Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Benchmark DAC1>power amps  (Read 3312 times)

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Benchmark DAC1>power amps
« on: April 18, 2006, 12:22:11 PM »
I’d like to hook up the DAC1 to a pair of Channel Islands D100 monoblocks via XLR’s (speakers: Triangle Titus) My reasoning is to have as few alterations to the signal as possible: cheap CD/DVD player via optical>DAC1>D100's. Any thoughts? - Noam

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: Benchmark DAC1>power amps
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 12:42:58 PM »
Similar to my setup, when I get the coin I am planning on picking up a DAC1
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

cshepherd

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 01:24:39 PM »
Some sort of pre amp will improve your sound.  I understand the philosophy.  I bought into it to at one point in time.  Adjustable output controls on CD players and dacs are controlled with attenuators.  When an adjustable output is available, it's best to have the control wide open (no attenuation).  Not doing so reduces overall fidelity of the system.  An adjustable output is not the same as a volume control, which uses amplification.  The setup you describe will work, but I think you should look at a preamp first when the upgrade bug hits you.

Chris

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 02:37:36 PM »
Adjustable output controls on CD players and dacs are controlled with attenuators.  When an adjustable output is available, it's best to have the control wide open (no attenuation).  Not doing so reduces overall fidelity of the system.  An adjustable output is not the same as a volume control, which uses amplification. 
Chris

Interesting point, I always thought of the "cleanest signal path possible" viewpoint when running source>Power amp, but never considered the attenuation vs amplification issue.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 08:36:24 PM »
Chris is correct. I ran my Benchmark into my BAT VK-60 for over a year & it sounded excellent but when I switched amps I lost all the synergy. The Benchmark still sounded good but did not sound as good as it did with my pre-amp in the system. The bass was bloated & the high end was tizzy until I installed my Modwright into the system. You can try it, you have nothing to loose but it will probably sound better with a quality pre in addition to your Benchmark. If money is a concern then start with the Benchmark & add a quality pre-amp when funds allow.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

BobW

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »
DAC-1  >> the modded JoLida 502B ain't too shabby.

The levels indicated in the manual should allow it to be a fine passive preamp.

FWIW, I'm considering throwing a Manley Shrimp in the chain.
I'm hoping to get a bit more warmth and am planning a switch to SS mono blocks along with the new speakers.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:48:10 PM by _Bob_ »

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:35:57 PM »
Some sort of pre amp will improve your sound.  I understand the philosophy.  I bought into it to at one point in time.  Adjustable output controls on CD players and dacs are controlled with attenuators.  When an adjustable output is available, it's best to have the control wide open (no attenuation).  Not doing so reduces overall fidelity of the system.  An adjustable output is not the same as a volume control, which uses amplification. 
Chris

Will placing the Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 Tube Output Buffer between the DAC1 and the power amps do the trick? Can the Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 replace/function as a preamp in this context? - Noam

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »
Some sort of pre amp will improve your sound.  I understand the philosophy.  I bought into it to at one point in time.  Adjustable output controls on CD players and dacs are controlled with attenuators.  When an adjustable output is available, it's best to have the control wide open (no attenuation).  Not doing so reduces overall fidelity of the system.  An adjustable output is not the same as a volume control, which uses amplification. 
Chris

Will placing the Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 Tube Output Buffer between the DAC1 and the power amps do the trick? Can the Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 replace/function as a preamp in this context? - Noam

Not positive, but I don't think this is a preamp. I thought it was a box to give the sound of digital sources a bit more tube-iness.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

cshepherd

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 04:09:27 PM »
If you're looking for a tube sound, sell the buffer box and buy a tube pre amp.  I have a dual mono tube pre amp for sale in the YS for $725.  Check it out  at http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=61521.0.  It was $2800 when it went out of production.

Chris

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »
I still feel a tube pre-amp will sound better than a Benchmark + a tube buffer stage from my past experience. You can buy a Symphonies pre-amp used for the same money as the tube buffer stage & it sounds really nice for the money.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »
I got the Channel Islands monolocks and hooked them up to the DAC1 with
(balanced) XLR's. After only 20 hours of breaking them in (they're
supposed to have 300 hours) the improvement in sound over my Pioneer
Elite A-35R Integrated Amplifier is stunning. However, this set up
(CD/DVD transport>DAC1>monoblocks>speakers) allows only DVD's with a
PCM track. The DAC1 will not convert other formats. A lot of DVD's
don't have a PCM soundtrack. As a result, in order to play DVD's
without a PCM soundtrack I need to hook up the transport's RCA analog
outputs into the Pioneer> a second pair of speakers. I can't even
connect the same pair of speakers to 2 amps (the Triangle have
biwiring), because current can go from one amp through the speaker
connectors to the second amp and burn it.

Is there any DVD player that converts non-PCM audio tracks to PCM?

Noam

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com