Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Possible to modify recorder input jack from 1/8" to other?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Possible to modify recorder input jack from 1/8" to other?
« on: November 17, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
Hi, I haven't seen this posted before.
Is there a way to modify the input of a recorder from 1/8" stereo to two 1/8" or 1/4" jacks, or even two RCA jacks?

I have two Edirol R-1 recorders and it would be nice to have a different input since my preamp's output is XLR left and right.

Many thanks,
Tom

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: Possible to modify recorder input jack from 1/8" to other?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 05:15:27 PM »
There really isn't any room inside an R1 to add additional input connections.. What's wrong with using a quality adapter cable?
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »
There's a saying in racing, "Speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go?"
The same applies here.  Sure, anything is possible with a big outlay of cash.

It would be a lot cheaper to sell your recorders and purchase one with XLR
inputs.  Or, even cheaper, buy a cable that has XLR on one end and 1/8-inch
on the other.  Hosa makes several variations on this theme.

There are no pocket size recorders with XLR built into the body.  There's no
room!  The Microtrack 2496 and Microtrack II have balanced 1/4 inch phone jacks
for mic input.  The Tascam DR-1 has a single 1/4 inch input for mono recording.
That's as close as you can come in a pocket size recorder.

Most carry-from-the-shoulder recorders have XLR inputs.  The Marantz PMD660
is the smallest, and usually the cheapest, but it has preamp limitations.  Marantz
has announced a successor model, the PMD661, and it looks very promising
(xlr inputs, digital input, smaller, lighter, runs longer on the same battery power).
The other inexpensive recorder with XLR is the Fostex FR-2LE.

Flintstone

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:25:17 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I already use a Sound Devices 722 recorder, but was interested in using an Ediorl R-1 with a modifed input because stereo mini isn't ideal when coming from XLRs. I'd expect the new input to be on the outside of the recorder, connected by a short cable to the board, or something along those lines. I don't know how it could be done, but I'm curious if it's possible to allow for a more balanced input.

XLR pair > 1/8" cable is what I've used in the past, so I'll probably just do that. Too bad they didn't design these inputs as 1/8" MONO inputs. I have a Sony Reel-to-Reel recorder from the 60's that has two 1/8" mono inputs for each of its Sony cardioid microphones. Very cool technology that was. I think it's cheaper for manufacturers to make a 1/8" stereo jack instead of two monos (1/8, 1/4, or RCA).

-Tom
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:28:13 AM by TheImplodingVoice »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:31:10 AM »
You could crack open the R-1 and hard-wire a dongle onto it.  Then you could add what ever connection you wanted then...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:16:47 AM »
I'm curious if it's possible to allow for a more balanced input.

I have a Sony Reel-to-Reel recorder from the 60's that has two 1/8" mono inputs for each of its Sony cardioid microphones.

You mean electrically balanced, right? There could be vestigial traces and components in there (stranger things have happened) but I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on it. But I see no reason that you wouldn't be able to do "fake balanced" (1&3 = neg; 2 = pos) with female XLR-3 soldered onto lengths of cable, as you suggested. The problem, I'd think, will be getting decent strain relief at the case of the R1. I don't know that I'd epoxy the cable in place but I don't think I'd trust solder (and wire as small as you're going to have to use to get it into the PCB) to hold the "dongle" without help from something. If there's enough room in the case, you can use a tiny cable tie (pulled very tightly around both cables at once and glued down) to stop the wires from pulling out. I've done modifications similar to this; IEC outlets where power cables used to be, 1/4" stereo instead of 1/8", etc. but I always had some room to work inside the cases. It looks like it's pretty tight inside the R1. Hope you can figure something out.

What really caught my attention was the second sentence of yours I quote above. I've various reel-to-reel machines with 1/4" mono (for line-level) and 1/8" mono (for mic-level) inputs. What's funny (to me) is that I can't recall the brand name of my favorite at the moment. I really liked the way that thing sounded. Anyway; I actually used a set of those Sony microphones (found by a friend at a thrift store and still "new" in the wrapping in the '90s). We used them as drum overheads on a project that I recorded for that friend. They had just the "color" he was looking for and they actually sounded good in the context of the recording. Not sure what else I'd use them for now but we did have some fun with them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com