Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using Sony PCM D50 with outboard mics  (Read 9449 times)

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Using Sony PCM D50 with outboard mics
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
gr8fulpete,

no, I use line in (analog) on the D50. If you want to connect both devices digitally, you need a converter that does two things:

1) convert the electrical AES-out of the MixPre D to optical (D50): easy
2) convert AES digital signal to SPDIF: not so easy, since some important bits have a different meaning (especially the copy protect bit!) and the D50 probably rejects the AES signal.

Hope its clear now. BTW setting levels as described by me is unnecessary for a digital connection!

Greetings,

Rainer

recording steam trains since 1985

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
^^ Hoping DigiGal will chime in here as she successfully runs a MixPre-D digitally into a Marantz 661 which, I believe, only accepts a SPDIF signal.  Can't recall where she got the AES>SPDIF cable or if she built it, but it appears to work like a champ for her.  Just my 0.02.

BTW, the MixPre-D is a very drool-worthy piece of gear.  If I didn't already have an original MixPre (which I love), I'd be all over one.

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »
I know this topic is really old, but in case somebody comes to it on a Search, I wanted to add this info:

The D50 works perfectly with the digital output of the Sound Devices USBPre2. It's a beautiful combo.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.176 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com