Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Custom IEM's  (Read 2795 times)

Offline bhoy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Custom IEM's
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »
I'm looking into getting a set of custom IEM's made for my ears.  Does anyone here use these?  I would mainly use them for portable listening (iPod), home listening, and monitoring recordings in a live situation.  I'm not a musician, so they wouldn't be used for anything band related.

I see Westone makes several sets, and Etmoytic makes a quasi-ear mold version.  The ET's can be inserted into a custom mold, rather than completely built in like the Westone.

I'd love to hear from anyone if you are using IEM's.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Custom IEM's
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
I've used the etymotic er-6 w/ customs and the westone um3x with customs. What are you interested in knowing specifically?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bhoy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »
I was just interested in what brands are available and a rough price.

I see two kinds.  First, headphones than can be inserted into a custom ear mold, and stick out of the ear mold.  Hence these can be used with or without the ear mold.

The second kind appear to be built into the ear mold.  I'm looking at a brand called "1964" now.  This is similar to what bands use on stage.

Westone seems to make each type.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Have you ever had molds made and worn plugs before? If not, I wouldn't drop the major coin until you're comfortable with getting the seal right. Some people get it on the first try, others take a couple of re-molds which can take months.

Sonically I thought the Westones were nice. If I was going to use IEMs a lot, I'd have considered a set from JHAudio which are supposedly the company the beat in the high-end market. Generally, custom units > custom tips on stock units and custom models > reworked stock models in custom molds. A word of caution, when I used them a couple years ago, remolding wasn't working out real well, just buy a set that was intended to be used in a mold.

I suggest you take a gander at the IEM section on head-fi. Take it with a grain of salt, but they have enough info to help make a solid decision.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
I like my IEMs a lot, but I don't usually take them on the bus for just listening to the MP3 player. I'm nervous that I'm going to destroy them, and they'd be a lot more expensive to replace than the $10 ear buds that I do take. I went through Microsonic Music for mine. I actually prototype tested them and the president of the company, Monika did my molds and they worked out pretty well. They don't seal as tightly as my Sure E2s with a universal tip, but I'm pretty sure that's due to the material and not a fault of the mold as they are damn comfortable.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com