Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nice Can! What cans are you using?  (Read 9462 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Nice Can! What cans are you using?
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:32 AM »

Couple of personal questions:
1) Just wondering what everyone is using these days?
2) Also was wondering if you all have multiple different pairs  for different purposes?
For example if you use a pair at the show (for monitoring) do you have yet another pair to at home (for post work, mixing, general playback
3)  What are the three most important characteristics you check off before you purchase?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

My answers are:
1) Sony MDR-V6  OLD SCHOOL
2) This is the only pair I use regularly, (casual and critical listening)
3) The very first two things that I check off in my head after physically having a pair in my presence are durability.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Nice Can! What cans are you using?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:43:22 AM »
1) Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 SV, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
2) ATs are for monitoring during recording, Beyers for playback/listening
3) Audio quality, Comfort, Durability

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
1) Denon D7000 (markl-moded and recupped)
2) Just the Denons for home listening. Used to have a set of Westone UM3X w/ custom tips for monitoring or listening in noisy environments, but I sold those.
3) Generally in order starting with most important; Speaker-like tonal balance (bonus points for a flatter response), micro detail reproduction, liquidity of sound (which eliminates most Sennheisers), comfort, meshs well with the rest of my playback gear (impedance hiss, amp requirements, etc).

If I didn't have the Denon's I'd get a pair of Audeze LCD-2 or a set of Stax.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »
1) BeyerDynamic DT-880 PRO
2) This is the only pair I use (used for some mastering tasks or latenight listening so I don't bug my neighbors)
3) Audio Quality, Comfort, Durability
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
Senn HD650 (circumaural) -home use, recreational listening, critical listening checks, post work: zero isolation, great sound, high Z.

Etymotic ER4S (in ear, w/foam plug mod for max islolation & bass) -for use requiring isolation and small portability (like location monitoring): excellent passive isolation & very good sound, lean bass, foams makes it a PITA to put them in and out frequently, high Z.

Audio Technica ATH-ANC3 (in-ear) -kept in my office for occasional day use, travel phones: active cancellation isolation, acceptable sound, not particularly flat response, quick easy in-out, low Z. (The active noise cancellation works very well. I was hoping it would work to cancel deep bass for show monitoring when used with foam plugs.  Results were really promising with very flat attenuation, but the cancellation circuit doesn't have enough headroom and clips for situations where it is really needed)

Sony MDR-V6 (circumaural) -home recoridng moitoring when isolation is required, my old go-to phones: 20+ years old with major wear on these, decent isolation, decent sound, workhourse phones.

For the record, I've not been a fan of the Grado or AKG sound as they seem too hot in the midrange or low trebble and not flat enough for my hearing response.  Never tried Denons or Beyers, love to have a set of Stax, my ultimate non-portable would be the Smyth Realizer system which includes entry level Stax.  Was personally HRTF calibrated by the developer and it blew my mind, indistinguishable from speaker sourced music in the calibration room.

Important  considerations: sound quality (flat response for my ears, detail; if open phones then also apparent depth, stage, extension, dynamics, etc), comfort, cost, specific use considerations (best isolation for monitoring, easy in-out if required, best sound quality for home phones).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
1.) Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Westone 2
2.) I don't use anything at the show.  ATs for mastering, Westones for portable listening.  I would never use cans at a show; IEMs all the way (if I were to use anything).
3.) Sound quality, comfort, durability
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »
1) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
2) Home use only. Portables are a pair of Koss Portapro used with my MP3 player.
3) Audio quality, Comfort, Durability

I love a good set of cans.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:24:35 PM by Belexes »
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
For the record, I've not been a fan of the Grado or AKG sound as they seem too hot in the midrange or low trebble and not flat enough for my hearing response.  Never tried Denons or Beyers, love to have a set of Stax,

The Denons, Beyers, and Senns are all darker then the AKGs and Grados (which I don't like, not enough stuff under 400hz to be realistic without a dark amp driving them)

There is something in the upper registers with Sennheiser's house sound that does me in. The best I can explain it is in the 5-8khz range when you hear a hi-hat, it's like there is a touch of sand that is rolling around in it. I notice it on both the HD600s and 650s, but it's almost completely gone in the HD800s (which has a peak around 6k or so that I don't like). That's the liquid remark I made.

my ultimate non-portable would be the Smyth Realizer system which includes entry level Stax.  Was personally HRTF calibrated by the developer and it blew my mind, indistinguishable from speaker sourced music in the calibration room.

I remember you posting about that. I lust after that, and baring that, an SPL Phonitor if I weren't going the Stax route.

