Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: active cable/DPA 402x users...storage/transport question  (Read 3373 times)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
active cable/DPA 402x users...storage/transport question
« on: December 23, 2004, 10:17:19 AM »
so I'm trying to figure out the best way to store/transport my upcoming Gefell m20/active cable setup.
(I should receive shipment by early/middle of January!)

I see a lot of people use film cannisters for the cap, but what about the cable?
these cables are very small and seem like they can crimp easily enough.
any special storage needs for the non-cap end of the cable(protection from bent pins, etc)?

maybe a small/medium sized tuperware container with foam and put the whole cap/cable assembly into...

thanks

the water's clean and innocent

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: active cable/DPA 402x users...storage/transport question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 10:21:34 AM »
so I'm trying to figure out the best way to store/transport my upcoming Gefell m20/active cable setup.

I see a lot of people use film cannisters for the cap, but what about the cable?
these cables are very small and seem like they can crimp easily enough.
any special storage needs for the non-cap end of the cable(protection from bent pins, etc)?

maybe a small/medium sized tuperware container with foam and put the whole cap/cable assembly into...

thanks

good to protect the caps, but don't be too concerned with the cables. never had a problem, always just spooled them and velcroed.

if you're gonna be lo pro, real good idea to use cable ties to avoid tangles.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 10:26:30 AM »

lucky bastard!  the good news is you have convinced me to work with Jon to get a similar setup, and hopefully I can get on his calendar after the first of the year!

+T for new toys...even prematurely!

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 10:41:42 AM »
i coil my cables and keep them and the mics in a bulk film canister for each mic.  small and very durable.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 11:53:58 AM »
a nice little fleece bag works wonders for our actives.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 12:39:27 PM »
I have 4022's, a few velcro strips to keep the cables together and organized, coil em' up and store in a foam-lined tuppware, with DUA0020 screens on the mics.

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 09:52:51 PM »
Here's how I stored and transported my DPA 4022s.

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 04:31:47 PM »
bumping this.

I need to figure out how to store my active akg's.  Now i'd like the bodies and everything to stay connected to the preamp.  The capsules are too big to fit in film canisters (too long) so if someone can come up with another idea let me hear it>  Also the wires stick out of the bodies and I don't want them to get bent at the joint.

Second question, my wires have a severe crimp to them,  they never want to bend my way, just thei r own ways. anyone have any suggestions to fix this?
mics & cameras

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 03:31:07 PM »
Here's how I stored and transported my DPA 4022s.

I took one of the cases that the 4022s shipped with then place both caps in the holes for the cap and xlr connection. You can coil both cables around one holder and the caps are safe inside. I dont have a good picture of it but you can see it on this page:

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php?MID=101&itemid=3552&function=pdescription

4022>v2>722
Please dither and resample as you see fit!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 03:35:38 PM »
I have mine in a plastic box with the caps in film canisters, protected by some fleece cloth....I can post pics tonight, but similar to what Nick did above

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 04:17:37 PM »
bumping this.

I need to figure out how to store my active akg's.  Now i'd like the bodies and everything to stay connected to the preamp.  The capsules are too big to fit in film canisters (too long) so if someone can come up with another idea let me hear it>  Also the wires stick out of the bodies and I don't want them to get bent at the joint.

Second question, my wires have a severe crimp to them,  they never want to bend my way, just thei r own ways. anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

sanjay... look into m&m minis containers... they are longer then film canisters and dont have that horrible foam eating residue in there either.  i use 2 m&m minis 'mini' containers (a little smaller than a film canister) for my at853's and also store my extra caps in them too.

open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 05:06:57 PM »
bumping this.

sanjay... look into m&m minis containers... they are longer then film canisters and dont have that horrible foam eating residue in there either.  i use 2 m&m minis 'mini' containers (a little smaller than a film canister) for my at853's and also store my extra caps in them too.

+T You are a scholar and a gentleman

this is exactly what i wanted!
mics & cameras

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 06:25:11 PM »

Very cool!  +T

I was going to suggest that he look for a 3M Film canister that's designed to hold two rolls of 35mm film in a single canister, but this is a cheaper and tastier solution for sure.
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com