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 12:02:41 AM »
The Aiwa line has a mini jack on the front panel.  I have the low end Aiwa, and it doesn't sound to bad... sounds MUCH better using the input jack than putting a cd in especially with a 48k file.

Interesting... seems like converting a digital source to analog then back to digital would sound worse than something that remained digital the whole time...  interesting!

I think it always sounds better on the cd than through the input on my car stereo... maybe a placebo effect or something...?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 06:15:50 PM »
Ok, just went to Best Buy to check the FM transmitter thing--they had two choices, one for $20 and the other for $70.  I bought the $20 one--what a piece of crap.  And $70 seems pricey for one, even if it works.

???

Any better solutions?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 02:40:18 AM »
dood, while you're taking back the $20 piece of crap, go check out the car audio section.  last year i got a jvc indash cd player with cd changer controls, two sets of amp outs, fold down face, and aux in on the front for around $150 including installation (note: i had to fix the install to my liking when i got it home - but the guys at bb did a decent job, but not awesome).  This thing can do everything, i can even change the amount of volume my subs put out.

i think its well worth it in the long run.  plus it reads cd text, so when i back up my cds and keep them in my car it says the cd title, band title, and song title when the cd is playing.  very nice.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 12:47:12 PM »
thanks ed, but I am extremely happy with my Alpine deck--it does all you say your does plus an extra amp out, crossover controls from the deck interface.  BUT, I also paid quite a bit more for it, and no aux in :(  
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 01:32:45 PM »

Interesting... seems like converting a digital source to analog then back to digital would sound worse than something that remained digital the whole time...  interesting!

I think it always sounds better on the cd than through the input on my car stereo... maybe a placebo effect or something...?

my aiwa deck has a low end cd section... it is converting to analog as well... you can't hear digital.  The mini jack bypasses all of that and goes straight to the pre on the deck.  I hear a huge difference on the imaging... The da/ad on the jb3 isn't all that bad... much better than a $110 car deck for sure.

Matt
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com