Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 7 sales end this Friday  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Windows 7 sales end this Friday
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:33 AM »
Not sure how this applies to OEM discs...?

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2839479/microsoft-subnet/windows-7-sales-end-this-friday.html

Microsoft will stop selling Windows 7 licenses to OEMs after this Friday and you will only be able to buy a machine with Windows 8.1.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Windows 7 sales end this Friday
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 02:57:06 AM »
I've been using Windows 10 for a few weeks now, and have to say I'm pretty happy with it.

If I wasn't...I'd be stock piling some of the Win7 OEM discs.

So only a 6 month (or so) window with a shitty OS as your only option.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
I've been using Windows 10 for a few weeks now, and have to say I'm pretty happy with it.

A completely false, hypocritical statement.  Keep drinking the kool-aid.  Seriously, if you like 10, then you're saying you like 8.  The jump from 8 to 10 is not that significant at all, after all the updates that were done to 8 over the last two years.  It reminds me of the times when people trashed XP into oblivion when it first came out............     

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

A completely false, hypocritical statement.  Keep drinking the kool-aid.  Seriously, if you like 10, then you're saying you like 8.  The jump from 8 to 10 is not that significant at all, after all the updates that were done to 8 over the last two years.  It reminds me of the times when people trashed XP into oblivion when it first came out............   

can't comment on 10 yet, but windows 8 is garbage. plain and simple.  I make my living building software for windows, and I've been doing this for a long long time. windows 8 is the worst OS I've ever encountered by an incredibly wide margin.

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
can't comment on 10 yet, but windows 8 is garbage. plain and simple.  I make my living building software for windows, and I've been doing this for a long long time. windows 8 is the worst OS I've ever encountered by an incredibly wide margin.

I'm a developer too, but Win8's flaws pale in comparison to the awful crap that is Visual Studio these days.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »

Uh...are you having a shitty day? That is sort of a rude comment, which I've never seen from you before.

Care to explain how my opinion could be false? I don't quite get the hypocritical part either.

My only gripe about Windows 8 was the way things got moved around from Windows 7/XP/etc. I couldn't find things like the Control Panel, etc. that were previously in the Start Menu. Windows 10 has put everything back. It appears to be a bit faster than Windows 7 as well. It most certainly is a huge upgrade from Windows 8.

As far as the Kool Aid comment...I don't use Windows because I think it's the best OS. I use Windows because it runs the programs I want to run. Personally I like Ubuntu the best, followed by OS X. Windows is actually 3rd, but again...my programs run on Windows...so I use Windows most of the time.

With the extra speed, reverting the layout back to being similar to Windows 7 (at least for desktop/laptop use), and the fact that Windows 10 will receive security updates, it's clearly the best option if you need to run Windows programs.

I think for my next computer I will likely run Ubuntu as my main OS, and just boot into Windows 10 when I need to run Windows programs.

Bummer to hear that Window 8 is hard to develop for.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Marshall7

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »
At least on my screen on this log in, the top of page ad is:

Windows 7 Professional
Find The Best Online Deals on Windows 7 Pro Starts from $50

;D

Offline Bruce Watson

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
Didn't take much of a search. Here's the Microsoft webpage on OS lifecycles. Windows 7 sales end today. Mainstream support (updates?) ends two and a half months from now, on January 13, 2015.

That said, Win8.1 is rock solid, at least for me. I built a new computer for video editing back in February and have been on it nearly every day for hours each day since. Never once had an OS failure (BSOD). I had a few BSOD from win7sp1 over about five years, but different (older) hardware. And Win8.1 is noticeably faster. Win8.1 is the best OS Microsoft has made IMHO.

With a little work (half a day of research and tweaking) you can make it look and work remarkably like Win7 if that's what you want. I did, and I'm pretty happy with it. Clearly this is a religious issue, and therefore YMMV.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:43:39 AM by Bruce Watson »

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
BeOS forever!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com