Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oktava Mics At Coventry..??  (Read 7972 times)

Offline Cactus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sittin @ 4-5 2 in a row...WOW!!!
Oktava Mics At Coventry..??
« on: July 06, 2004, 08:58:53 AM »
..hey now ,  these are in my current rig and was wondering if these things would be a complete waste of time at coventry ?/ havnt heard many of these mics from the section and dont know how the fair at a distance.. omni's were a thought but im sure patching will be an option.. just curious

Cactus ... Cactus

Bring Back The Ugly Funk

Resident Married, Broke, And On Hiatus Taper

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Oktava Mics At Coventry..??
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 11:14:06 AM »
..hey now ,  these are in my current rig and was wondering if these things would be a complete waste of time at coventry ?/ havnt heard many of these mics from the section and dont know how the fair at a distance.. omni's were a thought but im sure patching will be an option.. just curious

Good question. I'm getting the omni caps for taping outsite. I figure I'll give it a shot. Either way I probably won't seed my source. I just want to tape because it's my last time that I can tape Phish.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 11:19:01 AM »
I have a friend who runs these outside and from distance(he's got all 3 caps)  and he gets great tapes.  His pattern du jour is split omnis right now too.  Run em!
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 11:34:04 AM »
Either way I probably won't seed my source.

Be proud of the rig you run...who knows, your source might be the best to circulate. You never know. The Schoeps tree might collapse, the Neumann taper might have his batteries die, and the DPA guy might have a tape misload....hell, you might be the only taper to get a complete show. Don't underestimate what Oktavas or any mics are capable of...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 11:38:11 AM »
I have a friend who runs these outside and from distance(he's got all 3 caps)  and he gets great tapes.  His pattern du jour is split omnis right now too.  Run em!

Agreed, the omnis are quite good imo, don't knock the oktavas with ____________ envy ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 01:46:33 PM »
Be proud of the rig you run...who knows, your source might be the best to circulate. You never know. The Schoeps tree might collapse, the Neumann taper might have his batteries die, and the DPA guy might have a tape misload....hell, you might be the only taper to get a complete show. Don't underestimate what Oktavas or any mics are capable of...

+Thumbs up.  Who cares what your rig is?  This is just a hobby right.  Have fun and throw you mics up.  Not gonna know how they fair until you try right?

-Kevin

JasonGreen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 02:46:20 PM »
out of curiosity, why would anyone want to run omnis?  I thought those were only good for quiet audiences and small rooms.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 02:55:14 PM »
Omnis outdoors are the bomb (or whatever the kids are saying these days)!
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 03:01:29 PM »
Omnis outdoors are the bomb (or whatever the kids are saying these days)!

"the shizzle bizzle" i think is the correct terminology these days.   "da bomb" is so 2 years ago :P

regarding the subject:  a lot of people have specualted that at a festi-type situation and being that far back that hypers are the only option really.  while i understand the theory behind the idea i say hogwash.  split those omnis and run em high!  omnis just sound so natural!  i'll do this and run hypers the other night.  will be interesting to see which tape will be bettter

Offline Jason R

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 03:03:24 PM »

Thats me....run those freakin mics!  Just cause they are cheap mics don't mean they suck.  The Omnis are freakin great.  Outdoors from the section with maybe a 4 or 5 ft. spread do wonders.  Omnis up close in quiet clubs make very impressive tapes too.
"I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"

JasonGreen

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 05:17:41 PM »
anyone tried the MS Technique?  I'm thinking of trying that out at DMB Gorge.

Offline Cactus

• Taperssection Member
  • Sittin @ 4-5 2 in a row...WOW!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 05:32:58 PM »
..hey now ,  thanks for the positive feedback ,  good to see lots of opinions out there..  hopefully i get the omni's before smilefest.. should be a good starting point .. .  peace and goodvibes

see you in the section
michael

as far at small mics with omni caps go .. should i spread em or xy or ..?? i know it can very .. ive had a ton of luck with xy and oktava mics  but only run hyper and card..
Cactus ... Cactus

Bring Back The Ugly Funk

Resident Married, Broke, And On Hiatus Taper

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 05:37:28 PM »
anyone tried the MS Technique?  I'm thinking of trying that out at DMB Gorge.

What mics are you planning on using for that?

-Kevin

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 05:38:54 PM »
split omni's from the section would be my choice for sure...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 06:16:58 PM »
Octavas?  Don't bother.

kidding, of course ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com