Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP! DAT RIP!  (Read 4916 times)

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Re: HELP! DAT RIP!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 03:11:51 PM »
Ian,

thanks for the reply. Should I consider flipping the tape over? because I hear nothing on the side that we spliced it on.

are you sure that the tape recorded? was it at the end or is it at the beginning? the tape could have broken before anything was written to it... therefore the counter woulda been going and it'd look like it was taping, but in reality nothing was being written

that's the big thing.

you might not have any music on the spot on the tape where the splice is... but how about before/after it?

you def dont want to be flipping the tape around and creating "twists" in the film of the tape...

what kind of tape are you using for the splice? when i did mine, i used casette splicing tape.

Only time I've broken tapes is when my d8 misloads and I pull the tape out and it was caught on the trasnport. Could be what happened in which case you may not have anything on the tape.

-e

ok but there was not a bunch of dat tape in the recorder . it taped all the way through becasue the 90m was almost all through to the end. as I taped the opener and dm plus martin gore's dj set so it was almost 3 hrs. I had to have taped something. there was only some out that was caught on something.

Not necessarily....when a tape misloads the counter still runs...you still get levels...but you get nothing written on the tape...believe me it's played out that way at least 3 times for me.

-e

yea but when that happens, the tape isn't all the way at the end or somewhere in the middle... usually its still at the very beginning. no?
in the one or two times it's happend to me, thats the way it went down.

could be totally diff issues happening though, its tough to pinpoint.

sounds like the first thing you need to do is get a better splice and tension the tape correctly.

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 03:34:26 PM »

Not necessarily....when a tape misloads the counter still runs...you still get levels...but you get nothing written on the tape...believe me it's played out that way at least 3 times for me.

-e

yea but when that happens, the tape isn't all the way at the end or somewhere in the middle... usually its still at the very beginning. no?
in the one or two times it's happend to me, thats the way it went down.

could be totally diff issues happening though, its tough to pinpoint.

sounds like the first thing you need to do is get a better splice and tension the tape correctly.

Last time it happened to me my tape was at the end
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 04:50:56 PM »
and its always important to remember the heads-out-of-alignment problem, when you actually recording a recording onto a dat, but the playback deck's heads (or those on the recording deck for that matter) get out of alignment so that the dat appears to have no data on it when in fact it certainly does, this sounds like the problem for RyanJ

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 12:13:20 PM »
hey guys thanks for all the help on this situation I have. ts.com f'in rocks! +T's all around. I bought a new D100 for x-mas which came in 2 days ago. I played the dat and it worked perfectly. (my M1 is with a friend in chicago who needed it to tape Lolla ove rthe summer, I just never got it back yet.  ;) )

the D8 is now being sent to paul and pro dig for a cleanup.  8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com