Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09 Internal Mics Adequate for Speech Recording?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
R-09 Internal Mics Adequate for Speech Recording?
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:17:06 AM »
The wife is going on a trip with her dad to see some family & wants to record their family history stories while there.  It's a weekend when I have shows to see, so I can't send her with my rig.  Looking to get something simple for her to use.  Figure I could get an external mic > batt box > recorder type setup, or just get a R-09 since it's got internal mics.  Ever tried using the internal mics for recording conversations?  Seems like it would be small enough for travel & easy for her to setup/use.  Anyone with real world expererience?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline amfortas2006

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: R-09 Internal Mics Adequate for Speech Recording?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:47:42 AM »
Sure its good enough with internal mics.

Or take a Zoom H2, thats less on the pocket, and still very good quality for that application...

:coolguy:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:49:26 AM by amfortas2006 »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »
Hadn't seen the Zoom H2 before.  Looks like a neat little device.  I realize the R-09 is a bit more, but figured I could add it to my taping arsenal after she's done with it.  Would make a nice little package running DPA's > Aerco > R-09  8)
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »
A friend recently demo'd my r09 for that same application and he was very impressed with the sound quality of the internal mics.

The r09 will also work great behind your aerco, where I doubt the H2 would do as well.

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
the R-09 internal's will be MORE than perfect for this... i often stealth record my friends sometimes just us chatting and have some GREAT results... the R-09 internal mics are great I think... and its an awesome back up unit as you say... buy it man...  :)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 09:46:10 PM »
I'd personally get a set of cheap stealth lavs/omnis like from sound pros to use for any sort of sit-down interviewing -- you can get a cheap pair with two lavs wired to mini for probably under $50, and the interview will sound WAY better then just using the internals IMHO.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »
He is not doing a BBC interwiev, so external mics only for speech are a bit too much if you ask me, no matter how cheap they are (altough I appreciate your streaming towards higher spheres).
The Zoom sounds more then good enough with the internal mics...

If you wanna keep the r-9 for your collection, that would kill two bugs with one swish!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:12:31 PM by amfortas2006 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com