Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM  (Read 100719 times)

Offline crazifyngers

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »
yes and it doesn't stutter when the external power drops out.  i run mine off an external 5v battery, no worries.
Gotta love the rat-tail Jerry has; it's where his power comes from!

Offline HarpDoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »
I just ordered a Tekkeon TekCharge.
http://www.adorama.com/TEMP1550.html?utm_source=ET&utm_medium=TransactionalEmail&utm_campaign=2point0Product1

It's only $22 with free shipping. Uses 4 aa batteries instead of an internal lithium polymer. I'm sure it won't provide nearly as much power, but I have lots of nimh batteries laying around that I can use with it and I'm a cheapskate, plus it can charge the batteries for you.

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
Stealthed a 3 hour outdoor show last night running straight in with no external pre. Excellent take and 3 out of 4 bars left with Eneloops. They are great batteries.

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:45 AM »
I was premature in reporting my "great take" running without a preamp with my CA-11's straight into the mic input. Mixing it down with a good set of monitors I discovered subtle distortion, even though the meters did not peak. Looking at the L/R waveforms, they are unbalanced a bit. My assumption is that the plug-in power without the pre/battery box was insufficient. What's disappointing is that it was not a super loud show by rock standards. Further evidence that, with it's size and low plug-in power voltage, this is not an ideal stealth rig.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2010, 12:28:18 PM »
My guss that if set for "alkaline" it would work fine with nizn batteries, since alkaline put out 1.5v. We need someone to be our guinea pig. I'd do it if i didn't just but 8 eneloops and an ac adapter for my dr-2d.

I've been playing around with one of these.  As noticed by others, the low self-discharge NiMH's I use in other recorders drop voltage in this one and shut-down rapidly, so I've been using alkalines. 

I'd rather not use an external supply most of the time.
Anyone try the 1.6v NiZn's yet?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »
Well, the Tekcharge 1550 was a failure. Did not come with tip that fit so I had to order one. Ran test and after one good 2gb file got recording error with unreadable file. Hit record again and same thing. I guess if you're going with an external battery you need to use one of the more expensive ones that puts out more juice. :(

Offline ohm-ish

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2010, 02:06:31 PM »
I'm curious.. ;)
Are the microphones in the DR-2d facing more towards the "operator" or more towards the top/corner grills? Or does it capture sound equally from both directions?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2010, 03:12:19 PM »
^^^
Dunno.  Sounds pretty good gaffer taped directly to the top corner face of an acoustic guitar though.  Which is the only way I've used the internal mics. ;)

On the powering front:
Received the PowerGenix 1.6V NiZn batteries and charger yesterday.  Batteries now charged.  I'll report back after I get around to running some tests.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ohm-ish

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »
^^^
Dunno.  Sounds pretty good gaffer taped directly to the top corner face of an acoustic guitar though.  Which is the only way I've used the internal mics. ;)

On the powering front:
Received the PowerGenix 1.6V NiZn batteries and charger yesterday.  Batteries now charged.  I'll report back after I get around to running some tests.

:D you gaffered the whole unit on to a guitar? hehe, nice. Creativity ftw.
I have ordered my DR-2d now. Got enough black/silver gadgets, so I went for the pearly white edition (DR-2dw)  8)
Ordered Sanyo Eneloop batteries too, and will try, test and report back here

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
:D you gaffered the whole unit on to a guitar? hehe, nice. Creativity ftw.
I have ordered my DR-2d now. Got enough black/silver gadgets, so I went for the pearly white edition (DR-2dw)  8)
Ordered Sanyo Eneloop batteries too, and will try, test and report back here

Yeah, I was playing around with the multi-track feature and the resonance of the guitar transmitted through the recorder body beefed up it's tone nicely, plus the mics were then well placed for vocals.  Pretty funny looking but effective as a quick demo/writing tool.

NiMH might work OK when they are new, but my 2 year old low self-discharge MAHA Imedeons (same tech as the Eneloops, but reportedly test slightly better) do not run it for more than a few minutes before droping voltage enough to stop recording, although playback runs somewhat longer.  The same batteries work fine in my Edirols.  This recorder seems more Voltage sensitive, which is the reason for trying the 1.6V NiZn cells.  Just be aware of it... and welcome to the forum.  :)

Offline ohm-ish

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »
This recorder seems more Voltage sensitive, which is the reason for trying the 1.6V NiZn cells.  Just be aware of it... and welcome to the forum.  :)

Thanks
Do let us know how those NiZn's are working :)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »
Has anyone had any success with an external battery? I ran this for the 2nd time last night, and everything went OK with my new Energizer rechargeables, but the temperament of this recorder with batteries makes me a bit nervous.

Can anyone else vouch for using an old set of eneloops? I'm wondering if this recorder responds the same way to old eneloops as it does old standard brand rechargeables. Maybe eneloops hold their voltage better with age compared to other brands.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »
On the powering front:

~3.5 hrs recording @ 24/24 in dual mode- writing two stereo files for line & mic in (the primary way I'll use it). 
File set 1 = 2:04:12
(auto split)
File set 2 = 1:28:36
(shut down)

Pretty weak.  I'm dissapointed.  Though possibly the batteries need to cycle a few times to achieve max charge.  I'll have to try regular NiMH, see how they do, and if better just remember to charge right before use and keep an eye on run time as they age.

[edit- ran it again with the second pair of NiZn batteries and got almost 4 hrs: file set 1= 2:04:12, file set 2 = 1:52:04.  Files closed fine both times and can be x-fered off the card without issues]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:32:09 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline ohm-ish

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2010, 11:47:56 AM »

Pretty weak.  I'm dissapointed.  Though possibly the batteries need to cycle a few times to achieve max charge.  I'll have to try regular NiMH, see how they do, and if better just remember to charge right before use and keep an eye on run time as they age.

[edit- ran it again with the second pair of NiZn batteries and got almost 4 hrs: file set 1= 2:04:12, file set 2 = 1:52:04.  Files closed fine both times and can be x-fered off the card without issues]

Did you change the battery setting? ALKAL / Ni-MH
Maybe the NiZn needs to be set to Alkaline, since the voltage is so high

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »
Set to alkaline.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com