Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new to recording, need help on a rig  (Read 2760 times)

Offline rossgoddard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
new to recording, need help on a rig
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:59:20 AM »
I'm new to audio recording.  I have enjoyed downloading live hsows for a while, and want to get into this nonesense.
I have about 600 bucks, and would like to assemble a eady to use, decent entry rig.  is it possible? 
i listen to a lot of jam stuff, so the recording wouldnt have to be too stealthy.  I also need stuff that is good for that type of music- MMW, soulive, allmans, trey, etc...
i looked at the microtrack and r-09.  worth getting one? 
mics?  power? mic stands? software?
i have a macbook, so i suppose i could also use that in the setup if it would make it better?  no idea....
just need some things to think about/look at so i can get my stuff together
thanks!

Offline Corbin

• Taperssection Member
Re: new to recording, need help on a rig
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:20:24 PM »
If I were you I would use your Macbook for taping instead of buying a R9 or MT..especially since you only have 600 bucks.  With a Macbook you could use the program Audacity to record 24bit instead of 16bit.  You might have to upgrade the RAM in your Macbook to use it to tape shows but I'm not quite sure about that.
Buy a set of Studio Projects C4s and a digi mod UA5 and you're ready to roll..

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:33:20 PM »
Buy a set of Studio Projects C4s and a digi mod UA5 and you're ready to roll..

If he's running a mac-book, he won't even need the digimod...

He can worry about modding it down the road when he moves to a rig without a computer in the chain...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:51:16 PM by leshlush »
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 12:44:09 PM »
If I were you I would use your Macbook for taping instead of buying a R9 or MT...

Now don't lie to him Hicks(Corbin)...

If you were him, you would move to Korea to teach English for a year and make enough copious amts of money to not only pay off all of your student loans but also to buy a killer first rig...

Like your: SP LSD2 > Hydra Silver XLR > Oade ACM Marantz PMD 660

LOL... Had to throw in that dig... You know I'm uber-jealous of your first rig... Can't wait to run some mics w/ you... I didn't get a chance to mail your cashier's chq to Oade this weekend, but I did pick up the cashiers chq... I have this afternoon off, so I'm going straight from work to mail that for you.. Before long, your PMD 660 will be on it's way... Sorry about the delays...

Talk to you soon...

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:59:10 PM »
Studio Project C4s, digi-modded UA-5, and an iRiver 120. Add a stand, bag, cables, and UA-5 battery and you should be able to complete that rig for $600 (used prices). You'll make some excellent tapes, too.

Offline Corbin

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 01:10:14 PM »
If he's running a mac-book, he won't even need the digimod...

I stand corrected...

If you were him, you would move to Korea to teach English for a year and make enough copious amts of money to not only pay off all of your student loans but also to buy a killer first rig...

Who said anything about paying off all my student loans?  I paid off my credit card debt but I haven't really put a dent in the loans..
Taping rig before student loans..You know I always have my priorities straight  ::)

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 01:20:32 PM »
Studio Project C4s, digi-modded UA-5, and an iRiver 120. Add a stand, bag, cables, and UA-5 battery and you should be able to complete that rig for $600 (used prices). You'll make some excellent tapes, too.

I've happily run the same rig he's just mentioned (substitute: JB3 for iRiver) for over a year and have been nothing but satified...

Definitely a great starter rig...

Just as an alt option, to save yourself a couple of bucks, you can alweays substitute the UA5 w/ a couple of line-matching transformers until you can affford the pre-amp... That's what I did for a while and it definitely carried me through until I could afford the UA5...

Line matching xformers add a fixed amt of gain to boost your signal, you however would have to run line-in on your recorder(not digi) and unfortunately have to rely on the recorders ADC... But it will definitely carry you through if you're unable to afford the UA5 of the bang...

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 02:10:22 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention - you may want to just buy a recorder first (JB3 or iRiver for simple 16bit bit buckets) and patch off some folks to make sure you like this hobby. I think plenty of tapers would play nice and help teach you about set up, gear, etc. It'll also help you see what combination of gear you like.

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention - you may want to just buy a recorder first (JB3 or iRiver for simple 16bit bit buckets) and patch off some folks to make sure you like this hobby. I think plenty of tapers would play nice and help teach you about set up, gear, etc. It'll also help you see what combination of gear you like.

+T for some good advise

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »

+T for some good advise

This is what I did and I'm glad I went this route. I bought a JB3 and patched out of the sbd until I knew I was hooked. Then I got a Pre-A/D and added mics. Now I'm an aspiring gear-slut! Good luck, whichever route you choose.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 08:14:02 AM »

+T for some good advise

This is what I did and I'm glad I went this route. I bought a JB3 and patched out of the sbd until I knew I was hooked. Then I got a Pre-A/D and added mics. Now I'm an aspiring gear-slut! Good luck, whichever route you choose.

Yup, I started with a MD patching out of the SBD. Never did patch out of someone else's AUD rig, but got the bug nonetheless.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com