Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stupid LAMA question  (Read 2074 times)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Stupid LAMA question
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:11:54 AM »
OK I did search for this and maybe I didn't try hard enough.
I am well aware of the fact that I want to put my stuff on LMA not open source.
I missed one of the items which would have put my stuff into LMA. I thought choosing LMA once would be enough I guess. Is there a way to switch my upload from Open Source Audio to LMA or do I have to start over? If I have to do it again the item will have to wait at least another week before I have time to upload it.
Thanks
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: Stupid LAMA question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 06:40:14 AM »
Can't do it yourself, but PM me with the link and I can move it for you, no problem.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:51:40 PM »
Thanks much. Other than that glitch, the new interface was pretty amazing. Keep up the good work.

Another LMA question, perhaps less stupid: It seems like for a band's side projects that they could all be kept under the main band heading if the band's policy applied to side projects. The problem is, it ends up looking like a show of the band and not the side project. The alternative is to wait for the side project to be independently identified and confirmed. The example that brings this up is Adam and Ben from Yonder. I assume they are just as fine with uploading as Yonder or Jeff Austin and Friends. Do we really have to wait every time a band plays yet another sub-pairing of members? It would be cool to be able to click on Yonder and have all side projects show as well.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »
It's up to the individual artists how they want to handle things. In general, we try to make judgment calls and be as hands-off with them as possible, so as not to pester them with every little question that comes up. Some bands are very specific about what's allowed and what's not, which ones they want under their band heading and which ones should be broken out. Steve Wynn, for example has one collection under his name for his miscellaneous solo and side projects, one collection for Dream Syndicate, and another for Gutterball. Other artist just give a blanket "go for it" as permission, and we pile everything under their name.

In most circumstances, we'd prefer that contact with the artist about questions like this go through someone who's more connected with the band, rather than coming from an LMA admin, because they don't know us from a hole in the ground. :)

There's really no way to have "named" sub-projects within a band's area because of how the metadata is used to render the page display - if a show is part of the YMSB collection, it'll say "Yonder Mountain String Band Live at..." in the title even if it's not strictly YMSB, because the band name is pulled from the "creator" field that's locked in when you choose the band name from the drop-down menu.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 02:08:49 PM »
So I have to get permission from Ben, Adam, and Darrol to get a new category added? Seems hardly worth the trouble. I already have the recording. >:D

I figured that was the case. I guess I was suggesting for the future if you guys are just bored or for the next generation browser to be able to put it under Yonder without it saying "YMSB Live at..."

Or perhaps with bands that have blanket sub-project permission we could create a "Yonder Related" category (or Cheese related, or Dead related, etc.). It would come up "Cheese Related Band Live at..." and you would just have to read farther to find out what it is.

Oh well.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
You're making a good point but I don't think databases would understand your logic like humans.  ;D

Besides "yonder related" could be subjective and people may think "sounds like yonder". If you're uploading or downloading from LMA, chances are you have a broadband connection so it shouldn't take too much longer to search for it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 04:09:43 PM »
Can't do it yourself, but PM me with the link and I can move it for you, no problem.

I had the same problem. I pm'd you with a link also. Thanks!
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com