Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Camcorder not showing up as a device when connected via firewire  (Read 8172 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
When I plug my Canon HV20 into my computer's front-mounted firewire port (it connects via a header on the motherboard, not from a PCI card), it does not show up as a device in Windows XP SP2.  I don't get any indication that the OS knows I plugged the device in and the LCD screen on the camcorder does not give any indication that it knows it's plugged into the computer.

I know the cable and the port both work because it's the same cable and port I use to transfer my SBD recordings from my JB3.  The camcorder doesn't show up as "online" in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 either.

I've tried HDV and regular DV footage and all of the variations of settings on the camera but I can't figure it out.  I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Camcorder not showing up as a device when connected via firewire
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 03:59:31 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is trying a different application to capture your DV footage..
Try: WinDV - http://windv.mourek.cz/
       Scenalyzer - http://www.scenalyzer.com/
       Windows Movie Maker

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 04:10:28 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is trying a different application to capture your DV footage..
Try: WinDV - http://windv.mourek.cz/
       Scenalyzer - http://www.scenalyzer.com/
       Windows Movie Maker

But the problem isn't that the programs can't see the device.  It's that Windows doesn't recognize the device in the first place.

If Windows can't see the device, then how can the app?

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 04:55:47 AM »
I don't think I've ever had a DV camera show a "Device Connected" message (or any other indication, for that matter) when I plugged it in.

Is the HV20 in "VCR" mode?
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »
I don't think I've ever had a DV camera show a "Device Connected" message (or any other indication, for that matter) when I plugged it in.

Is the HV20 in "VCR" mode?

Yeah it's in the playback mode when I connect it.

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 03:42:08 PM »

Have any firewire drives you can try out?  That would help determine if the firewire adapter is working properly.

Also, you might try the camera on a different computer to determine whether the camera is working properly.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »

Have any firewire drives you can try out?  That would help determine if the firewire adapter is working properly.

Also, you might try the camera on a different computer to determine whether the camera is working properly.

My JB3 works in the same port with the same cable just fine.

I actually tried it on three different computers last night and none of them detected the camcorder.  It's some kind of setting that I'm not using properly but I don't know what it is.

Offline wilsonedits

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:17:48 PM »
yet another drawback with those cheap hd cams... alot of people have serious issues with transfers

was the footage shot in HD or SD?
P2 yo

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 11:25:51 PM »
yet another drawback with those cheap hd cams... alot of people have serious issues with transfers

was the footage shot in HD or SD?

I've tried both HD and SD footage.

Offline wilsonedits

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 02:50:58 AM »
that sucks..maybe you can find someone with a dv deck... or another camera to try.... 

also maybe possible that you just got a cam with a bad firewire... its a common thing to have issues with
P2 yo

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 03:10:33 AM »
that sucks..maybe you can find someone with a dv deck... or another camera to try.... 

also maybe possible that you just got a cam with a bad firewire... its a common thing to have issues with

Yeah it seems like this is an issue that happens with hundreds of people but in all of my googling I can't find any concrete solutions.

I guess the camcorder could be bad.  Suppose I'll have to send it into Canon.  Fuck.

Offline dxtreme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »
I dont want to be a bearer of bad news. FIrewire connection is extremely sensitive and it is very easy to destroy the firewire port on a camcorder. People that connects and disconnects the cables without powering off the device is the biggest cause. One of our camera in our production house has its port toasted because of this.

Try to use the usb port or any other ports on the hv20 to transfer your footage. Worst comes to worst, get the Intensity hdmi card for your PC (~$250) and use your camera's hdmi to transfer. HDMI gives you a far superior HD footages, I highly recommend it for any camcorder with hdmi port.

Be very careful when connecting and disconnecting firewire ports on your PC and camera.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 08:18:17 PM »
I dont want to be a bearer of bad news. FIrewire connection is extremely sensitive and it is very easy to destroy the firewire port on a camcorder. People that connects and disconnects the cables without powering off the device is the biggest cause. One of our camera in our production house has its port toasted because of this.

Try to use the usb port or any other ports on the hv20 to transfer your footage. Worst comes to worst, get the Intensity hdmi card for your PC (~$250) and use your camera's hdmi to transfer. HDMI gives you a far superior HD footages, I highly recommend it for any camcorder with hdmi port.

Be very careful when connecting and disconnecting firewire ports on your PC and camera.

I think this thing's port was toasted from the get-go.  I tried using it with a Macbook Pro today and it didn't recognize it either.  I'm just going to send it in to ZipZoomFly for an exchange when I'm done filming these shows in early May.  It'll still be within the 30 days of purchase by that time (I have until May 11th).

How does the HDMI output give superior footage to firewire?   Everything I'm reading on Intensity's website makes me think that you only get superior footage if you film and output directly to HDMI instead of going to HDV.  If my stuff is already in HDV then I don't think the HDMI output can make it look any better than it already is.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:21:02 PM by bconnolly »

Offline dxtreme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »
Yes, the intensity card capture the footage that you record straight from the sensor to a computer. That way, it avoids getting compressed to become HDV. It is perfect with your Mac book Pro, YOu get superior quality (4x and 4:2:2 colorspace), instant edit (no need to download) plus you don't have to buy tape anymore, ever.

If it still under warranty, i would definitely return the camera and jsut tell them the firewire was DOA. I am looking to get the hv20 myself :)

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 09:44:01 PM »
Yes, the intensity card capture the footage that you record straight from the sensor to a computer. That way, it avoids getting compressed to become HDV. It is perfect with your Mac book Pro, YOu get superior quality (4x and 4:2:2 colorspace), instant edit (no need to download) plus you don't have to buy tape anymore, ever.

If it still under warranty, i would definitely return the camera and jsut tell them the firewire was DOA. I am looking to get the hv20 myself :)

I don't think I'd ever be in a situation where I'd be able to record from the camcorder to a computer.  Just doesn't seem feasible.  And the MBP isn't mine, it's my employer's.

The device is definitely still covered by Canon's warranty but, more importantly, it's still exchangeable with the retailer from which I bought it.  So I'll exchange it with them first and if it breaks again I'll have to send it to Canon.

Thanks for the info on the HDMI stuff, though.  Interesting to know.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com