Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBM max DC input?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
SBM max DC input?
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:57:44 AM »
Should be askin Doug this but I bother him too much....what is the max DC power, via the DC-in jack, one can feed a SBM?

Thanks,

ANDY

Offline macdaddy

• Needs to get out more...
Re: SBM max DC input?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 08:24:36 AM »
i have only ever used the internal AA batteries...

didnt the oades make a field battery for this thing..? maybe they still have one around somewhere..?

what are you thinking about doing, amigo..?

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:14:54 AM »

what are you thinking about doing, amigo..?

Running a 7.2V battery pack into it.  I ran out of juice at the Metamorphose Festy after 1:45:00 on a set of 2000mAH NiMH that I have been using for 2.5 years.  I really would like to record 6-8 hours straight without noodling around trying to pluck my SBM out of my waistpack during a hectic show/festival scene.  Funny thing is, those same batteries went 3:30:00 last year at Frog Jump in Ueno (Big Frog's marathon show around Halloween).  Maybe a 6V 7aH SLA, but those things weigh like 2-3lbs?

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 11:07:18 AM »
I use the energiser 2500 rechargeables. They give me +/- 4hr's on the SBM-1.  I have 16 of them.  I also have the 15min charger and a power inverter in my car.  I never run out of AA's!

2 years is a long time for a set of rechargeables.  Just pick up a new 4-pack of 2500's for $9.

I use AA's to power my iRiver too (with the gomadic AA's external battery supply) I get 30hrs of record time on a full charge.

I bet the ecocharge that people use for the DATs would work for the SBM?
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »
I used to power both my SBM-1 and my D8 from the same 6V, 7.2 AH SLA battery.  offhand, I don't recall the current draw of the SBM-1, but I bet you'd be fine with a 6V, 4AH SLA battery, and that'd cut out some of the weight.

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »
I use the energiser 2500 rechargeables. They give me +/- 4hr's on the SBM-1.  I have 16 of them.  I also have the 15min charger and a power inverter in my car.  I never run out of AA's!

2 years is a long time for a set of rechargeables.  Just pick up a new 4-pack of 2500's for $9.

Yeah, I was spun at the time...I really KNEW I had to change the batteries out for that particular set (being the guest of the performer and all).  I had extras but again, fishing out the SBM and plucking the batteries seemed too much of a chore at the time.  I thought those batteries could have gone another 15 more min longer (I had done a 1 hour set a few hours before, made sure the SBM was turned off and then ran them again for the next hour long set I was to record).  I had two other sets of 2000mAH NiMH with me, lazy and cheap never gets the job done.  I thought these things were godd for 1000 cycles of charge and discharge.  I even conditioned these batteries about a month ago in one of those fancy MAHA chargers with the conditioning features.

I used to power both my SBM-1 and my D8 from the same 6V, 7.2 AH SLA battery.  offhand, I don't recall the current draw of the SBM-1, but I bet you'd be fine with a 6V, 4AH SLA battery, and that'd cut out some of the weight.

Thanks,  I will look into one of these puppies.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 08:05:24 PM »
i had my set of bats crap out on me at a dos gig right before the first of the year... i have been buying duracells EVERY before every time out since then (this also is to power a mSBM-1). i had relied on these guys for years (since the last vegas phish gigs), nd now i dont know how i can trust them again - the great part... they are mixed in with the other 8 batts i have, so now i dont know which ones failed, so i use none of them for recording (which blows, cos i loved the rechargeables)...

-macdaddy ++

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »
dont know if you're in the market, shaggy, but here is an eternal ecocharge for sale for $40

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=69345.from1155695562
-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com