Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church transformer based pre  (Read 84832 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Church transformer based pre
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2007, 04:22:33 PM »
Ok I have decided that the first step is to make the phantom power supply and have someone test it I will have that part done in the next 2 months anyone interested in testing it let me know... I am still looking for a battery suggestion, I want to use a 12 volt battery any ideas?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Ok I have decided that the first step is to make the phantom power supply and have someone test it I will have that part done in the next 2 months anyone interested in testing it let me know... I am still looking for a battery suggestion, I want to use a 12 volt battery any ideas?

12v NIMH batteries, more reliable than lion IMO and charge relatively quickly and outlast SLA/LIon batts. better than sla and not quite as light as lion but still an easy battery to use with no memory effect and relatively quick charge times so.........

and is making two versions out of the question? i would want XLR IN/OUT, not rca outs
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline oscoastierob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Go tape SLM
    • oscoastierob's facebook
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »
hey chris how about these batteries.. http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products-mypowerall.php
Peluso CEMC-6 /CK2, CK4, CK21, CK41-> Hydra Silver XLRs-> XTC silver interconnects-> UA-5 BM2p+ mod-> SPDIF-> R4

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2007, 08:19:09 PM »
i would rather have a lundahl on the front and a jensen on the out.

If the output is unbalanced and I don't see why it should not be, I don't think we need a transformer coupled output. Besides this is going to be a "small" preamp if I was building a rack mount pre I could put all kinds of things inside it. But I want to keep the size down. I don't want to use Jensen I would rather use the company that makes them.. Cinemag.

CineMag doesn't make transformers for Jensen.  Reichenbach used to make transformers that Jensen designed, QC'd and then sold. Prior to Deane Jensen's passing the relationship between Reichenbach and Jensen who designed the transformers soured.  The exact details are private but designs were stolen, Reichenbach's doors were shuttered and then they reopened later as two companies CineMag and Bauer Communications both currently making transformers that are variants of Deane's designs.  Your buisness decisons are yours and many have said the quality between the products are similar, I just wanted to clear up the misconception that Jensen's transformers are not made in-house. 

Just as I would purchase from yourself, Chris, instead of a company like sound pros, I will continue t use Jensen based transformer products and support companies that provide levels of support to customers and non-customers that go above and beyond.  A quick look to the database of free design info at Jensen's page is enough for me.

Below was a post in a larger discussion around the formation of CineMag on R.A.P. years ago:

CineMag is a company owned by Tom Reichenbach (son of the late Ed 
Reichenbach) who makes transformers. In the distant past, there was a
relationship between Ed Reichenbach and Deane Jensen. I know next to nothing
about his products.

Bill Whitlock
Jensen Transformers, Inc.

just my $.02
peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2007, 09:23:40 PM »
i would rather have a lundahl on the front and a jensen on the out.

If the output is unbalanced and I don't see why it should not be, I don't think we need a transformer coupled output. Besides this is going to be a "small" preamp if I was building a rack mount pre I could put all kinds of things inside it. But I want to keep the size down. I don't want to use Jensen I would rather use the company that makes them.. Cinemag.

CineMag doesn't make transformers for Jensen.  Reichenbach used to make transformers that Jensen designed, QC'd and then sold. Prior to Deane Jensen's passing the relationship between Reichenbach and Jensen who designed the transformers soured.  The exact details are private but designs were stolen, Reichenbach's doors were shuttered and then they reopened later as two companies CineMag and Bauer Communications both currently making transformers that are variants of Deane's designs.  Your buisness decisons are yours and many have said the quality between the products are similar, I just wanted to clear up the misconception that Jensen's transformers are not made in-house. 

Just as I would purchase from yourself, Chris, instead of a company like sound pros, I will continue t use Jensen based transformer products and support companies that provide levels of support to customers and non-customers that go above and beyond.  A quick look to the database of free design info at Jensen's page is enough for me.

Below was a post in a larger discussion around the formation of CineMag on R.A.P. years ago:

CineMag is a company owned by Tom Reichenbach (son of the late Ed 
Reichenbach) who makes transformers. In the distant past, there was a
relationship between Ed Reichenbach and Deane Jensen. I know next to nothing
about his products.

