Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Listening to shows on the way home advice  (Read 7292 times)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
Listening to shows on the way home advice
« on: November 30, 2018, 12:46:02 AM »
I mainly travel fair distances to attend a show since I live in the land where time has forgotten (not complaining). What I would "like" to do is take the microSD card out of my recorder (Zoom F1) and plop it into a nice portable player like the Sony NW-A45 (or a FiiO) and listen to it on the way home or in the hotel. My questions are :

-- Will the Portable Player somehow try to format the MicroSD card for compatibility and I lose the recording?
-- Would I be better off just using the recorder as the playback unit and using a headphone pre-amp?

I like the idea of the portable player as it's BlueTooth and I can play it through the car system as well. I know some recorders have BlueTooth, like the new Roland R7, but then I would be purchasing a new recorder and the whole setup changes. Some help here from people who actually have done this would be VERY helpful. I would hate for someone to guess wrong and I lose a recording.

The portable player I have in mind is this one if that info helps ...

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A45-Walkman-Hi-Res-Grayish/dp/B0765ZVM6Y
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:48:32 AM by ThePiedPiper »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Listening to shows on the way home advice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 07:24:35 AM »
I mainly travel fair distances to attend a show since I live in the land where time has forgotten (not complaining). What I would "like" to do is take the microSD card out of my recorder (Zoom F1) and plop it into a nice portable player like the Sony NW-A45 (or a FiiO) and listen to it on the way home or in the hotel. My questions are :

-- Will the Portable Player somehow try to format the MicroSD card for compatibility and I lose the recording?
-- Would I be better off just using the recorder as the playback unit and using a headphone pre-amp?

I like the idea of the portable player as it's BlueTooth and I can play it through the car system as well. I know some recorders have BlueTooth, like the new Roland R7, but then I would be purchasing a new recorder and the whole setup changes. Some help here from people who actually have done this would be VERY helpful. I would hate for someone to guess wrong and I lose a recording.

The portable player I have in mind is this one if that info helps ...

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A45-Walkman-Hi-Res-Grayish/dp/B0765ZVM6Y

why not just use the 1/8 inch analog audio out of the Zoom?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 07:31:12 AM »
why not just use the 1/8 inch analog audio out of the Zoom?

Hello! Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned above, that is an option, but not really my question. My question is, will the MicroSD card be reformatted if I take it from the Zoom and install into a media player like the Sony or FiiO? I like the ease of use and some other features (BlueTooth) of the nicer audio players.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Listening to shows on the way home advice
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
You could try it out at home AFTER you have pulled your recording off the card.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
^ that, to be sure. Prior to losing a recording.  And as regular practice, it would be good if you could make a backup copy to a laptop, tablet or phone after the show and before moving the card to the player for travel listening.

Your question is dependant on the playback device.  Most will play existing files on the card as long as they recognize the file format.  Some may need the files in a particular directory.  If the device needs to reformat the card to recognize it, it should ask permission first, upon which you can cancel the operation.

I usually play the files using the same recorder.  That's pretty safe, such that I don't worry about backing up the file prior to listening while traveling home.  Sometimes I need to use a different recorder as playback device- for instance, I record 4 channels using a Tascam DR2d, but the DR2d can only playback one of the two stereo pairs at a time.  If I want to hear the full 4 channel recording I use a laptop to backup the files, and rename them on the card to conform to the file name / directory structure used by the Roland R-44, which I then use for 4-channel playback. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
Related-

Especially when traveling or going to a festival, I setup my SD cards beforehand such that they can be interchanged between any of my devices without needing to reformat and lose whatever data is on the card.  This takes knowing the equipment and its media requirements, then figuring out the correct order to prepare the cards.

I do this so that I can interchange cards between Tascam DR2d, Tascam DR680, Roland R44, and several small cameras.  To do that I first put each card into the DR680 which always asks to format the card, writing a directory structure and system files if it does not detect the presence of that directory structure already on the card.  I then put the card into a DR2d, which adds its own system file (does not add additional directories).  I can then interchange the card between any of my devices without them asking to re-format (or write system files).

You may need to do something similar- inserting the card into both devices, perhaps in a specific order, prior to making a recording so that both devices recognize the card and files.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
You may need to do something similar- inserting the card into both devices, perhaps in a specific order, prior to making a recording so that both devices recognize the card and files.

I think you are on to something! AWESOME idea. Thanks again for all your help! I shall proceed in an orderly fashion.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 08:48:18 AM »
Physically mounting and unmounting flash memory always is a small, but real, risk of data loss.
About reformatting, I see two risks if a player doesn't recognize the recorder's format.
1. Automatic format new media option is enabled
2. Accidentally chosing YES to the pop-up screen asking if player should format new media

I usually copy my recordings, saving the master as pristine as possible until I feel that I'm done with it (like never)

I listen to something else driving home, usually very different from the show, just to keep my grey matter flexible.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

ilduclo

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 09:54:49 AM »

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 10:33:49 PM »

saving the master

This

This?  This what??

Of course I'll save the master, if that wasn't a concern I wouldn't have asked the questions.   :shrug:

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »
Can you not just flip the write protect switch on the card.  Seems simple to me.  :shrug:
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 11:59:24 AM »
Can you not just flip the write protect switch on the card.  Seems simple to me.  :shrug:

On a SD card, sure. But microSD doesn't have the write-protection switch  ;D

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »
For the record, I am currently using Gutbuckets advice and it works like a charm. I mention this so in case someone else was curious, now we know. Thanks to all the above who gave me some assistance. The drive home is enjoyable now  :headphones:

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 11:54:25 PM »
I run a sony pcm-m10 out of my sound devices mixpre6 at every show, usually selecting a single pair for the ride home, and as a backup.

With it, I run the deck much hotter and start it at the last second.

I've always listened to it into headphones from the deck line out to the car.

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

ilduclo

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 12:06:55 AM »

This?  This what??

I meant don’t fuck with playback, buy some merch and listen to that on the way home...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com