Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM  (Read 100727 times)

Offline HarpDoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »
Got more than 6 hours of Dual recording with newly charged Eneloops. As previously stated, the dr-2d seems to be picky about battery voltage. I bet a set of nizn batteries would rock in this deck, since they put out 1.6v rather than 1.2 from nimh.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2010, 04:09:18 PM »
I asked the same question in the DR-680 thread, but I'll ask here too as I'm interested in both and the last Tascam deck I used was a cassette portastudio in the late 80's:

What happens with an intermittant power blip?  With my Edirol recorders, at worst the recorder's settings remain intact, I can resume recording to the same card, the file can be simply transfered off card later with the good files and I just need to rewrite a new file header.. the occurance may be rare, but shit happens, and less than graceful performance when an unexpected power blip occurs would be a big step back in reliability and potential agravation IMO.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »
The same NiMH batteries that used to give me 4.5 hrs are now giving me ~2.  May have tracked it down to one particular battery that ended up at much lower voltage.  So the battery life on this unit is far from stellar to begin with, and it looks to be very picky about battery condition as well.

That said, I am benefiting from another cool part of the dual recording functionality.  My main mics are Audix M1290s, which I love, but they are pretty sensitive to wind even with dead rats - the smallish size of even "large" wdinscreens for mics this small just limits what can be done.  So I did dual recording with Audix>Littlebox>Line in and AT822 (with a big fat head and dead rat) > Mic in at an outdoor concert in the Sierra foothills which I figured could get windy, and did.  Two perfectly synced recordings to easily line up for cross fades for the couple songs with serious wind issues.   :)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »
I asked the same question in the DR-680 thread, but I'll ask here too as I'm interested in both and the last Tascam deck I used was a cassette portastudio in the late 80's:

What happens with an intermittant power blip?  With my Edirol recorders, at worst the recorder's settings remain intact, I can resume recording to the same card, the file can be simply transfered off card later with the good files and I just need to rewrite a new file header.. the occurance may be rare, but shit happens, and less than graceful performance when an unexpected power blip occurs would be a big step back in reliability and potential agravation IMO.

The Tascam firmware is superior to the Edirol's IMO, for I have never experienced a header issue in the 2 years I've recorded with the DR-1.  Never.  However, I did have header issues with the original R09 on 2 occasions.  Tascam's firmware is flawless in terms of reliability.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

The Tascam firmware is superior to the Edirol's IMO, for I have never experienced a header issue in the 2 years I've recorded with the DR-1.  Never.  However, I did have header issues with the original R09 on 2 occasions.  Tascam's firmware is flawless in terms of reliability.

Good to hear Dan, so just to confirm, the current file is saved OK when the batteries die on your DR1 & DR2?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »
Took my new DR-2D out stealthing in Europe for Clapton/Winwood running MK4s with an NBox.  Very good results but battery life is a definite weak spot.  Unless I used Lithium AAs. I was hard pressed for much more than two hours.  Unfortunately I learned that the hard way in Birmingham.  I haven't had the opportunity to use the dual mode yet nor have I used the mic inputs but aside from the battery issues I think its a good little recorder

Birmingham
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=304630
Wembley 1
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=304873
Wembley 2
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=305091
Antwerp
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=305452

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
Good news. 

1)  Tested the 2d with a brand new set of Energizer 2450 rechargeables.  Ran 24/44.1 with the onboard mics and got 5:44:59 total recording time.  I got 4:38:15 from a pair of Duracell Coppers when I did that test a few weeks ago. 

2)  When the batteries run out, a "low battery" message comes on, and the track is automatically saved.

+T to Tascam.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:10 PM »
Reading back on the posts, looks like NIMH 1.2v rechargeables have issues with this unit as the bats gets older.  Quick like. 

Anybody try these 1.6v NIZN bats by Powergenix?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/09/powergenix-nizn-rechargeable-aa-batteries-finally-some-cells-w/

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
Reading back on the posts, looks like NIMH 1.2v rechargeables have issues with this unit as the bats gets older.  Quick like. 

