Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archos Gmini 120  (Read 69460 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re:Archos Gmini 120
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 07:31:26 PM »
well, I spoke to a guy from their tech support...

the good news:
it seems like this would be a great DAT replacement.  He told me that, while it cannot do 24/96, it does not have a file size limit, it does not resample the S/PDIF input, the internal battery should last 5 to 6 hours for recording.  all of this seems promising.

the bad news:
the guy I spoke with didn't seem to be the smartest person in the world (in fact, he didn't sound too bright at all).  Each question I asked him, he didn't know the answer right away.  He put me on hold to look it up, but he did get back to me within 30 seconds to a minute after puting me on hold.

so the question is, is everything they told me the truth.  there's some testing to be done.  several major retail stores carry this, so I'm sure I'll be able to find one locally (in Boston).  I'm planning to go pick one up in the next few days, and begin testing it.  This will also give me time to solder an S/PDIF cable with a right-angle RCA to come out of the V3, and an 1/8th inch mini plug on the other.  I'll be running my D8 out of the V3's AES, to have a basis for comparison.

I'll be sure to post here with any more good (or bad) news.

and if anyone else wants to start testing this device, feel free :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004, 07:55:30 PM »
Jason - good stuff, thanks for keeping us updated.  And man, is that thing *small* - I like it!  As for the guy with whom you spoke, at least he spent the time to find the answers instead of blathering on while not actually knowing just so he could get off the phone and/or shut you up.

I wonder, though:

[1] 5-6 hr battery time - numbers from the manufacturers always seem ludicrously inflated with respect to real-life usage; but, it looks like it can be powered externally, am curious about the VDC requirements and current draw

[2] no filesize limit - I'm betting this is correct for files copied onto the device, but I bet while recording there's a limit

Keep us posted and thanks for doing the legwork on this one!  I'd test myself, but I'm locked into the JB3 route for the moment.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2004, 08:12:20 PM »
he first told me that the battery life is normally over 10 hours, and when I asked him about continuous recording for long periods of time, that's when he said 5 to 6 hours.

and as for the filesize, well, after he told me that there was no limit, I specifically asked him "so, I could record to a .wav file for 3 or 4 hours with no stopping" (obviously not verbatim, but more or less that question)  and he told me it wouldn't be a problem.  we'll see.  I almost ran out to a few stores as soon as I got off the phone with him, but then I remembered I had to get a few things done before I went out tonight :)  hopefully I'll find the time to pick one up in the next couple of days...

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 02:02:02 PM »
any news from Archos on level meters?
I am really interested in the unlimted file size limits....
Been using my Iriver 120 that only has 75 min file size, annd while I don't leave my stuff unattended, it's still a little bit of a hassel to wonder if you're missing any of the show........
?>FR2LE

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 04:43:48 PM »
you know, I never asked about level meters.  I'm planning on using mine with my V3, which has great meters, so level meters aren't really a concern of mine.  

the first store I went to didn't have any in stock, I'm planning on checking out a couple other major retailers around here, and if I can't find one locally, then I'll buy online.

Today, I also received an answer email to my initial questions.  here is the emai lthey sent me:

(1) We only support the SPDIF RCA connector type. Our unit doesn't support optical digital.

(2) Here are some specs might helps:
The unit will record into WAV(PCM) format, the quality will depends on the source using:

If the source is set to 'Mic' (built-in microphone), it will record the WAV into 352kb/s @ 22.0kHz.
If the source is set to 'Line-in' or 'SPDIF', it will record the WAV into 1411kb/s @ 44.1kHz.

When record into MP3(CBR) format, the quality will depends on the source using as well:
If the source is set to 'Mic' (built-in microphone), you can set the 'mic birate' to 16kb/s, 64kb/s, 96kb/s, 112kb/s with all @ 22.0kHz.
If the source is set to 'Line-in' or 'SPDIF', you can set the 'Line-in & FM radio bitrate' to 32kb/s, 96kb/s, 128kb/s, 192kb/s with all @ 44.1kHz.

(3) We belief it will resample the signal and write them to WAV (PCM) format.

(4) No, there's no any file limitation. And it's easy to start a new recording.

there are many things in this email that don't sound too good.  their answer #3 is in response to whether or not it resamples all digital input.  there answer doesn't really make any sense, so I'm not going to discount this thing until I test it for myself.  too bad that they don't have some knowledgable folks over there.  oh well.  

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 04:48:11 PM »
you know, I never asked about level meters.  I'm planning on using mine with my V3, which has great meters, so level meters aren't really a concern of mine.  

the first store I went to didn't have any in stock, I'm planning on checking out a couple other major retailers around here, and if I can't find one locally, then I'll buy online.

Today, I also received an answer email to my initial questions.  here is the emai lthey sent me:

(1) We only support the SPDIF RCA connector type. Our unit doesn't support optical digital.

