Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8  (Read 126568 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Zoom F8
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2015, 06:47:02 PM »
Below is the Philly Dead and company show I recorded with the Zoom F8. I will edit my SD 722 version soon for the comparison.

https://archive.org/details/DC2015-11-05.telefunken.ela.m.260.banaszewski.9624.flac

Dead and Company
Thursday November 5, 2015
Well's Fargo Center
Philadelphia, PA

Source: Telefunken ELA M 260 cardioid TK60> Sound Devices 722 (pass through)>Zoom F8

Recorded at 96kHz 24 bit

Notes:

Conducted an experiment by sending the signal heard by the 722 through to the Zoom F8 to compare the two recorders. 
Recorded from the back left corner of the floor by the taper section.  Thanks to J and P for coming with me to these shows!

So just to be clear, this is just going line into the F8, and not utilizing the Mic Preamps in the F8? So bassically the 722 and the F8 should sound nearly identical or the F8 should sound like the flavor of the 722?
I'd be curious in a comp of the mic Preamp flavorings.   Unless you can get another set of the same ELA M 260's it would be difficult to do a side by side comp, while they would be different songs a set 1 and set 2 could suffice.
Maybe someone could to a similar comp with schoeps or neumans , the same mics in the same stereo pattern (array) NOS, DIN, ORTF whatever... on the same stand...

thanks
--Ian

Ian.  If you go into section 2 of my F8 review, I've included some links to some F8 samples.  One of the samples is a comp of schoeps mics through a Psp3 and then into the zoom F8.  The other is the same setup recording the same music straight into the F8 without the psp3 in the chain.  Since i have four m934b mics these were done simultaneously from the same Mic stand... One pair something like four inches above the other.
I seem to have missed you link of your review, would love to check it out. Is it in this thread? I spent some tim looking but must have missed it. can you either PM me the link or better yet post it here?
Thank you in advance.
--Ian

Look down three threads from this one.  It's called 'Zoom F8 Review'.   :cheers:

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #376 on: November 10, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »

Look down three threads from this one.  It's called 'Zoom F8 Review'.   :cheers:

D'Oh!
found it...
thanks it's an amazing overview/review!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #377 on: November 10, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »
Below is the Philly Dead and company show I recorded with the Zoom F8. I will edit my SD 722 version soon for the comparison.

https://archive.org/details/DC2015-11-05.telefunken.ela.m.260.banaszewski.9624.flac

Dead and Company
Thursday November 5, 2015
Well's Fargo Center
Philadelphia, PA

Source: Telefunken ELA M 260 cardioid TK60> Sound Devices 722 (pass through)>Zoom F8

Recorded at 96kHz 24 bit

Notes:

Conducted an experiment by sending the signal heard by the 722 through to the Zoom F8 to compare the two recorders. 
Recorded from the back left corner of the floor by the taper section.  Thanks to J and P for coming with me to these shows!

So just to be clear, this is just going line into the F8, and not utilizing the Mic Preamps in the F8? So bassically the 722 and the F8 should sound nearly identical or the F8 should sound like the flavor of the 722?
I'd be curious in a comp of the mic Preamp flavorings.   Unless you can get another set of the same ELA M 260's it would be difficult to do a side by side comp, while they would be different songs a set 1 and set 2 could suffice.
Maybe someone could to a similar comp with schoeps or neumans , the same mics in the same stereo pattern (array) NOS, DIN, ORTF whatever... on the same stand...

thanks
--Ian

The F8 came with miniXLR to regular XLR cables. I went from the main outs on the SD722 to chanells 1 and 2 on the Zoom F8.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2015, 09:09:36 PM »
Fwiw - you can run splitters directly after your mics and into your preamps w/o issues - this will give you a true pre-amp and AD comparison

Just make sure only one pre-amp is providing phantom power (if you are running phantom powered mics - which the m260's are not)

For the 260's run the splitters after the ps

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:11:11 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #379 on: November 11, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »
I figured out that you can turn the phantom power on through the app, gotta press the pfl buttons for the channel and you can adjust the limiters, hpf, etc from there.

^ listened to your recording today, really like the mic's :cheers!

