Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 131066 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #240 on: December 10, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »
http://www.centrance.com/products/mp/

This may better suit your needs, but I don't want to discourage you from the USB PRE2 because it will have more gain and that may be necessary sometimes.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #241 on: December 10, 2010, 10:40:26 PM »
http://www.centrance.com/products/mp/

This may better suit your needs, but I don't want to discourage you from the USB PRE2 because it will have more gain and that may be necessary sometimes.

thank you so much, i do remember seeing that before and i totally forgot about it, How is the Micport pro different than the USBPre 2?  What i mean is that in what environments would i need more gain?  If i am doing vocals( commentary) or voice over, and the occasional recording, I am having a bit of trouble understanding the difference other than options between the 2.  I am not tech savvy when it comes to MIC>pre?>computer for adding additional audio.
My goal is to make the - commentary part stand out in front ( sounding), my projects tend to sound a bit distant and a bit muddy-when i am doing voice over or commentating.  I want it to be brighter and be out in the front sounding, not like i am talking thru a hat.

thanks in advance

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2010, 12:04:33 PM »
So looking at the block diagram; it looks like in standalone mode you can feed it an optical signal, and get a coax out (or vice-versa). Anyone tested to see if it's bit perfect?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2010, 04:13:53 PM »
So looking at the block diagram; it looks like in standalone mode you can feed it an optical signal, and get a coax out (or vice-versa). Anyone tested to see if it's bit perfect?

Niot near my gear right now but I thought there was some line item that optical took preference if both signal are there or something like that.  Should be in the manual....that might only be in reference to inputs not sure

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »

Niot near my gear right now but I thought there was some line item that optical took preference if both signal are there or something like that.  Should be in the manual....that might only be in reference to inputs not sure

I thought about that, I think it's in reference to inputs. Seems like they would have had to do work to get the outputs to shut off just because an input was detected elsewhere and I suspect their efforts were targeted elsewhere. Quite possible, but I don't think so.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

kirk97132

« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
Try asking Nic from SD, he is awesome about finding the answer to my weird questions.....and believe me I had a few :laugh:

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Try asking Nic from SD, he is awesome about finding the answer to my weird questions.....and believe me I had a few :laugh:

I'll bop over to the SD forums tomorrow during lunch and mention something. Thanks.

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2010, 12:41:31 AM »

I just sent in my Mixpre for a checkup yesterday and spoke with Nic at length about the intricacies and differences between the 744 and 788 preamps etc while I had him on the phone. He's definitely a great resource and he was super cool about my admittedly "oddball" questions as well.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #248 on: December 19, 2010, 10:30:45 PM »
Has anyone used the USBPre2 with the Tekkeon 3450 battery? If so, how long does it last?

Thanks
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2010, 12:04:09 AM »
Has anyone used the USBPre2 with the Tekkeon 3450 battery? If so, how long does it last?

Thanks

if nothing else, then 5v would be 10000mah (assuming full capacity can be utilized). Figure it draws at max an amp constant would make it what, just about festival capable at 100 hours? Even knocking off 1/4th of the capacity to be conservative and staying at a full amp constant draw gets you at least 70 hours.

kirk97132

« Reply #250 on: December 20, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
I ran my USBPre2 and my MP-2 off a (V 5400 mAh battery and the voltage converter I made.   After about 5 hours I still had one light on the dvd battery.

kirk97132

« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
Just adding a link in about doing battery power with a voltage regulator in line.  I have a little bug in the setup that I am working out.  Just in case anyone else was planning on using the 9v DVD battery setup, you should check this out, Kirk

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141902.0

Otherwise things are sounding good.  I have found that I needed to run pads on in the USBPre2 when I am running mics on stage at loud rock shows.  Other than that it is pretty darn simple to run.  I also had a chance to run it sync to another spdif clock, super easy to do.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:30:02 PM by kirkd »

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:41 AM »
The ASIO driver was announced at NAMM yesterday:
http://syphaonline.com/SYPHAnewsitems2011/SYPHAnews20110113-01.html

Sound Devices upgrades USBPre 2 interface with addition of ASIO Driver (13/1/2011)

Sound Devices is taking its USBPre 2, an all-new version of its popular USBPre computer audio interface, to the next level by adding Windows OS ASIO drivers along with its built-in, class-compliant drivers. The two-channel USBPre 2 offers professionals a powerful, yet easy-to-use, portable interface to interconnect audio sources to both Mac OS and Windows computers over USB. With the addition of ASIO, the USBPre 2 can now connect to popular DAW software platforms in Windows, such as ProTools 9.

“The benefit of class-compliant drivers means simplicity for customers,” says Paul Isaacs, principal applications engineer, Sound Devices. “Out of the box, the USBPre 2 works in Mac OS, Windows and Linux environments. We recognized the need for ASIO drivers for Windows, as it unlocks high sampling rates that are already available in Mac OS and enables users to take advantage of the high performance of the USBPre 2.”

The USBPre 2 is ideal for a broad range of applications including voiceover recording, reference playback and monitoring, and test and measurement. USBPre 2 uses the same extended-bandwidth, low-noise microphone preamplifiers and digital converters as Sound Devices award-winning 7-Series Digital Recorders.

The class-compliant, plug-and-play device accepts mic level, line level, consumer line level and SPDIF digital (coaxial or TOSLINK) inputs. Its microphone preamplifiers have selectable analog limiters, high-pass filters, 48 V phantom power and high-resolution LED meters. Because the USBPre 2 draws its power solely from the computer’s USB port, no additional power source is required.

Sound Devices designed the USBPre 2 for both reference quality input and output. Its balanced XLR outputs offer superior rejection to interference and are switch-selectable between mic or line level. Additionally, a consumer RCA-type output is available for connection to unbalanced inputs. Its headphone amplifier easily drives full-sized headphones with extensive, clean gain.

With its unique stand-alone mode, the USBPre 2 functions as a two-channel microphone preamplifier with analog, digital and headphone outputs. Stand-alone mode is perfect for applications that require an easy-to-use, quality microphone preamplifier. A built-in high-resolution LED level meter helps further facilitate these types of applications.

The USBPre 2, as with all Sound Devices products, is designed to withstand the physical and environmental extremes of field production. Its chassis is made from aluminum for superior durability and weight reduction.

ASIO drivers will be available for all registered users of the USBPre 2 beginning in February 2011.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
So it has the same pre's as my 722 :) I guess it would be a waste of money to run USBPre2>7xx :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2011, 02:33:07 AM »
Sound Devices say the preamp is not "exactly" the same because one runs on lower voltage than the other - but VERY similar. But the AD is exactly the same.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com