(2) Here are some specs might helps:
The unit will record into WAV(PCM) format, the quality will depends on the source using:

If the source is set to 'Mic' (built-in microphone), it will record the WAV into 352kb/s @ 22.0kHz.
If the source is set to 'Line-in' or 'SPDIF', it will record the WAV into 1411kb/s @ 44.1kHz.

When record into MP3(CBR) format, the quality will depends on the source using as well:
If the source is set to 'Mic' (built-in microphone), you can set the 'mic birate' to 16kb/s, 64kb/s, 96kb/s, 112kb/s with all @ 22.0kHz.
If the source is set to 'Line-in' or 'SPDIF', you can set the 'Line-in & FM radio bitrate' to 32kb/s, 96kb/s, 128kb/s, 192kb/s with all @ 44.1kHz.

(3) We belief it will resample the signal and write them to WAV (PCM) format.

(4) No, there's no any file limitation. And it's easy to start a new recording.

there are many things in this email that don't sound too good.  their answer #3 is in response to whether or not it resamples all digital input.  there answer doesn't really make any sense, so I'm not going to discount this thing until I test it for myself.  too bad that they don't have some knowledgable folks over there.  oh well.  

If you really want quality answers, IMO you'll have to call them and deal with the BS of bumping up 2-3 levels in the support hierarchy before you can find someone competent.  Even then, it's a crap shoot, though you have better odds.  And, of course, you'll want to confirm with your own testing.  Thanks for keeping us posted, keep up the good work...

As for this:

will record the WAV into 1411kb/s @ 44.1kHz

What is the bit-rate for WAV, anyway?  Is it even an applicable measurement?  I'm clueless...
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 09:39:08 PM »
If you really want quality answers, IMO you'll have to call them and deal with the BS of bumping up 2-3 levels in the support hierarchy before you can find someone competent.  Even then, it's a crap shoot, though you have better odds.
unfortunately, I don't have time for that BS.  I figure, for $250, I can buy it, test it myself, and worse case scenario, it doesn't work well for recording, and I either use it as an .mp3 player (or, in my case, a .wav player), as I've been thinking about getting one to use on the subway anyway...

What is the bit-rate for WAV, anyway?  Is it even an applicable measurement?  I'm clueless...
I've never heard anyone ever use a bit-rate when talking about .wav files.  that was one of the reasons that lead me to believe that the tech person who answered didn't really have any idea what he (or she) was talking about.

once I get my hands on it, and do some testing, I'll let you all know...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 10:41:00 PM »
>>so, I could record to a .wav file for 3 or 4 hours with no stopping" (obviously not verbatim, but more or less that question)  and he told me it wouldn't be a problem<<

well, the wav format has a limitation at just a bit over 3 hours when i hits 2 GB.  so if it records in wav, the only way to NOT have a limit is if the unit starts a new file on the fly at 2GB.  doubt that's the case.  so i'm thinking 2 GB limit

Offline chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 02:40:17 AM »
worst case scenario, you could always take it back.  i bought a jb3 from circuit city when they first came out, used it for a couple weeks then took it back, no questions asked.  i think it was $400 at the time.  if i had the $ to throw around right now i would go test one too.  i say this as motivation to any others who are willing to test it.  :)

zowie

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2004, 02:44:02 AM »

will record the WAV into 1411kb/s @ 44.1kHz

(Depth) x (rate) x (tracks).

16 x 44.1 x 2 = 1411

zowie

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2004, 03:14:53 AM »
Reviews at Circuit City site complain that battery life was less than half of advertised, and it seems to be of the non-removeable type.  So powering this thing may be a major issue.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2004, 06:28:51 AM »
yeah, it is a non-removable battery.  it also says it takes 5VDC in.  when I get it, I'll also test the output of the ac/dc wallwart, to see what voltage that actually outputs.  with any luck, it's be closer to 6 and the thing will run off of my 6V SLA.  we'll see how it all works out.

and I ordered one online, for a total of $218 after shipping.  it should arrive next monday or tuesday, and the testing will begin :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 06:36:16 AM by JasonSobel »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2004, 09:02:25 AM »
+T for testing!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 11:30:57 AM »
right on...as for power, I have a really nice little PDA battery back up that has selectable vlotage outputs, and supposedly can kick out 5V for 8+ hrs...very small and perfect for my IRIVER,or this ARCHOS..
Hell I may go buy one to play with,,,as was said, you can always take it back........
?>FR2LE

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2004, 11:31:30 AM »

(Depth) x (rate) x (tracks).

16 x 44.1 x 2 = 1411

Learn something new every day.  Thanks, Zowie.   :)

Another external power option, Jason, in case 6v doesn't work: RC battery pack with a 5v voltage regulator.  Smaller and lighter than an SLA, as well.
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com