Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-2d Omni's or cardioid  (Read 5332 times)

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Tascam DR-2d Omni's or cardioid
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »
I'm assuming onmi's but I'm not sure.  I've emailed Tascam several times, but they never responded.  Anyone here know?

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-2d Omni's or cardioid
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »
I can't seem to find anywhere either that says for sure but I have compared them sound wise to the D50 and they sound very close to me which would lead me to believe they are cardioids, especially since the M10 mics are specifically listed as omnis but other recorders with cardioids are listed as having internal stereo mics.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »
I taled to Tascam and they didn't really answer my question.  Guy on phone said he thinks it may be omni.  He said there are 2 mics in front, 2 on the side and some on the back....   

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »
I taled to Tascam and they didn't really answer my question.  Guy on phone said he thinks it may be omni.  He said there are 2 mics in front, 2 on the side and some on the back....

Huh?  Do the people who work for the company even know what they are talking about?  I've never seen multiple mics mentioned anywhere.

There are supposed to be 2 fixed mics in the recorder.  I've seen them listed as directional so they are cardioid.  I've also compared them directly to the D50 internal cards and Church Audio omnis, all recording the same source.  The Tascam sounds very similar to the D50.  The CA mics differ from both.  Nothing I've seen in print or experience lead me to believe the Tascam has omnis.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
Well, since several emails to Tascam's pre sales support number went unanswered I called their tech support number to get that answer.  I don't think the guy had a clue.  I even asked him if we were talking about the same unit.  I think he was getting annoyed with me.   

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »
Well, since several emails to Tascam's pre sales support number went unanswered I called their tech support number to get that answer.  I don't think the guy had a clue.  I even asked him if we were talking about the same unit.  I think he was getting annoyed with me.

He honestly did not have a clue.  That's why I try to avoid any tech support lines at all costs.  I had a problem with my brand new Acer laptop recently where 1 USB port quit working after 5 days.  Their one and only piece of advice was to do a system restore.

That's the problem with tech support for almost any company.  You don't actually have to know the products or even understand what they do. 

The Tascam has 2 mics.  That's what stereo means.  Pretty much every hand held recorder except the H2 has 2 mics unless it states otherwise.  The H2 specifically says it has 4 mics.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 11:49:55 PM »
this video states is cardioid
http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/videos/

my bad, just says condenser. :(
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:31:16 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
That's alright, stantheman has one and he said it's cardinoid and that's good enough for me.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »
That's alright, stantheman has one and he said it's cardinoid and that's good enough for me.

It is really odd that NONE of the literature I came across mentions what mic pattern they use. Did you order the dr2d?

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
I'm waiting on a gift card that I should be receiving next week.  Then I'll order it from B&H Photo unless The local Guitar center will match their price.

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 10:04:45 PM »
I'm waiting on a gift card that I should be receiving next week.  Then I'll order it from B&H Photo unless The local Guitar center will match their price.

Seems most units I've seen that have omnis specifically say so, right?  The M10 does and also the Tascam r16 mixer that has mics built in are specifically stated as omnis.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
I finally received a response from Tascam and stantheman was right.  Here is their answers to several of my questions concerning the DR-2d, DR-100 and DP--008;

"The DR-2d is equipped with cardioid microphones and has a battery life of approximately six hours.The built-in microphones have three gain stages and are configured differently than the DP-008 microphones. There is not a performance comparison available for these models.The DR-2d is equipped with an auto gain feature and low cut filters for the built-in microphones to assist in capturing a quality recording.The DR-100 is capable of selecting either line input, XLR inputs or the built-in microphones as a source. Two sources cannot be combined while recording."

So the the DR-2d is in fact cardioid!!!!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »
Appologies for being late to the party..
I opened one up and can confirm that the Dr2d's internal mics are cardioids.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com