Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R1 and CF....  (Read 1580 times)

Offline smat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
R1 and CF....
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:50:37 PM »
I was under the impression that 3 hrs of 44.1 wav is about a gig of space.....as it is on my pc.  I'm hearing from users that a 2 gig card will record for 2 hrs and 12 min??  ........So I need a 4 gig card to cover shows........especially shows that might have a set lasting 2.5 hrs??  Im a little confused and maybe I'm not understanding the whole bit/space ratio thing.  Can someone shed some light on this for me? 
Also....Is Ultra II sufficient or is it better to go with the extreme III flash media?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: R1 and CF....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:29:58 PM »
24-bit / 44.1 kHz audio takes up about 7.6 MB per track-minute.  We record in stereo, so that's two tracks, or 15.2 MB / minute.  That's about 912 MB / hr.  So, a 2GB CF card will hold a little over 2 hrs of 2-channel audio at 24/44.

Not sure how you're getting 1 GB of space = 3 hrs of 44.1 kHz audio (at what bit-depth?).  I thought maybe you were talking about 16-bit audio, but the math doesn't work for that, either:  1 hr of 2-ch audio is ~600 MB, so 3 hours of 16/44 would be roughly 2GB.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline smat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »
I thnk I miscalculated cause I'm used to having shows on my hd in flac which is about a gig per show.  So then I'd wanna get a 4 gig card to be safe in case I'm taping a show that is 3.5 or 4 hrs I guess.  Is Ultra II (sandisc) the standard?  Any advantage to getting the Ultra III?

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »
I thnk I miscalculated cause I'm used to having shows on my hd in flac which is about a gig per show.  So then I'd wanna get a 4 gig card to be safe in case I'm taping a show that is 3.5 or 4 hrs I guess.  Is Ultra II (sandisc) the standard?  Any advantage to getting the Ultra III?

ultra II pretty much the standard now, yeah, especially now that the prices have come down so far, so fast!

haven't seen the specs on the ultra III, but i'm sure it's a wee bit faster than the II.  i've not had a single issue with the ultra II, so i'm not looking for anything faster!

Offline Mindflayer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »
with an R1 at 16/44 you will get over 3 hours with a 2 gig card. i do it all the time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com