Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: is my minime defective?!  (Read 3542 times)

Offline satiricalwonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
is my minime defective?!
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:43:24 PM »
I did some recordings of relatively quiet sound sources (piano, guitar) with the Apogee mini-me, which was fine, and then eventually I tried it with 184s in xy as drum overheads and even 10 feet away at minimum gain the pre's were overloading! WAY TOO HOT!! Is this normal? I could actually hear the pre's overloading when the converters were not. Would you recommend using the shure inline pads (http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Accessories/us_pro_A15AS_content)?

Please help! I am uncomfortable using this unit in a paid gig now that I saw it overload with 0 gain, drums or no drums.

I don't know what do to and don't have money to invest in good pre's to use with this box. I thought it would be all in one (as far as good pre's and good conversion). :-[

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: is my minime defective?!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »
there are internal jumpers that will shift the pres from high-gain to low-gain. It's been a few years since I sold mine but I believe it shipped in "high-gain"

it's very simple to do
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

easy jim

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »
there are internal jumpers that will shift the pres from high-gain to low-gain. It's been a few years since I sold mine but I believe it shipped in "high-gain"

it's very simple to do

Good call.  It's probably the jumpers being set to high gain.  You may also want to check the mini-trim screws for each channel recessed under the gain knobs.  For them, you'll need a jeweler's screwdriver to make adjustments.

Offline satiricalwonder

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
thank you so much for your comments. i was quite weary of using anything in the signal chain before the preamp.

as soon as i get off work i'm gonna check out the jumper situation. my fingers are crossed that you are right!

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »
thank you so much for your comments. i was quite weary of using anything in the signal chain before the preamp.

as soon as i get off work i'm gonna check out the jumper situation. my fingers are crossed that you are right!

yup, most likely the jumpers.  they are an easy swap, takes 10 minutes to pop the top, switch them back and pop the top back on.

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »
Anyone have a jpg of the top-popped mini-me to point out the jumpers?

My unit is pretty damned hot, which wasn't a problem until the Neumann's went to get serviced and the 4021s went directly into the Mini-me.  I had used the -10dB pads on the 150s and never peaked.  Without the pad, any loud show has the potential to be a problem.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »
Anyone have a jpg of the top-popped mini-me to point out the jumpers?

My unit is pretty damned hot, which wasn't a problem until the Neumann's went to get serviced and the 4021s went directly into the Mini-me.  I had used the -10dB pads on the 150s and never peaked.  Without the pad, any loud show has the potential to be a problem.

look on page 23-24 of the manual:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,37962.0.html

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »
Thanks Jason.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 11:43:51 PM »

You can say that again!  ;)
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline satiricalwonder

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:18:14 AM »
I wasn't able to deal with the issue last night because unfortunately I didn't have a hex driver. Could anybody tell me the size I need to have to open the Mini-me? If it comes down to it I'll just pick up a few different ones at home depot later.

Thanks again!

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 07:53:44 AM »

it's very simple to do

Good call.  It's probably the jumpers being set to high gain.  You may also want to check the mini-trim screws for each channel recessed under the gain knobs.  For them, you'll need a jeweler's screwdriver to make adjustments.

Sounds like the jumpers set to high gain and Tim is correct it is shipped with them set to "high." Once you crack the minime open you might need a pair of tweezers to remove and replace them as they are tiny from what I recall.

You shouldn't have to touch the screw pots under the gain knobs unless you are running another preamp in front and bypassing the pre's of the minime. Easyjim is right that you will need a jewler's screwdriver or something similar to adjust these pots if that is indeed your setup, good luck !
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »
I wasn't able to deal with the issue last night because unfortunately I didn't have a hex driver. Could anybody tell me the size I need to have to open the Mini-me? If it comes down to it I'll just pick up a few different ones at home depot later.

Thanks again!

You can get a pack of like 8 Allen wrenches at Home Depot for about $4.  While you are there, you may also want to get some rubber-tipped tweezers to remove the jumpers because they are tiny, as I recall.  Really easy to do, however.  Good luck!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »
I remember opening up my minime and finding the jumpers without too much effort.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »
yeah I think they are fairly obvious. 2 white jumpers if I recall...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.203 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com