Anybody try these 1.6v NIZN bats by Powergenix?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/09/powergenix-nizn-rechargeable-aa-batteries-finally-some-cells-w/

Hmm, one potential drawback I see is that the same auto-stop and save at low voltage you were praising could also lead to seriously premature shutdown if the DR2d doesn't "know" how to interpret the NiZn discharge curve.  Can you run the voltage on these down as low as you would a NiMH?

Offline rainingvodka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mics? No I'm just happy to see you.
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2010, 03:06:11 AM »
I have some older 2500 targus NiMH that will last no more than two hours in the dr2d.  The same batteries last four hours or so in the edirol r-09.  I just got some Powerex 2700 NIMH, however, and they last well over four hours in the dr2d.  So yeah it's power hungry but the ability to use dual mode to record two identical tracks at different levels is tits for when you're not sure what the dynamic range is gonna be.  Wish u could do dual mode with the line-in, but these ears can't tell the difference between the mic in / line-in recordings using on my playback equipment.
schoeps mk4 + cmr->naiant tiny box->tascam dr-2d

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2010, 07:26:20 AM »
So I guess we need to figure out how to keep our new batteries as new for the longest period of time. I'm assuming the discharge curve of an older battery loses voltage faster than a new one. Are certain batteries better at retaining their voltage over time/recharge cycles than others? Are certain chargers better for the same thing? I'd hate to be surprised that my 5.5hr batteries suddenly net only 2hrs during a show.

Offline HarpDoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
My guss that if set for "alkaline" it would work fine with nizn batteries, since alkaline put out 1.5v. We need someone to be our guinea pig. I'd do it if i didn't just but 8 eneloops and an ac adapter for my dr-2d.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2010, 12:27:18 PM »
Picked up a Dr2d at Guitar Center (they will price match B&H at $239) and took it to a festival.

Here's my thoughts after using it fairly heavily over the festi weekend..

* Battery life sucks...but we knew that already
* The dual recording function works well...took me a few tries to figure out that you have to set the input to mic then the dual function to line but I was drinking and didn't read the manual as thoroughly as I should have.
* The meters are crap compared to my PMD620 but I like the numerical peak readout.
* The mic input will brickwall on loud sources. I patched out of Zman's 722 and it was bricked. Patched out of ScottT's DR07 and it was perfect.Another taper took it as part of a second rig to cover some sets at other stages and one of the recordings looks brickwalled but sounds okay. I'm guessing he ran mic in out of the preamp instead of line in.
* Sounds a little brighter than my 620 (which I think sounds fairly neutral) but has excellent bass response. I used it for some AK30 split omni recordings and they turned out real nice.
* Used the internal mics to record an acoustic blues singer down at my corner pub....bright sounding mics but fine for what they are.
* Got some static pops at the beginning of some sets...I think the input jacks may be susceptible to noise from the plug getting moved around in the jack when handling it during recording. I don't stealth so I'll just figure out a way to not mess with it while running or slap some gaff tape on it to keep it secure.

All in all I'm happy with it...having a four channel handheld is pretty badass. Since I've started running my Littlebox I have so much room in my gear bag I can carry both recorders and all the necessary cables to patch SBDs for when the opportunity presents itself.

****I ran the Dr2d on a Tekkeon battery for two days and didn't even use half. Expensive but awesome solution for open taping at festivals and such. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for one of those Digital Concepts 5v batts that I used to use with my MT.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »
Lenmar powerport works great!  I used mine with the MTII and Ted made me a cable for my H120.  It will hold a charge for a really long time.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »

****I ran the Dr2d on a Tekkeon battery for two days and didn't even use half. Expensive but awesome solution for open taping at festivals and such. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for one of those Digital Concepts 5v batts that I used to use with my MT.

Not a bad idea to pick up one of those 5v batteries... Can you run the DR-2d with an external and internal batteries?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com