Btw, if anyone gets a chance and is interested in what a bunch of headphones sound like, I recommend finding the next head-fi meet-up in your area and showing up. It's the easiest way to take a bit of material that you know extremely well and run it through a bunch of headphones in one sitting to make notes about what you prefer and why.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
I have 2 sets of cans now.

1) Grado SR80's (need some loving...loose connection in the cable). Love them to death. Couldn't believe a $100 set of headphones could sound sooooo goood. Sometimes it would be nice if they weren't an open air design.
2) Senn. HD280Pro. Don't like the sound quite as much as the Grado's but I can really crank them without pissing anyone off. They are a little uncomfortable for long periods though.

Also have the Etymotic e6i and mc5's for when I'm on the go. Both are really nice. Really nice when you're in a noisy environment like an airplane.

Plan on picking up the Beyer DT 990's soon. Tried them in NYC a few months ago and loved them.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
What's the deal with open and closed? I have never really researched headphones or anything. Can someone give me a quick what when why with open and closed?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »
With open people will be easily be able to hear what you're listening to. I'm somewhat limited with experience between the two types, but from that limited experience I like open cans better.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
I have 3 sets that get regular use:

iGrado - for work. Our cubes are far enough away that the open design is OK, and that lets me hear when someone is talking to me.
Etymotic ER6 - for travel. Fitted with my musicians ear plugs for a custom fit.
Sony MDR-V6 - for general home use.

Offline absnj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »
Any suggestions on Beyer DT770 vs. DT880?  If I am driving them with my PC for mastering, do I need the 32 ohm version?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
Grado SR80's Love them to death.

If you liked those, consider the Alessandro MS-1. Same sound signature but most who try both prefer it. A small company in NYC uses the drivers out of the SR80 as their starting point.

I tried a pair once. I can understand why folks like the Grado sound, but it wasn't for me.

Also have the Etymotic e6i and mc5's for when I'm on the go. Both are really nice. Really nice when you're in a noisy environment like an airplane.

I had the ER6 for years, I thought they sounded great behind a tube amp that had slightly dark tubes.

Any suggestions on Beyer DT770 vs. DT880?  If I am driving them with my PC for mastering, do I need the 32 ohm version?

yes, you probably want the lowest ohm you can get if you're not using a headphone amp (depending on the ohm output of your soundcard).

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »
1) Just wondering what everyone is using these days?
Audio Technica ATH-M50, Westone 3, Shure E3C
2) Also was wondering if you all have multiple different pairs  for different purposes?
AT's for mastering, Westones for on-the-go listening, Shures really as a backup and for monitoring at show (a practice I find useless 90% of the time, other than to just be sure everything is actually working...)
For example if you use a pair at the show (for monitoring) do you have yet another pair to at home (for post work, mixing, general playback
3)  What are the three most important characteristics you check off before you purchase?           
Sound quality, price, recommendations on TS.com(!)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:31 PM »
Open cans for mixing and editing are: Sennheiser HD 800

Closed cans for battery portables and listening to detail: Sennheiser HD 25-1

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »
Open Cans: AKG K701

Closed Cans: Sony MDR-7506

Portable Cans: shure ear buds (can't remember the model #)
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »
Most of my listening: E-MU 0404 USB -> Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm)
Portable or laptop in a quiet environment: Grado SR60
Portable or laptop in a noisy environment: Sony MDR-NC60 (noise cancelling)
Nostalgia: Koss Pro-4AAA

Even at 80 ohms, the Beyers need more power than a laptop or portable player can dish out. The E-MU box puts out just enough juice that I don't need a dedicated headphone amp.

I like both the Beyer and Grado sound profiles, but the DT 770s win in the bass department.

As for the Koss cans, I need to find new ear cushions - the old ones are about as hard as rocks now. Otherwise, they sound quite good.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Page, thanks for the detail on the 'sand' what you hear in the Senns. 

And great recommendation on hitting a Head-Fi meet to hear various cans with your own material. I stopped by a national one here about 4 years back which is where I demoed the Smyth setup.  I walked in with a list of cans to audition, an R-09 loaded with my recordings and some good commercial material I know well.  Didn't get to listen to nearly as many of the phones on my list as I would like, but enough to decide that I liked Stax, that the AKG and Grados models I did get to try didn't work for me (others might) and that I'd be happy going with the HD650 for a while.  Loads of esoteric gear there that was cool to see, but didn't really help me in my quest.

Those serious headphone guys are freakier than we are!

