Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I am about to leave to go tape my first show.  (Read 5884 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: I am about to leave to go tape my first show.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 03:50:17 PM »
  I figure I am not too concerned with those little details yet.

Writing things down was absoultely the best thing I ever did when I first stated out taping.   Write down what config  you ran your mics.  I have used my notes to run different configs at the same bar to really know what sound best in a particular room/venue.   Most of us kill brain cells pretty good at shows so I can always go back and look at ,y notes.  I'll usually make them before the show right after I get set up.   I have notes all the way back to 1989 from various bands and venues.  Takes alot of the guesswork out of taping for me. 

I read once wher Dan Healy had logged every venue he ever worked it.  Can you imagine how much help that would be.  To actually know where the sweet spots were. 

Congrats on your first taping experience!  Welcome to the dark side!

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 02:37:29 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the advice.  I just got back from Haymaker.  Read the post about it.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=42708.0

Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 11:23:25 PM »
Congrats!   Welcome to an addictive hobby! 

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2005, 11:46:54 PM »

Tell me about it!  I just got back from my first few days taping and I have spent ever minute awake today, except for the hour I watched Deadwood, on messing with the recordings and looking for better cables and such. :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 12:11:07 AM »

Tell me about it! I just got back from my first few days taping and I have spent ever minute awake today, except for the hour I watched Deadwood, on messing with the recordings and looking for better cables and such. :)

analog cables ala xlr mic cables are VERY important in the chain IMO, once the cables hit digital tho, it matters a lil bit less

but yeah, get yourself some great recording cables possibly off of leegeddy, he sells silver clad cables worth every penny for $150 a 15 foot pair, and like I said, you will HEAR a difference, the detail/clarity will really improve your tapes IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 01:22:46 AM »

Tell me about it! I just got back from my first few days taping and I have spent ever minute awake today, except for the hour I watched Deadwood, on messing with the recordings and looking for better cables and such. :)

analog cables ala xlr mic cables are VERY important in the chain IMO, once the cables hit digital tho, it matters a lil bit less

but yeah, get yourself some great recording cables possibly off of leegeddy, he sells silver clad cables worth every penny for $150 a 15 foot pair, and like I said, you will HEAR a difference, the detail/clarity will really improve your tapes IMO

Yeah I am leaning heavily in marc's direction for the cables.  Lemme ask, If I was trying to spend a little less money.  He said he could make me some canare cables for half the price.  Would there be any real differnece between marc's canare cables and the kindkables version?

Joe

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 01:33:23 AM »
I got some Canare's from marc, good stuff.  Everyone around here has nothing but good things to say about Ed from Kindcables too. Marc is my man though, after doing the phantom mod to my at831's he agrees to fix them free of charge after I hear some static in one of the solder points that wasn't even part of the mod.  quality service.

IMHO mics are the most sound-impacting device in the chain, then preamp, and adc and cables can go back and forth depending on gear/situation. I do know one thing though, and that is that marc's miagi silvers are in my future...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.333 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com