Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: good cheap way to matrix on the fly SBD + mics w/R09-HR?  (Read 9293 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: good cheap way to matrix on the fly SBD + mics w/R09-HR?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
Just get a Tascam DR2D.  200 bucks for 4 tracks with no clock drift issues like you'd get with 2 recorders.

This
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »
Just get a Tascam DR2D.  200 bucks for 4 tracks with no clock drift issues like you'd get with 2 recorders.

This

does this unit allow you to record 2 stereo Line In sources... or just 1 plus the built in Mics?

EDIT: doesn't look like it according to specs
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:28:00 PM by darby »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »

This

does this unit allow you to record 2 stereo Line In sources... or just 1 plus the built in Mics?

EDIT: doesn't look like it according to specs

Separate stereo files from the mic and line inputs.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
Just to clarify, mic INPUT as well as line input, not just internal mics.  The mic in can accept a consumer line level signal but a pro signal would need attenuation.

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
Just to clarify, mic INPUT as well as line input, not just internal mics.  The mic in can accept a consumer line level signal but a pro signal would need attenuation.

so you can basically use a Littlebox > Line In and SBD RCA Out > Mic In... how would you set levels for each?
and can you record 2 separate audio files or are you limited to the "Mix" feature?

after I sold my 680, I've been using 2 M10s to record a second source the few times I have access off the SBD
and then having to deal with the drift in post... this would be alot easier

but then again I'm very unhappy with TEAC's customer service after the 680 debacle (sorry that's another thread)

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »

so you can basically use a Littlebox > Line In and SBD RCA Out > Mic In... how would you set levels for each?
and can you record 2 separate audio files or are you limited to the "Mix" feature?

after I sold my 680, I've been using 2 M10s to record a second source the few times I have access off the SBD
and then having to deal with the drift in post... this would be alot easier

but then again I'm very unhappy with TEAC's customer service after the 680 debacle (sorry that's another thread)

It will record each source to a separate stereo file and they are both perfectly in sync.  You'll plug one source into one input and the other source into the other.

The only minor downside is the line in source can't be adjusted on the fly.  You have to set it before recording and you're stuck with that level until you stop recording.  You can record in 24 bit and set your levels a few points low and amplify in post though.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »

I would do (in fact, I do do) the reverse:  SBD>line in and Littlebox > mic in.  With Audix Micro mics and "amplified bluegrass" type shows, I have the mic in set to low sensitivity and 70 (which seems to be the same levelwise as line in at 100) and have levels on the Littlebox around noon.  Line in at 100 works for most RCA out borads, quarter inch or XLRs I find often run hotter so I's set levels at 90 and either try to get a sense of levels during sound check or put an inline attenuator there just in case.

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 11:05:02 PM »
I would do (in fact, I do do) the reverse:  SBD>line in and Littlebox > mic in.  With Audix Micro mics and "amplified bluegrass" type shows, I have the mic in set to low sensitivity and 70 (which seems to be the same levelwise as line in at 100) and have levels on the Littlebox around noon.  Line in at 100 works for most RCA out boards, quarter inch or XLRs I find often run hotter so I's set levels at 90 and either try to get a sense of levels during sound check or put an inline attenuator there just in case.
The only minor downside is the line in source can't be adjusted on the fly.  You have to set it before recording and you're stuck with that level until you stop recording.

since you can't adjust your Line In levels while recording both sources...
wouldn't it make more sense to use your Littlebox > Line In and use the gains to control your levels?
and can you monitor both sources while recording simultaneously? 

BTW... sorry Brian, for the threadjack  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:09:25 PM by darby »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
No, good Q's Darby, because Ive been wondering the exact same thing ??? :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 11:57:31 PM »
thanks for all the posting, will read it when I get a chance
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Will_S

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 12:25:59 AM »

wouldn't it make more sense to use your Littlebox > Line In and use the gains to control your levels?

I guess in many cases it might make sense to do it that way, except that a really hot board feed will be more than the mic in can handle but I've never encountered a situation where the Littlebox at minimum gain would overload it.  In general I try to set my levels right/conservatively in the first place and not mess with them during a show, so the lack of line in level adjustments when in dual recording mode is a non-issue to me.

Offline NSL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »
So with the Tascam DR2D, would it possible to do this -
CA-11 > CA-9000 > DR2D (mic in)
SBD > DR2d (line in)
To create one track mixed together?
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »

I guess in many cases it might make sense to do it that way, except that a really hot board feed will be more than the mic in can handle but I've never encountered a situation where the Littlebox at minimum gain would overload it.  In general I try to set my levels right/conservatively in the first place and not mess with them during a show, so the lack of line in level adjustments when in dual recording mode is a non-issue to me.

for an RCA out on a SBD you can set the level out with no worries and I prefer to have control over my levels

So with the Tascam DR2D, would it possible to do this -
CA-11 > CA-9000 > DR2D (mic in)
SBD > DR2d (line in)
To create one track mixed together?

I still believe it would be easier to go SBD > Mic In Low setting because you can adjust your Mic In on the unit while recording
and use your CA-9000 > Line In so you can adjust your preamp's levels because you cannot adjust your Line In on the unit while recording
that will create 2 separate stereo tracks you can then line up in post to create a matrix... not sure from your post if that's what you meant

Offline NSL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 11:15:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, that seems to be what i'm looking for.  I've never mixed sources before so that would be the only thing I really need to figure out. 
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com