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #380 on: November 11, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
Fwiw - you can run splitters directly after your mics and into your preamps w/o issues - this will give you a true pre-amp and AD comparison

Just make sure only one pre-amp is providing phantom power (if you are running phantom powered mics - which the m260's are not)

For the 260's run the splitters after the ps

How much harder are they to make than normal XLRs. I have made some 15 ft right angled for my various mics, but haven't tried splitters yet. I do have varying assortments of cables left.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #381 on: November 11, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »
I figured out that you can turn the phantom power on through the app, gotta press the pfl buttons for the channel and you can adjust the limiters, hpf, etc from there.

^ listened to your recording today, really like the mic's :cheers!

Thanks!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #382 on: November 11, 2015, 08:00:33 PM »
It's trivial to make splitter cables - just make a 6" set - 1F XLR-3 ---> 2xM XLR-3 - you just use two cables into the female and one into each male

I saw a F8 today at CCW in NYC and it is very small - smaller then a 7xx series for sure - there was a 702 in the display case besides the F8

Other then the lack of Digital inputs and the fact you have to use 1/4" jacks for line inputs the unit looks like a real winner - both these draw backs aren't deal breakers though

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Ukiah Bass

• Taperssection Newbie
    • The Stormy Weathermen
« Reply #383 on: November 17, 2015, 11:18:11 AM »
Just pre-ordered an F8.  If it works out, the unit will replace my Zoom H6. I've used it as a six-input recording device for more than two years.  Primary use is recording my band on location.

This is what I've achieved with the H6.  If the F8 preamps are as good as some have said here, and with eight inputs, I'll be a happy camper!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMCqGyBT7Ew

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #384 on: November 23, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »
Sitting here in Disney directly behind the board DFC waiting for the Beauty & the Beast show I received shipping notice that my F8 has finally shipped, sweet!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #385 on: November 23, 2015, 12:03:01 PM »
Just received mine and running tomorrow night. Will report back. Initial report: Wow, it is really small, and really easy to use...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #386 on: November 23, 2015, 11:57:16 PM »
Initial impressions (much less detailed than Steve's, but hey):

Unit is small, light, and well-built. The screen is super-bright and easy to read. Everything on the unit generally works in a logical and simple way. Buttons have a stable and confidence-building feel. It's noticeably smaller and lighter than SD units, and about the same size as an R-44, though it feels much more rugged.

Bluetooth was the key selling point for me, and the controls did not disappoint. I set levels using it on an iPhone 6S and had no issues; you can also dial in levels more by using the 'PFL' menu and putting in the exact number of dB of amplification the channel should have. Ditto on the unit itself -- you can adjust levels with the knobs, but you an also enter the PFL menu and put it in more exactly, or do it on the main screen.

Steve is certainly correct that the level knobs are small. It felt more difficult to manually tweak than with an R-44, for example, because small movements can cause big changes and there aren't the "click" wheels that adjust the input sensitivity, which is just set at Mic for XLR connections and line for TRS (I bought some TRS extension cables Steve recommended so that my SBD feeds are line level.

It's also handy to be able to engage the limiter and actually know what it is doing. You can set the threshold at which it kicks in, which I had at the default -2dB and "soft knee." It kicked in a few times for me, because the set I was recording was a close-miked situation in a restaurant that isn't really set up for a full band rock show.

Everyone seems to have bitched about the headphone output. For me, I don't really care, as I just use the headphones to occasionally tell if something is in fact recording, not to have a great listening experience. But it is noisy. The preamps are not.

First recording is mixed down; I'll put up a link here when it's posted. Oh, and mine was non-Schoeps, so those wanting to hear other mics can get that chance... :)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #387 on: November 25, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »
Initial impressions (much less detailed than Steve's, but hey):

Unit is small, light, and well-built. The screen is super-bright and easy to read.

There is a setting in the menu of which I had tested on a bright sunny morning during test recording for an engine Sound Effect.  You can switch the visual screen for indoor and outdoor applications, of which this came in hand and worked like a charm...no need to place my hand over the screen to see the levels.  Just thought I would add, in case it had not been noted?
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #388 on: November 25, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »
Just got an email from b&h saying theses were in stock in case anyone is thinking of ordering one

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #389 on: November 27, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
I finally have mine as well. Initial impressions are that I finally have a deck with excellent metering, wow, it's perfect IMO. I was also surprised by the size, even though I saw pics & watched the videos until it was in my hands I didn't think it would be this small. Overall I'm very impressed. I'm running it tomorrow night for JRAD with the tubes, C34 & maybe the HO's, I'm running without external preamps so I can get a feel for the deck & internal preamps.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com