Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V-Tel Omni Question - how to extract the AT853 Omni Cap contained within?  (Read 2885 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
So I found a pair of these V-Tel Omni's and they do indeed contain the AT 853 Omni Capsule inside!

Looks like there may be some surgery required to remove these so I could use them with my 853 bodies? I see the threading so I don't doubt that they would screw right on to the bodies, however the wires coming out are what concern me.
Has anyone ever extracted these omni caps from the V-Tel housing?
Any advice / instruction would be appreciated!
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
You found them!

Take out the Phillips screws on either side of the capsule.
The "bodies" are just the metal parts (no plastic case), with bare wires coming out.
The capsules will unscrew.

You can use the "bodies" if you want but you'll have to solder a proper cable onto them.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:39:27 AM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
You found them!

Take out the Phillips screws on either side of the capsule.
The "bodies" are just the metal parts (no plastic case), with bare wires coming out.
The capsules will unscrew.

You can use the "bodies" if you want but you'll have to solder a proper cable onto them.

Have fun!

I was hoping to remove the caps and use them with my regular AT 853 bodies that I purchased in Yardsale (either from Ted or Darktrain - don't remember which at the moment). (Wasn't really thinking to use any of the guts inside that V-Tel)
Do I have to cut those wires to get the omni cap off?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
You don't need to cut the wires, the caps should screw off of the short body which has the wires exiting it to the circuit board.  Remove the phillips head screws securing the strap holding the short body section down, then lift and unscrew the capsule from the short body.  You might need to remove a few other screws holding the circuit board in place so that you can lift the board/microphone enough to unscrew the cap, but it doesn't look like that would be necessary.

You can easily replace the cap at any time to use it in this boundary mic housing if you want.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
You don't need to cut the wires, the caps should screw off of the short body which has the wires exiting it to the circuit board.  Remove the phillips head screws securing the strap holding the short body section down, then lift and unscrew the capsule from the short body.  You might need to remove a few other screws holding the circuit board in place so that you can lift the board/microphone enough to unscrew the cap, but it doesn't look like that would be necessary.

You can easily replace the cap at any time to use it in this boundary mic housing if you want.

Great. Thanks so much for the info. Seeing the internals of this V-Tel has gotten me curious... I wonder how the circuitry and components differ from the standard AT phantom power modules? I wonder if the V-Tel is just a flattened out version and whether either one is better than the other...sonically.

I can see doing a lot of experimentation.  The whole “boundary” mic thing is kind of fascinating to me. I plugged these in when I got them and listened through headphones as I rotated them around and changed up the direction, spacing, orientation etc.
they seem to have very directional properties for an “Omni”

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
They aren't omni anymore once mounted on a baffle.  They'll be more or less hemispherically directional in the higher frequencies mounted in that flat plate housing, and become similarly hemispherical directional to lower and lower frequencies as the surface on which the housing is set against is increased in size.  Boundarly mounting does a few other cool things, but that's the most basic effect.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)

I wonder how the circuitry and components differ from the standard AT phantom power modules? I wonder if the V-Tel is just a flattened out version and whether either one is better than the other...sonically.
Exactly.  That circuitry you see is the standard P48 circuit.  AT uses a transformer.  The FET is inside the metal microphone body.  The leads connect it to the board which has FET power supply, low cut filter, line driver, etc.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com