I didn't get to hear any Beyers.  I know some Beyers are available in both high and low impedance versions, but besides that, what is the differentiation between the 770, 880 990?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »
Those serious headphone guys are freakier than we are!

I've never met such a high concentration of people who would blow cash on that last mile. I thought we were bad, we're logical comparatively.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 12:48:40 AM »
ATH-M50

I use them for home/ casual listening.

I picked them up because of the sound quality, low price, they looked comfortable, and were recommended by a number of people here.

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 06:01:36 AM »
Beyer dt990 pro for home and Sony 7506 for out of home.

I'm not really good at describing sounds but I like the sound of the Beyers quite a bit better even tho they aren't flat like the Sonys. The Beyers are super comfy too!

Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
Grado SR60's at home.   

Etymotic ER6i's on the road.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »
Sony MDR-7506 with velour ear pads (collapsable sealed-ear)

AKG K240M (around the ear semi-open)

Sennheiser PX100 (collapsable walkman style)

Sennheiser CX300P (in-ear buds)

Interested in picking up a pair of custom ear-mold buds for iPod Listening & Location Recording use but no idea which ones to go with yet, maybe Etymotic?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:51:36 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
Interested in picking up a pair of custom ear-mold buds for iPod Listening & Location Recording use but no idea which ones to go with yet, maybe Etymotic?

Etymotic, Westone, and I think Ultimate Ears will all do custom tips. The first two have tips that connect to the stock IEMs, not sure if UE has in that regard. The Westone's have more bass than the Etys (and IMHO more detail, but also cost more). Etymotic's only earbud that works this was is the ER6 as far as I know. The 4 series won't unless they've done something in the last couple years. Westone and UE will also encase a set of drivers in a custom mold instead of just tips.

Also, if you're a baller, the *best* IEMs come from JHenry. If I ever went back to IEMs it would be a set of JHenry 13. You pay for what you get though.  :-\

Offline JonG

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »
AKG K701 #29959 all the time.

I listen for audio quality, paper specs included, above all, followed by feeling for comfort, and looking for aesthetics.  Audio encompasses so many things, however, so it's natural that that is the most important.

More photos can be seen, here.
------
https://etreedb.org/EnglishSkylarking
https://lcdb.org/user/EnglishSkylarking
https://archive.org/details/@englishskylarking
https://www.youtube.com/@EnglishSkylarkingLive
------
AT943 / CMC-8 > R-07
AT943 / CMC-8 > SP-SAPM-1-USB-C > Moto X4 (w/ LineageOS 21 for 24-bit support)
ZS100

kirk97132

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
Only use Sony 7506/V6/V600  all the same  On my 4th pair now.

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »
Only use Sony 7506/V6/V600  all the same  On my 4th pair now.
Ha! I was wondering what the major differences were. I have the v6.
I love 'em but they are old.

Offline easyed

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • get your Jam in the Can
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »

your question is about the difference between the 770 and the 880 but here is info about the difference between the two 770 models
from http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs/kopfhoerer.html#fo1928

"Both DT 770 PRO and DT 770 M are basically one and the same headphone and also for similar applications.

The difference between these two models though, is as follows:
1. The DT 770 PRO has so called "Bass-Relfex-Openings" at the side of each housing to make sure the diaphragm can "breath", causing a better reproduction of low- and high frequencies (since the diaphragm can move a lot easier). A small amount of isolation against ambient noise has to be sacrificed for the better sound. The DT 770 M doesn't have these openings, therefore sounds slightly "thinner" (slightly less low end), but offers up to 35 dB(A) of ambient noise isolation. That's why the DT 770 M is prefererd by drummers (like the German drummer Ralf Gustke) or percussionists (like the young percussionist Farouk Gomati).
2. The DT 770 PRO is equipped with silver velours ear pads for better wearing comfort and cooler ears. The DT 770 M is equipped with the so called "Soft-Skin" ear pads to provide maximum isolation of ambient noise.

Conclusion:
DT 770 PRO is for studio use where sound quality has a higher priority than the isolation of ambient noise.
DT 770 M is also for studio use, put for those to whom the isolation of ambient noise if most important.

The DT 770 M also includes the DT-Bag."

My needs: 1) accuracy (flat response) 2) durability 3) comfort

My preferences?

I own Sony 7506's and only use them as a backup.

I love my Beyerdynamic DT770M's.  So comfortable, very good sound, use them for monitoring when doing multitrack recordings of live shows.

Have a pair of KRK KNS6400's as backup/comparison for monitoring when doing multitrack recordings of live shows.   Good sound, not quite as comfortable as the Beyers.

