Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3  (Read 105717 times)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »
It's $1100 for a new unit with a mod on all 6 channels or $300 for the mod to all 6 and you supply the unit.
  ;) OK, gotcha.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2011, 02:43:43 AM »
It's $1100 for a new unit with a mod on all 6 channels or $300 for the mod to all 6 and you supply the unit.
  ;) OK, gotcha.

;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline resonate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How to change take file numbers on this machine?
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
Hello, i bought the DR-680 recently and I'm going to use it in my bag for upcoming documentary project. I searched long and hard and still cannot figure out how to reset the take number on this device. Seems that Tascam will remember last take number, for example let's say you set USER1 string as BOWIE1 - then the recorder should name tracks BOWIE1-000,001, etc. The way my unit behaves is it remebers last number and even when you change the user string to date or something else, it will still start from the last take number it had worked with. So whenever i start a new project i have to start with the last take for example 257? It happens even when i create new project folder. Is there something i am missing? There are some mystery files on SD card, tascam.sys and tascam.tak that seem to hold that data, but after reformatting the card the number is still in memory! Thanks in advance, Bartosz.

Offline choros

• Taperssection Newbie
external A/D preamp-SPDIF In-ULN-2>DR-680-How?
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »
Hi,
Great forum! First post. I've been reading all the threads on the DR-680 here and everywhere. So, I bought one last week to use as a bit bucket for my Metric Halo ULN-2 so I don't have to carry a noisy fanned Macbook on location for classical recording. I've posted this issue I'm having over on GearSlutz too. I'm hoping that this is user error and I can get these two to work. I have a week before I can send the DR-680 back.

I can't get the DR-680 and the ULN-2 to lock via SPDIF. I keep getting a "DIN UNLOCK" message when I press Pause to enable Recording. I've set and saved the Snapshot 2 State of the ULN-2 to:

Clock Source-Internal
Sample Rate-48000
WC Out-1x FS
DI Source-S/PDIF
DI SRC-not highlighted

DR-680 is set to:

I/O
INPUT SEL - DIGITAL
A. OUT SEL - DIRECT
D. OUT MODE - SPDIF

REC
FORMAT - WAV 24 bit
SAMPLE - 48 kHz
FILE - STEREO
TRACK - (all tracks 1-6 and ST are in listed in dark blocks. I can't select anything here)
ST REC - MIX

I've unplugged the ULN-2, and with the DR-680 off, hooked up the SPDIF cable then plugged ULN-2 in and switched to Snapshot to 2 on the front. I then power on the DR-680. I've made sure the DR-680 is set to same sample rate. I've also set the DR-680 to 24bit and set the Digital In to SPDIF on the DR-680 enabling tracks 5&6 to record the SPDIF signal.

Is there something obvious that i'm missing regarding the ULN-2 Snapshot? Perhaps the clock? I don't understand anything about clocking or if the DR-680 is supposed to clock off of what's coming in. Can't find it in the manual - no mention of clocking.
I have the SPDIF cable coming from the ULN-2 RCA Out to the DR-680 RCA In. Do I need to get another SPDIF Cable to connect from the DR-680 Out to the ULN-2 In as well? Should I set the ULN-2 clock differently?

Thanks for any more help or suggestions.

Jay

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Choosing an SD card for a 680
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »
I've searched here and read the compatibility list here:
http://tascam.com/product/dr-680/downloads/

I'm still unsure of the minimum class rating that works with, say 8 tracks of 96/24 audio.
I'm assuming that (or 192) would be the "acid-test" of class compatibility.
I'll probably go with 32gb cards, but class 10's of those get pretty pricey.
So . . .
How "low-class" can I go?
Is there any down side of using 32gb cards over several 16gb cards? (other than switching cards)

All of my work has been done on CF cards so the 680 and SD will be unexplored territory for me.

Thanks for the advice,
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Choosing an SD card for a 680
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2011, 10:42:46 AM »
I've searched here and read the compatibility list here:
http://tascam.com/product/dr-680/downloads/

I'm still unsure of the minimum class rating that works with, say 8 tracks of 96/24 audio.
I'm assuming that (or 192) would be the "acid-test" of class compatibility.
I'll probably go with 32gb cards, but class 10's of those get pretty pricey.
So . . .
How "low-class" can I go?
Is there any down side of using 32gb cards over several 16gb cards? (other than switching cards)

All of my work has been done on CF cards so the 680 and SD will be unexplored territory for me.

Thanks for the advice,
Dave
I have 2 16 GB cards both class 4 and they work fine. One is a Lexar Platinum II 16 GB SDHC card and other one is a scandisk 16 GB SDHC class 4. Recently bought a Kingston 32GB SDHC Memory Card   * Class 4 Rating. Heard you can go as low as class 4 and don't have to have the class 10.

