Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Uses for AGC on the R-09?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline floete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Uses for AGC on the R-09?
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:01:44 AM »
My r-09 is on the way back to Roland for a look-see into my recent input-level woes, but it occurred to me this morning to ask my betters here what, in the case of the r-09, automatic gain control might be used for?  i know it's *supposed* function -- to capture sources that might be both near and far, as in an interview situation with people talking from different distances.  as far as that goes, within its very limited parameters, the agc in my $35 sony tape recorder does a great job.  as far as i recall from my early look at agc on the r-09, however, it sucked beyond words, or at least it reduced the recording capability to less than my sony, as i recall.  i haven't experimented with it since that early disappointment.  but i'm wondering: is there any way to make it better?  is it just an on/off setting with no other options available in the menu?  i'd look myself but as i say my unit is in the mail.  thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Uses for AGC on the R-09?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 08:09:46 AM »
My understanding with AGC was simply that it limited and adjusted if the rec'ing threatened to peak  - does it also boost low frequencies? I've never used it on anything (for what I do it would be obtrusive and without cmopression will simply result in a very misleading representation of the sound of my voice).
DPA4060
R09

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 11:44:27 AM »
My r-09 is on the way back to Roland for a look-see into my recent input-level woes, but it occurred to me this morning to ask my betters here what, in the case of the r-09, automatic gain control might be used for?  i know it's *supposed* function -- to capture sources that might be both near and far, as in an interview situation with people talking from different distances.  as far as that goes, within its very limited parameters, the agc in my $35 sony tape recorder does a great job.  as far as i recall from my early look at agc on the r-09, however, it sucked beyond words, or at least it reduced the recording capability to less than my sony, as i recall.  i haven't experimented with it since that early disappointment.  but i'm wondering: is there any way to make it better?  is it just an on/off setting with no other options available in the menu?  i'd look myself but as i say my unit is in the mail.  thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Look at AGC this way, if it really worked sound engineers like my self would be looking for a new job.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 12:40:59 PM »
I have long thought that a fairly ideal AGC would be two stage.  The first stage would apply fast acting compresion to prevent peaks from reaching 0dB.  The second stage would work very slowly in either direction to keep the level at the point where compression is zero.  Working together, they should give you a decent hands off level set routine. 

Sadly, this is not possible in the R-09 since the AGC is built into the DSP and has a maximum time constant of something around 1 second.  Adequate for compression but way too fast for AGC in my opinion. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline floete

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »
ah well just as i thought.  i was hoping that somehow it'd be useful for voice recordings.  my early experiments suggested not -- not at all -- and i guess i was right.

one thing i'm going to do is look for a device to have running as backup to the edirol.  i'm thinking of maybe an iriver of some kind ... but i'll post about that separately.

thanks for weighing in.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com