Bill Whitlock
Jensen Transformers, Inc.

just my $.02
peace, chris

Wow I had no idea I just talked to someone over at cinemag and they were telling me they used to make transformers for Jensen... I guess that's not entirely true. Thanks for clearing that up. They should be careful of what they tell people. I feel I was a bit mislead by them... I am still going to check them out but only because the price is very good and the apparent quality seems to be there. I have always been a Jensen fan until I got off the phone with cinemag that day. I guess I have to change my mind now.. I am back to being a Jensen fan :) I just wish they weren't so expensive..... Its a real shame. It would be hard for me to build a preamp with $200 in transformers in the front end and keep costs down to $500 or less. What do you think of Sowter transformers in the UK?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2007, 02:00:18 AM »
hey chris how about these batteries.. http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products-mypowerall.php

They look really nice.. But the bottom line is price... I dont know if I am going to be selling batteries or having customers buy there own I guess that's also a good topic for discussion. Should I make this thing so you can use from 12 volts to 18 volts and you supply the battery, or would people just want it all in one package?? I really dont want to get into selling and shipping batteries anyway to much of a pain in the ass. What are your thoughts?
I would rather sell the preamp with the power connector built in and supply the end that has to be soldered onto the customers pack then get into the whole battery issue.. That way customers could spend as much or as little as they want on a power pack...

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2007, 09:56:49 AM »
imo, unless you have a solid reason for a specific battery such as low-noise and you want to make it internal (as the Oades do with the 148), then you are probably best going with this plan:

Should I make this thing so you can use from 12 volts to 18 volts and you supply the battery
I would rather sell the preamp with the power connector built in and supply the end that has to be soldered onto the customers pack then get into the whole battery issue.. That way customers could spend as much or as little as they want on a power pack...

one man's opinion, of course.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »
imo, unless you have a solid reason for a specific battery such as low-noise and you want to make it internal (as the Oades do with the 148), then you are probably best going with this plan:

Should I make this thing so you can use from 12 volts to 18 volts and you supply the battery

one man's opinion, of course.

make that 2 men...
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2007, 02:25:23 PM »
i agree w/ external power.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

stirinthesauce

« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2007, 02:33:02 PM »
agree also

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2007, 05:49:30 PM »
Question would it be gimpy to run two walmart batteries so I can get 18 volts? this way the preamp would run forever what say you?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Question would it be gimpy to run two walmart batteries so I can get 18 volts? this way the preamp would run forever what say you?

it would be a downside for myself personally, and i would think it would be for those interested in using it for lowpro activities would see it as a negative.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »
Chris, what about making a power supply using the 9v NiMH rechargeables? They put out any where from 8.4 to 9.6 v DC each. Four would make a +18/ -18 vDC power supply. You could even sell an AC/ DC transformer to charge the battery pack. It would be small and relatively inexpensive.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/9v-rechargeable-batteries.php
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 06:14:32 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2007, 06:16:37 PM »
Chris, what about making a power supply using the 9v NiMH rechargeables? They put out any where from 8.4 to 9.6 v DC each. Four would make a +18/ -18 vDC power supply. You could even sell an AC/ DC transformer to charge the battery pack. It would be small and relatively inexpensive.

Not enough current I want about 3000mA 9 volts are only 200mA this power supply is going to need current and I also talking with Sparke to help with the design. I think its better to have a big supply that will supply lots of current if needed. That way you can take this thing to a festival and not run out of juice. How much are these walmart batteries? The walmarts in Canada suck they dont have shit compared to you lucky guys in the USA? Remember power is your friend besides at 18volts x 4000mA this preamp will run for 24 hours with out a drop in the signal never mind 12 hours for a festival. I want it over engineered so that it kicks some major ass. If I am going to go bankrupt doing this I want to at least have people say hey at least it was a good preamp.. LOL

stirinthesauce

« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »
Well, the "wallmart" batts are no longer available at wallmart.  Ebay is the only place now to purchase. 

What happened to 12v? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com