Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New TS-2 Preamp ... under development (part II)  (Read 93686 times)

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
Re: New TS-2 Preamp ... under development (part II)
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »
I've read it all and I'm just so ready to buy one of these.  Cant wait!
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline fivefishdiy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2008, 12:05:27 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.... :)

Update:
Been thinking in advance what to do to label the knobs and switches... laser engraving or mill engraving. It affects the pricing. Or maybe I should just leave it unlabeled.... hmmm... still thinking.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:12:45 AM by fivefishdiy »
SC-1 Mic Preamp Kits... www.fivefishstudios.com
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup
Video: Sony HDV HDR-HC5

Offline dgodwin

• Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2008, 12:46:24 AM »
looks nice.  +T

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2008, 01:08:54 AM »
Beautiful! Great work!

scot

stevetoney

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2008, 01:59:27 AM »

Update:
Been thinking in advance what to do to label the knobs and switches... laser engraving or mill engraving. It affects the pricing. Or maybe I should just leave it unlabeled.... hmmm... still thinking.

Preamp looks great! 

Guess it wouldn't make or break for me if unlabeled, although I'd pay more and would prefer to have mine labeled.  In the grand scheme of things, just thinking out loud that it might not be as well accepted outside the TS.com community if it's unlabeled...as if it weren't a professional product or something.  Besides, why go as far as you have, with the ULTRA superior professional approach that you've taken getting the preamp to 98%, only to leave the product looking 'home-made'. 

Even though in this community, we know what's inside the box is what counts, it's what's outside the box and how it looks that may convince many (if not most) potential non-TS.com buyers as to the professionalism that went into design and construction.  A home-made looking end product implies a home-made approach to design and construction and devalues your product, IMO.

My $0.02 anyway.

EDIT TO ADD:  If it was me, I'd personally even go so far as to make sure all exposed aluminum in the cut holes are also somehow colored or blackened so that there is no exposed silver aluminum showing from the exterior, but that's me because I do think presentation is important to the end product.

(An analogy is that I'm an engineer and my end work product is oftentimes a technical report.  I can do a fantastic job and spend years on a project doing nothing but Grade A technical work and present a final report that is 100% technically correct and technically outstanding, but if the report has typos, incorrect page numbers, wrong references to figures, etc., then it shows a lack of attention to detail and generally leaves a negative impression, especially on people that read the report but don't know me or the work I've done.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:45:00 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2008, 03:04:44 AM »
what's the maximum level it can handle on the input?

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2008, 08:34:46 AM »
I'd personally even go so far as to make sure all exposed aluminum in the cut holes are also somehow colored or blackened s

I agree... this is just a prototype box.
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »

Update:

Preamp looks great! 

Guess it wouldn't make or break for me if unlabeled, although I'd pay more and would prefer to have mine labeled.  In the grand scheme of things, just thinking out loud that it might not be as well accepted outside the TS.com community if it's unlabeled...as if it weren't a professional product or something.  Besides, why go as far as you have, with the ULTRA superior professional approach that you've taken getting the preamp to 98%, only to leave the product looking 'home-made'. 

Even though in this community, we know what's inside the box is what counts, it's what's outside the box and how it looks that may convince many (if not most) potential non-TS.com buyers as to the professionalism that went into design and construction.  A home-made looking end product implies a home-made approach to design and construction and devalues your product, IMO.

My $0.02 anyway.

EDIT TO ADD:  If it was me, I'd personally even go so far as to make sure all exposed aluminum in the cut holes are also somehow colored or blackened so that there is no exposed silver aluminum showing from the exterior, but that's me because I do think presentation is important to the end product.

(An analogy is that I'm an engineer and my end work product is oftentimes a technical report.  I can do a fantastic job and spend years on a project doing nothing but Grade A technical work and present a final report that is 100% technically correct and technically outstanding, but if the report has typos, incorrect page numbers, wrong references to figures, etc., then it shows a lack of attention to detail and generally leaves a negative impression, especially on people that read the report but don't know me or the work I've done.)

You really haven't cut any corner since the inseption....why start now......Make the outside as good as the inside...People will buy this preamp.......regardless.........This pre looks fantastic!!!!!  I can't wait to hear how it sounds in the field!

Peace OOK   T+
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2008, 01:44:05 AM »
Okay, I made CAD drawings of the front panel, then did a Photoshop render to make it look a little bit realistic... 

I'll have one prototype panel made to see if my dimensions are correct.

All text will be engraved on the anodized aluminum panel, 3mm thick. It's not silkscreen/paint that will chip or fade away.

Also using recessed head stainless steel screws to attach the front panel to the case. It will have that gun-gray color. Then of course, black anodized rack handles.

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2008, 01:53:15 AM »
Okay, I made CAD drawings of the front panel, then did a Photoshop render to make it look a little bit realistic... 

All text will be engraved on the anodized aluminum panel, 3mm thick. It's not silkscreen/paint that will chip or fade away.

Also using recessed head stainless steel screws to attach the front panel to the case. It will have that gun-gray color. Then of course, black anodized rack handles.

Looks great, I'm really looking forward to hearing this pre.

A couple of suggestions for the panel markings, might be nice to add a couple of equally spaced lines around the circumference of the gain and trim knobs for reference and maybe add something to define the polarity switch's position.

Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »

Looks great, I'm really looking forward to hearing this pre.

A couple of suggestions for the panel markings, might be nice to add a couple of equally spaced lines around the circumference of the gain and trim knobs for reference and maybe add something to define the polarity switch's position.

I would like to second the suggestion of the "equally spaced lines around the circumference of the gain and trim knobs for reference." this, coupled with whichever markings may be on the knob itself will make it easier to match gain/trim settings on each channel (a need common in live music taping though not in the studio.)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
Will do.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
Awesome.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »
Latest Front panel... click marks added.

The "dots" are engraved/milled into the aluminum panel.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2008, 07:25:52 PM »
This thing is going to look great and I'm sure it will sound great. I'm glad I kept my R-1. I think they will go quite well together.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com