Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-10 + SD MixPre?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Room Tone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Olympus LS-10 + SD MixPre?
« on: November 26, 2010, 06:13:41 AM »
Hello Guys,

Just new member here, first off please sorry for my poor english.

I am looking for some opinions to know if would be a good idea to get a sound devices MixPre to my current setup.

I have several mics I can't use due of the lack of XLR, phantom on the LS-10 unit.

The use I going to make and my (modest) recording gear is:

indoors booming: AGK blue line with CK93 capsule.
outdoors = currently looking for no very expensive one, Rode NTG-2 maybe?
To stereo field recording : Rode NT-4

What I would like to know is if by putting a Mixpre in the chain I could to get less noisy recordings, specially recording dialog and making some "quiet" nature recordings.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thank you!!

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Re: Olympus LS-10 + SD MixPre?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »
That sounds like a good setup. I've used an E-MU 0404 USB as an impromptu analog preamp, connecting its 3.5mm TRS analog out to the LS-10 line in, and had very good results. However, the 0404 isn't well suited to portable usage.

Aside from the Mixpre, the USBpre 2 (also from SD) and the Naiant Littlebox, built by a member of this forum, are also good bets. Note that the USBpre 2 also acts as an audio interface (much like the 0404, but in a much more portable package).

I'm awaiting a Littlebox order to use with my LS-10... I don't know when to expect it on my doorstep, but it should be coming soon. If you go the Littlebox route, be sure to discuss your order with Jon (TS user "mshilarious") beforehand by email, since it will be custom-built and there are many options available. Once it arrives, I'll be in the team thread with pictures, then, once I actually get a chance to use it, samples.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:32:11 AM »
The AKG Blue Line is nothing to knock; great mics and very underrated.  I've heard some fantastic recordings with them.

I've never personally used a Littlebox but I've heard some great recordings done with them and you get a lot of preamp for the price.  That being said, I've used the MixPre and it's an excellent piece of gear, albeit more expensive than the Littlebox.  Very low noise, lots of clean gain and very sensitive, I don't think you'd have any problem making "quiet" recordings with it.  In fact, I believe digifish_music (another member of this board) regularly uses one in his signal chain for nature recordings with great success.

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »
The AKG Blue line in a MS setup were and are my main mics, very detailed, they do the job pretty well, you could argue that, neummans, schoeps, etc... but they really do their stuff... and you can adapt the setups going from omnis to hipercards, to cards and figure 8, even a shotgun version...

I used a Canford audio preamp for them with MS onboard, but more expensive than the littlebox (which i´m very interested on) but 70db of clean gain, not as clean as the SD stuff, but for less money...
http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/21239/20-272_CANFORD-M-S-MICROPHONE-AMPLIFIER

Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline Room Tone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:09:54 AM »
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your replies and links, I will take a look.

Regarding AKG blue line with CK93 capsule, I really like it, specially for dialog, I made very sound nice recordings using it, agree with its a very underrated mike, but a great mike for the price imho.

Just I have a SD mixpre from my friend to make some test  :D so I will let you know how it works with my ls-10.

Thank you to all again.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 07:29:04 AM »
I used a Canford audio preamp for them with MS onboard, but more expensive than the littlebox (which i´m very interested on) but 70db of clean gain, not as clean as the SD stuff, but for less money...
http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/21239/20-272_CANFORD-M-S-MICROPHONE-AMPLIFIER

For those in the US it appears the MixPre or USBPre 2 would be substantially cheaper than the Canford in addition to probably providing quieter gain (you also need to buy input and output y cables for the Canford) and it appears their features for taping are more versatile unless you need all the Canford's mid-side features.

I also love the littlebox if you don't need more gain than it can provide.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:01:59 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:22:34 AM »
I also love the littlebox if yo don't need more gain than it can provide.

My runs with an input transformer-equipped Littlebox and AKG Perception 170 mics into an LS-10 have been superb. For my purposes at least, the input trafos and bypass switch are definitely worthwhile additions.

Sample clip, Littlebox transformers engaged and level controls at roughly 9:00, LS-10 level control maxed, mics in ORTF on the balcony rail.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
If interested in getting a MixPre, the MP-2 is basically the same thing (older version & has Mid Side decoding) and one is for sale at a really good price here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141193.0

I believe the preamp performance is pretty much identical in both machines although I've never used an MP-2.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com