I almost filled a 16 GB card at 2,5 hours of a show and was nervous that it would fill the card bfore teh set was done. Remember each 2 channels is 1 GB for 37 minutes at 24/96 and then mulitple that by many channels and you burn thru disc space like crazy. Having 2 cards if something goes wrong with one card you have data on the other card. Failure with one card no back up you SOL.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:44:46 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

kirk97132

« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
Right class 4 I believe it is the manual somewhere.  Out of the mix of class 4, 6 & 10 cards including some cheaper brands the 680 has not had an issue with any of them.   I think the 32's are still a little spendy.   I run 24/48 and that give you bout 4 hours on a 16GB card.  At that setting I don't have to worry about a long set.  And if it's a two set show then depending on 1st set length I can swap them out if needed.  If I wanted to run 24/96, I would use the 32 GB cards so you would have basically the same 4 hours on a card.  That is using all 8 tracks too.  Less tracks = more space

Offline choros

• Taperssection Newbie
ULN-2>DR-680 WORKING NOW!
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »
Below is some of my latest update from another forum. I thought I should update here in case anyone wants to use a Metric Halo ULN-2 with the DR-680 - They can!  ;D

UPDATE! I've got 44.1k, 48k, AND 96K working no problems now! I'm VERY excited about this! I can also switch sample rates at will without being hooked up to my macbook or powering down either device etc. All I have to do now is have two SPDIF cables hooked up - so that, I guess, each device is communicating each way with each other. I want to have both cables hooked up anyway because I've routed and made my Snapshot States in the Metric Halo MIO Console- one for each sample rate - so that I can monitor and playback through my ULN-2 (or both devices at the same time, if I want, for a total of two headphone outs on location - sans MacBook). DELIGHTFUL!

Anyway, it wasn't always like this for some reason. I guess each device just had to get to know each other better - and me them. Now we all know and like each other just fine and are getting along wonderfully!!

Thanks,

Jay
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:00:52 PM by choros »

Offline choros

• Taperssection Newbie
SD Card
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
I have this SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC Card (SDSDRH-032G-A11) It's Class 4 and working no problems with 2 tracks at 96k. I haven't tried 192k or any more tracks yet. It's only around $60.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563180-REG/SanDisk_SDSDRH_032G_A11_32GB_Ultra_SDHC_Memory.html
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-32GB-SDHC-SDSDRH-032G-A11/dp/B00194101O

Jay

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: ULN-2>DR-680 WORKING NOW!
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
Below is some of my latest update from another forum. I thought I should update here in case anyone wants to use a Metric Halo ULN-2 with the DR-680 - They can!  ;D

UPDATE! I've got 44.1k, 48k, AND 96K working no problems now! I'm VERY excited about this! I can also switch sample rates at will without being hooked up to my macbook or powering down either device etc. All I have to do now is have two SPDIF cables hooked up - so that, I guess, each device is communicating each way with each other. I want to have both cables hooked up anyway because I've routed and made my Snapshot States in the Metric Halo MIO Console- one for each sample rate - so that I can monitor and playback through my ULN-2 (or both devices at the same time, if I want, for a total of two headphone outs on location - sans MacBook). DELIGHTFUL!

Anyway, it wasn't always like this for some reason. I guess each device just had to get to know each other better - and me them. Now we all know and like each other just fine and are getting along wonderfully!!

Thanks,

Jay
Thanks for the report jay! WOuld not of thought to connect a 2nd SPIDF cable. WAY TO GO!

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »
Here is my first recording using the Tascam DR-680. It was a SBD feed.
http://www.archive.org/details/TB2011-02-25

SBD feed -> RCA cables ->
RCA -> XLR converter -> Tascam DR-680

I ran the SBD feed into the tascam Channel 5&6 as digital with SPIDF cable and all worked fine. I also ran on stage mics but they were too close to the drum kit and I did not use that recording for this upload. The mic were run into channels 1&2 analog and I ran that into the stereo mix. There was a warm up band so I got the mix with a decent sound.

I was shocked on how good the SBD feed sounded. Joel is Thunder body sound guy and he had the sound pegged that night. Gave it to the band and they were happy!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:28:50 PM by phil_er_up »

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »
I ran the 680 last night for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to operate. my buddy Hummat here in new orleans gave me rundown in the afternoon and I ran all 8 channels last night at the Maple Leaf.

here were the 8 channels I ran:

Organ, Keyboard, Keybass, leslie cabinet - subgroup
Bass
Guitar
Sax
Drum subgroup
Vocals
onstage omni
onstage omni

kirk97132

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
I ran the 680 last night for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to operate. my buddy Hummat here in new orleans gave me rundown in the afternoon and I ran all 8 channels last night at the Maple Leaf.

here were the 8 channels I ran:

Organ, Keyboard, Keybass, leslie cabinet - subgroup
Bass
Guitar
Sax
Drum subgroup
Vocals
onstage omni
onstage omni

Oh your screwed now with Jay's help >:D   Cool deal.  All you need now is  a USBpre2 in the mix you sync the clocks to each others decks and not lose the digi channels and run 16 channels.   Ask him him about the NYE shows, I'd recommend not taping with Martini's ::)   He'll explain.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
Joining the team.  Due to arrive tomorrow.  Plan to run it for Springfest next week and use the channel ganging feature to match gain on 4 channels for the Tetramic + SBD on 5 & 6.  I'll probably run the R-44 as well for omni outriggers (and for redundancy options) rather than trying to tackle 8 channels with digital in.

I stopped actively following the DR-680 threads last fall so I have some reading to do, but have quick question if I may..

I'll be building a power cable for DVD batteries this weekend. Am I correct in reading from DR-680 battery options thread that the external power jack takes a Radio Shack 'size M' plug, tip positive? Anything else critical that I should know? 

Planning on using several Trancend 32GB class 10 cards, but also have Kingstons as backup if needed.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »
Type "M"  I prefer right angle style over the straight.  The digi in is simple.  Warning: the default display shows mix on 7 & 8 you MUST go in and set it manually for "DIN MON" (digital monitor)  one of the things they screwed up in the updates.  it will not hold the DIN setting after power down.  Have fun.   Oh and @ 24 bit aim for the line on the display.  it works out great

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com