Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to best use the Sony ECM-717 mic (and/or user's experiences)...?  (Read 13049 times)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: How to best use the Sony ECM-717 mic (and/or user's experiences)...?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 11:58:08 AM »
Sorry to hijack but I have a small question...

I have Batt-Box and a Sony MZ-RH910.

If I go line-in I assume that it'll be quiet, BUT...

If I go Batt Box > Line-in will it be louder??

I have yet to test this all out (will do next week) but I'd like to know becasue I had to boost some of my recordings a while back (when I didnt have a batt box) and obviously its better to not have to boost it too much.

Cheers,
Simon.

P.S. oh by the way, I'm testing Chris's Church audio Cardioids with this set-up  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Bart.VL71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 06:33:24 PM »
It will be much louder.

Offline mysterymadman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 07:48:56 AM »
Hiya all,

Well, live and learn, experiment and improve...:)

I did just that since I started this thread, and lo and behold: I think I've got it worked out to my satisfaction (yes, I realise that the actual show will have different sound conditions, so I'll still have to fiddle around with the levels etc., but at least the approach that tends to give best results for me is clear).

For the classroom rehearsals, I find the best results are obtained using the powered mic jack, with the recorder's sensitivity set to low and the levels manually set to the maximum. That way, the overall volume seems to be around the sixth bar (on a scale from 0-10, where 7 is about recommended), and only the drums tend to peak over that substantially. These, however, do not really seem to get clipped, and the dynamic range of the rest of the instruments sounds very pleasing to me.

Last Monday I have recorded the practice rehearsals again, and even in raw format they sound pretty good to me. I've sampled them into the PC using two strategies, being:
1) 'Soft' sampling (i.e. making sure all drum peaks fall just within the regular scale, and hence no clipping on the sampling side occurs). I applied Audacity's 'normalisation' filter to it, such that the end result is better evened out. Sounds pretty darn good to me. For a sample (check out the guitar player, and note that this is just an 18 year old kid!), check: http://www.millennics.com/test/ritfw_soft.tar.gz
2) 'Loud' sampling (i.e. making sure the overall volume is better spread over the regular scale, at the expense of several drum peaks falling out of it). I found this doesn't sound very clipped, and I applied a 'soft limiter' (i.e. Audacity's "compression" filter) to it. the judges are still out on which of the two works better, but I kinda prefer this one. For a sample, check: http://www.millennics.com/test/ritfw_hard.tar.gz

NOTE: both downloads are around 60MB in size, so if you have a slow connection, you may not want to download them...

Especially the latter shows a very nicely even balanced spectrum over all the frequencies in my stereo's spectrum analyser.

Now, I'm hoping that at the Iron Maiden show the drums are better in balance with the overall volume of the other instruments, such that the inbalance between the two of those is less than at these practice rehearsals. If so, and if we can get good recording spots, I have good hope that the recordings will be coming out pretty well...:)

Cheerz,
MM
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:51:41 AM by mysterymadman »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com