Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery box problem ?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Battery box problem ?
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
I have never used a battery box with any of my recordings. Taped many shows with Church Ca-11's plugged into Mic. input on my Sony PCM-D50 recorder and all seemed to come out fine. I had battery box that I had bought awhile back and attempted to use this as added power to mic.
Problem is when I use battery box I only have one channel. Doesn't matter if using line in or mic still only one channel. It's not the cord or connections,all checked out. Bad Box?
I'm getting Church Ca-14's. As Sony recorder says will power mics. how important is it to use battery box ?
Thanks for any help

Offline rhinowing

• Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: Battery box problem ?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
what's the model of the box?
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline daze

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
does your battery box have bass rolloff?  if so check the bass rolloff settings, if all the switches on one channel or clicked to open that could be the cause of your problem

Offline in2blues

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:39:10 AM »
I bought the Battery box from Church, same as mics. I have had this for over year and never used it. Just has input and output on box. Everything I have bought from Church has been the HIGHEST quality so I'm having doubt as to whether box is defective or more likely the taper(me).
As I have a show coming up soon so until I figure out problem
 "Do I really need to use battery box with Sony PCM-D50 card recorder?"

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:33:29 PM »
Must be the box if there are no switches that could be set wrong. Everyone makes a mistake once in a while, even Chris. If so, he will make things right.

You'll need the box to run CA-14's optimally through the D50 unless it provides 5 volts of plug in power. I'm pretty sure it doesn't, especially since it will power Sonic Studios DSM mics perfectly according to guysonic and they require very low voltage.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline in2blues

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »
No one likes to admit they may have screwed up but...I tried the mics with battery box again and when:
1. The switch is clicked to "Mic" and not "line in."
2. The mic is plugged into the "line in" jack and not the "mic" jack. (There is a switch on one side of the recorder to switch from "line in" to "mic." On the other side of the recorder is the jacks , one for "line in" and one for "mics.")
 With this done the recording sounds great. I wish I knew why?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com