At home, for sound editing or gaming, Sennheiser HD580's.   Very comfortable.

When listening to music on my Blackberry phone while taking a walk, have inexpensive earbuds.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:41:48 PM by easyed »
Beyerdynamic CK-930s > Naiant Tinybox or Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10 or
DPA 4061's > Core Sound Battery Box > Sony PCM-M10 or
matrix: Sound Devices 744T or
multitracking: Audient ASP008 preamps > JoeCo Blackbox BBR1B

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
Couple of personal questions:
1) Mostly Koss KSC75's because they sound fantastic for the price.  I also own a pair of Shure SE535's which I want to sell due to fit issues, Sennheiser HD580's, Grado SR60's and Sony MDR 7506's.

2) I never wear cans at a live show, not even iem's...I seriously doubt I would hear much of anything to be able to monitor a recording.  My go to cans for monitoring a transfer at home are the Sony's.  They provide some isolation and my ears are very familiar with their sound signature.

3)  Hard question really.  I don't really look at frequency graphs.  I may read some reviews on headphone.com and head-fi and then decide to order something based on that alone...pretty much a blind purchase.  Of course, the descriptions of how they sound will help me decide a bit.  I once purchased a pair of Sennheiser electrostatic headphones (Baby Orpheus) from England for $800 with only the slightest clue of how they sounded after trying them at a head-fi meet for 15 minutes.  Best purchase ever.  They sounded phenomenal.     
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 01:11:35 AM »
I use Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones for their excellent isolation. This is important to me because without it, one is forced to turn up the volume to be certain that one is hearing the cans rather than the live sound in the room--and such high levels of sound exposure over time can be quite damaging to one's hearing, so more isolation is better for the long term. I really don't think very highly of the sound quality of these 'phones, but with a few weeks of practice I became able to work with them well enough.

Prior to that I used the Sony MDR-V6 phones, which have elevated low-mid response and are thus very good for detecting any hum in a recording setup. When I was a studio engineer that was an important part of my responsibility, while all final EQ decisions were made over monitor loudspeakers. But when I went back to live recording, that same artificial impression of plentiful low end caused me to make rather thin-sounding live recordings, so I abandoned the Sonys.

Before that, for many years I used Beyer DT-48s which again are not pleasant but very truthful, and have good isolation although not nearly as good as the Sennheiser 280s.

If Koss still made their ESP-9 series of electrostatic headphones, those would get my vote for most truthful of all that I've heard. But with their weight and the need for a power amplifier and a separate interface/charger, they're rather inconvenient for live recordings, and anyway I don't think they're available any more.

--best regards
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:48:51 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 06:38:09 PM »
I use Senn 580's for mastering/mixing on the computer......very comfy and have a neutral sound,not colored at all.
Also Senn 650's for casual listening when i can't use my speakers for audio or home theater.
Shure SE530 earbuds for portable listening.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline alpine85

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
AKG K-240-DF cans (semi-open) - very accurate and balanced, not fatiguing at all,  but they need LOTS of power to drive them.  (they won't work with a typical headphone output from a laptop or portable device)

Sennheiser HD-595 cans (open) - extremely comfortable, highly efficient (loud), good detail, slightly on the bright side

Etymotic ER-6i (buds) - great isolation, great sound overall, but get a little fatiguing after a while (I can only take so much of having anything in my ear).  I don't do much monitoring in the field, but if I did these would work great
MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline Duconlajoie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »
Sorry for that silly question but cans mean headphones?

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »
yep. kids and their slang   ;D

Offline Duconlajoie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »
Thanks. My english is not perfect.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »
Cans also mean something else: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cans

For that other meaning, we'd have to travel to the Sewer.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
Sennheiser HD-600 for home
Sennheiser PX-250 II for  planes / trains / noisy server rooms
Sennheiser HD-414 for impressing the chicks, baby      ;)
Sennheiser HD-280 at the office (fed by a hacked Benchmark HPA-2 amp sans DAC)

Do you see a reoccurring theme here?            ;D

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:22:45 PM by Hey Now! »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 09:42:48 AM »
  • AKG K-501 for home / extended listening.  The detail and comfort (these are truly circumaural) far exceeds that of my other cans.
  • Sony MDR-7506 for field recording of un-amplified sources and general home listening when I need closed cans.  While marketed as circumaural, for me, they're not really (maybe I have freakishly large / lumpy / deep ears, but I don't think so.)
  • Etymotic ER-6 with custom earplug molds for field recording and travel / on-the-go listening.  Tiny, comfy, good enough sound quality.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.163 seconds with 63 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com